Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Was it an achievement?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So, just finished the game. I honestly can't complain much. Unity sometimes runs likes ass, that's just how it is and there are some minor bugs but nothing out of the ordinary for a new release. I enjoyed it for the most part, solid 7/10 for me.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So, just finished the game. I honestly can't complain much. Unity sometimes runs likes ass, that's just how it is and there are some minor bugs but nothing out of the ordinary for a new release. I enjoyed it for the most part, solid 7/10 for me.

Minor bugs? LOL
Ahhh it is all about that luck mate,i too didn't have any major bugs.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Minor bugs? LOL

I've had that one bug where Lucia would leave for no real reason and a few camera and control issues, nothing major though.

Interestingly enough I got a decent ending despite making rather erratic decisions.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Interestingly enough I got a decent ending despite making rather erratic decisions.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Assuming that there are many different endings,there is not much to fuck up in the game. The quest structure is very simple and there is not many quests really,maybe 20ish.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So I finally finished the game, and I won the entire thing, rangers taking over. Getting the hardest achievement, November reigns, which only 0.3 % has atm ;)

Patriarch Jailed, Liberty Jailed.. and rest of dem gangs killeddd

Minor bugs? LOL

Do you guys also encounter the bug where the location name gets stuck on screen? It happens all the time, and it drives me crazy.

Last edited:
So I finally finished the game, and I won the entire thing, rangers taking over. Getting the hardest achievement, November reigns, which only 0.3 % has atm ;)

Uhm...that’s not the best ending. As long as any member of the royal family still lives, there’ll always be royalist rebels who want to put them back on the throne. Gotta do it the February Revolution style.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter

Uhm...that’s not the best ending. As long as any member of the royal family still lives, there’ll always be royalist rebels who want to put them back on the throne. Gotta do it the February Revolution style.
Best ending is killing the traitor firecrotch. If you side with the patriarch and stay in Colorado the end slide says the rangers choose his successor.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

I don't think there are too many endings if you side with the Patriarch. Just some details like what you did with the quest locations and stuff.
Siding with Angela has more variety I believe. Also depending on if you let those warlords from the bunker.
Also there is a faux ending if you side with Liberty.

Generally a lot of ending slide interactivity from the main game, many more slides than similar games. Its near, that fake "slightly different ending" c&c is much better than no C&C.

I don't think there are too many endings if you side with the Patriarch. Just some details like what you did with the quest locations and stuff.
Siding with Angela has more variety I believe. Also depending on if you let those warlords from the bunker.
Also there is a faux ending if you side with Liberty.

Generally a lot of ending slide interactivity from the main game, many more slides than similar games. Its near, that fake "slightly different ending" c&c is much better than no C&C.

That sounds way better than, say, the ending of PoE2, to be honest. So good job there.

Barbarian

Arcane
I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised with this. Probably the most enjoyable rpg I have played since Expeditions Vikings.

Much more polished than Wasteland 2(yes, even the DC). Some crashes here and there but overall a bugless experience. Maybe Fargo finally learned his lesson.

Also I have to hand it for old Fargo for leaving his employees politics out of this one. Maybe I'm skewed but most games I have played as of late had some kind of either "orange man bad" reference or sjw baloney. This time I could actually enjoy the game without some lame ass actvist writer shoehorning his preachy liberal shit in it. Wasteland 2 was also free of this crap, but I figure in current year it is more difficult to do so.

About the endings:

I mantained a full recruit party and sided with the Patriarch on my first run. Loaded an earlier save afterwards just to try out one of the many possibilities of siding with Deth. Got to say leaving the old man in power is as closest to a "good" ending I could get. Siding with Deth seems to inevitably end with mayheim and destruction. As far as companions go I had to arrest Kwon, killed Lucia and Josie left the rangers(with her ending slide stating that her parents were killed by raiders due to the rangers leaving Arizona to take over Colorado). Then there is Cordite bringing a horde into Kansas in order to raid, kill and enslave. Hard to justify Deth's "plan" when it involves unleashing a warlord that is worse than Buchanan in every aspect. At least Buchanan had mostly good intentions.

On the other hand mantaining Buchanan in power meant stability, safety and prosperity for both Colorado and Arizona. One of my ending slides also stated that there was an agreement with Buchanan that the rangers would pick his sucessor. All recruits I had with me had a good ending too.

Ok, finished the game and I can say I had a nice time with it. First InXile game that I can recommend what was a real surprise as I was expecting the worst for this game as Im really, really not a fan of NumaNuma and Wasteland 2. This is the first InXile game that isnt amateurish garbage, it isnt dull and half finished as NumaNuma and Wasteland 2.

