Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
Because it's the only part of the kit that's actually important and it gives up a lot to get it.
Dispel is capped at level 30.
Probably right, been a while since I've even thought about this stuff. I know a bunch gets capped at 20, and Inquisitor has the highest dispel level possible.

actually, does dispel get capped at all? If so, then they were right about bards being the second best dispeller.

Cael

Arcane
Keldorn is a Paladin. There are rules against Paladins and Evil characters in a party.

Solution: Don't play Evil.
There is nothing remotely as explicit in the Baldur's Gate games. Not only does no one in your party care about what your main character's alignment is because it's mostly window dressing, Keldorn himself has a tolerable relationship with Korgan and has no issue fighting alongside Sarevok, Mazzy has vitriol towards evil but doesn't outright break a party - with vanilla evil companions, at least - and Aerie can only potentially be ran off the party by Korgan, or attacked by Chaotic Neutral Anomen.
Keldorn will eventually fight any Evil character. Those who want to romance Viconia would do well to either keep Keldorn out of the party or slap a helm of opposite alignment on Viconia.

Cael

Arcane
Because it's the only part of the kit that's actually important and it gives up a lot to get it.
Dispel is capped at level 30.
Probably right, been a while since I've even thought about this stuff. I know a bunch gets capped at 20, and Inquisitor has the highest dispel level possible.

actually, does dispel get capped at all? If so, then they were right about bards being the second best dispeller.
Inquisitor basically out-dispels everyone because of the doubling effect. So, unless he is half your level, he will be a better dispeller than you. He will definitely be the best dispeller once you are half way to level cap because literally no one else can get caster levels higher than him for dispel.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Because it's the only part of the kit that's actually important.
I recommend not installing the component or using other means to change Keldorn to a Cavalier in that case. I think the 1.5x dispel is still solid, personally.
actually, does dispel get capped at all?
It doesn't; see the EDIT.

Keldorn will eventually fight any Evil character.
He won't. He fights Edwin and Viconia. That's half of the available evil characters in the game; he has no qualms whatsoever with Korgan and Sarevok. Keldorn also won't attack an Evil Player Character solely on the basis of what their character sheet says. This was explicitly in the post you're quoting. In the Enhanced Edition, Keldorn doesn't even want to kill Dorn if you join them after doing Dorn's quests that involve killing righteous people; Keldorn only leaves the party if you accept Dorn's quests, but not afterwards.
Those who want to romance Viconia would do well to either keep Keldorn out of the party or slap a helm of opposite alignment on Viconia.
There's no Helmet of Opposite Alignment in BG2. Furthermore, Keldorn's conflict with Viconia isn't triggered by any alignment flag, it's just hardcoded into the game as a vitriolic interaction between these two characters. Changing Viconia's alignment wouldn't do anything.

Codex Year of the Donut
EDIT: Actually, Dispel doesn't seem to be capped at all. I used the baseline of Carsomyr / SotM thinking it's the max, but really, when it comes to Dispel / Remove Magic, only your caster level matters, nothing else. If you're a level 40 caster, it seems your Dispel / Remove will also be level 40. The level 20 cap on caster level only applies to spell durations and max damage from spells like Skull Trap, but Dispel Magic doesn't run off a caster level cap; it's directly looking at your levels relative to the target's caster levels.
Just made me realize a big downside to dual/multi classing casters people never discuss is how much easier it makes your buffs to dispel.
Also, bard buffs should be really hard to dispel.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
You'd think Keldorn would cast Detect Evil before pledging himself to Charname's service.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Just made me realize a big downside to dual/multi classing casters people never discuss is how much easier it makes your buffs to dispel.
Also, bard buffs should be really hard to dispel.
Bit less of an issue considering SCS mages mostly also use spells like Breach a lot, and that arcane casters already lean on Spell Immunity: Abjuration for this eventuality.

Cael

Arcane
Because it's the only part of the kit that's actually important.
I recommend not installing the component or using other means to change Keldorn to a Cavalier in that case. I think the 1.5x dispel is still solid, personally.
actually, does dispel get capped at all?
It doesn't; see the EDIT.

Keldorn will eventually fight any Evil character.
He won't. He fights Edwin and Viconia. That's half of the available evil characters in the game; he has no qualms whatsoever with Korgan and Sarevok. Keldorn also won't attack an Evil Player Character solely on the basis of what their character sheet says. This was explicitly in the post you're quoting. In the Enhanced Edition, Keldorn doesn't even want to kill Dorn if you join them after doing