Not everything are roses, things like the bad combat balance (I really doubt Fargo if this game had a Q&A team at all or they really didnt play the combat), the lack of individual initiative, , HP inflation, the pratically blind enemies before combat starts, the excessive amount of skill points/attributes per level, the MMO tier item progression, the smaller scope of the game, the bad performance and etc were talked to death on this thread so I wont repeat myself and lets say many good rpgs arent exactly good examples on those areas either.

So, if all the things I mentioned above are bad, why am I recommending the game? Because despite that, there is a core of a solid game in there. The combat is flawed but the itemization is really, really good (no item fever garbage here), there is unique hand placed loot everywhere, the balance between the attributes is also really, really good, there are no dump stats on this game and pretty much all stats are useful to everyone, this would make Sawyer proud but on contrary of PoE, Wasteland 3 is fun to play. The itemization + character building is half the reason to play this game.

The other reason of why people should play this game is that the writing and choices are much better now. I would say that all of sudden, the writing on Wasteland 3 got exponentially clever in comparison with Wasteland 2. No, you wont chase radio towers for 20 hs, no, your ultra badass military rangers wont be wiped out by wild dogs and there isnt exactly a main villain wanting to destroy the world this time. The Patriarch is a very interesting and flawed character and the choice between him and Angela Deth is interesting because both are right, he is a liar and hypocrite but Angela Deth way, way too idealistic with no practical concerns personality that thinks everything is simple is also wrong.

Just to make things clear, this is not a realistic grim dark RPG, there is grim dark edgyness in there but there is alot of whacky stuff too, I was afraid this would be retarded like Borderlands but no, even in the most whacky moments, I could still buy it but if your sensibility for that sort of stuff is high, you might have problems here. Example:

There is a psychopath drug dealer that likes to wear a Santa Claus costume and he has a bunch of slaves wearing cotumes that are his elves that work making his drugs that he keeps under control with collar bombs. He likes to go on radio and sing his advertisement for his "gifts" with a Christimas carol song with custom lyrics as if it was written by a crackhead, this is the most whacky shit I encountered. Yes, if you have zero tolerance to whackiness, this will be a problem but to be fair this is a Wasteland thing at this point.

There are three things I would like to add about the writing. The first is I think this game needed more content for both Angela Deth and the Patriarch make their cases, the Patriarch saves your ass on the begining of the game and it was his proposal to begin with to save the Arizona rangers, his position starts as way too strong and the game doesnt work hard enough to make Angela Deth position more reasonable, her plan is ridiculous and based on only trust when she is dealing with ruthless warlords. She isnt a bad character but there is no real reason to support her.

The second, they dropped the ball with the Patriarch children, all three are weak characters, especially Liberty, her position should also be more reasonable, as things stand now, she is the LOL evil option as the game present her, she looks like a crazy rabid dog than a proper leader figure for Colorado.

The third thing, I dont think the world building of Wasteland 3 comes even closer to something like Fallout New Vegas or Atom for example in terms of being unique. The future 50's america and the gritty soviet post apoc are way more interesting settings, they tried with the 80's Reagan era stuff but I dont think they were successful into making an unique Wasteland setting, Wasteland seems to still be pulling its best stuff from other settings instead of making something unique and sorry, you cant make an entire setting being based on "Whacky TM" as that would be boring beyond belief. I really recommend people to play Beautiful Desolation to see what is an unique pos apoc setting.

Overall, I still think it is an above average RPG and it isn't a waste of time to play it.

"MMO tier item progression"+ "HP bloat" why do so many modern games have problems with this? Is it because they believe their audience likes this? They grew up playing games that itemized weapons in this fashion so they just think that is how it is done and its awesome? Its one of my biggest pet peeves, runaway HP damage combined with bland, MMO style weapon itemization. You can almost see the colors on the weapon tiers.

edit: am enjoying the game so far. Favorite modern Inexile game, but so far these would be my two biggest gripes along with combat balancing and Alpha striking.

This is a surprisingly well-written review (8/10):

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2...-shakespearean-narrative-in-a-lifeless-world/

I especailly agree with the part about how the game world is constructed.

It’s difficult to view Colorado as anything other than a collection of bizarre locations for the player’s entertainment, rather than a place where people might actually live. In contrast to, say, the tilled fields of Fallout’s Shady Sands or the caravan drives of New Vegas, which are there almost exclusively for world-building detail, Colorado feels empty and lifeless. You encounter randomized merchants, visit a mine, help out at a bison ranch, rescue a family at a farmstead – all things that point to a wider society and economy, but they don’t feel like they exist apart from the player.

The art direction and presentation are questionable too. While some might dig the brash font, the hugely oversized UI, the blazing blue box around dialogue choices, the ostentatious way the combat grid unfolds over the landscape at the start of battle, the not-quite-cartoon-but-not-quite-real character models, and the oversized location and snow car markers on the world map, I found it all a bit too much. Perhaps it works better on consoles, farther away from the screen, but too often I felt like I was in a post-apocalypse as imagined by NASCAR, rather than playing a true successor to Wasteland or a spiritual successor to Fallout.

Ultimately, Wasteland 3 succeeds on its narrative, choice system, strong characters, and compelling factions. It stumbles in its lifeless world, inconsistent presentation, familiar gameplay, and technical side – it often feels like a snow-themed reskin of Wasteland 2, with many of that title’s limitations and janky systems. Nonetheless, designer Brian Fargo has here made the best post-apocalyptic RPG since Fallout: New Vegas. It’s just not as good as the one he made 23 years ago with Fallout.

Funny thing is, the game STILL managed to garner an 8 out of 10, both from the reviewer and myself, despite this. I think if Fargo spent some time developing the world of Wasteland to be less contrived and more thematically consistent (like how Fallout is!), it could really elevate this series in its next installments.

I wish he would, I am not sure why he wants to make it so 'wacky'. I wish he would tone it down a bit and make it more like original fallout.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I finished the game on hard mode and it was a pretty good ride. I'd say it's a 8 from me.

I think a lot of things were said by others that I agree about the game. The meat is pretty delicious but there's not enough on the bone. For example I would've liked a fuller resolution between Monster Army and Brygo's faction. And also some callback to previous gang interactions when the player meets more of them by the endgame.

Specialization is important no doubt but I can say for certain that Animal Whisperer is one of the most useful skill...It saved my hide multiple times as the animals scale on same difficulty slide as the rest of the NPCs so while a ranger with strength 10 and extra health perk hovered at around 550 HP, a chicken on 10 Whisperer skill channeled its T-rex ancestor and had ~2300 HP dishing out 300-600 on critical hits. And there are a lot of wildlife everywhere, so one can't run out of em. And animals confer bonuses to boot.

And the item that ranks up there with Animal Whisperer in usefulness would be the Hologram. You need some Mechanics skill to throw it during battle, but it aggros the enemy hard more or less netting you a free turn in some cases. And they come very cheap.

"Wasteland should be more like Fall-"

No.
why? Fallout was made because he could not get wasteland IP. What is actually gained from the wacky clown shit, the rabbits and the nuns with guns and the way too many robots everywhere? Its always been the worst part of wasteland, adds nothing at all, and many times feels likes its trying too hard to be 'crazy' or something. The best parts are when its not doing that. The prisoner guy was good, but he was not 'wacky' clown guy, he was more like 'the dude' from the great lebowski or something.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Well, honestly, would I have wanted a real Fallout 3, that looked like wasteland 3, but with fallout 3 content from the original creators? obviously, the answer would be yes.

But we're never getting a fallout game in line with 1 and 2, so wasteland 3 and other IPs are the closest thing we are getting, and that's good enough for me. The 80s stuff and reagan setting is also fun.

I could do with less zany shit in wasteland 3, but I've come to embrace it now, and just go with it as part of the charm and universe. don't tihnk too hard :)

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I see a lot of praise for the voice acting, and while some of it is indeed good, most of the voice acting sounds like it's done by nasally fat chicks trying to sound badass while reading off the lines written by tumblr dykes.

kmzEg1r.png

N3Rebzs.png

This character is soooo badass man, torture doesn't even phase her, locked in a freezer and lost her fingers to frost bite, no big deal it's a snack! Wonder how she ever got taken alive though? And yeah, losing a finger is totally the worse than that could happen.

(and even has the insult "shitlord" unironically used in dialogue.... :lol:)

Edit: has my dude rusty_shackleford been F5ing waiting for me to post for hours? He's ready with his silly downdoot less than 2 minutes after I posted in a dormant thread.
New ineptile game, yippee kay yay batman
zU064MP.gif
What's even funnier, when you meet her again in Ranger HQ she's basically crying and saying she wants to go home :D. Worst written character in the whole game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Extremely Khaw.

why? Fallout was made because he could not get wasteland IP. What is actually gained from the wacky clown shit, the rabbits and the nuns with guns and the way too many robots everywhere? Its always been the worst part of wasteland, adds nothing at all, and many times feels likes its trying too hard to be 'crazy' or something. The best parts are when its not doing that. The prisoner guy was good, but he was not 'wacky' clown guy, he was more like 'the dude' from the great lebowski or something.

Fallout was made by a different group of people who had a different tone in mind. Wasteland should retain its own identity rather than copy its successor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom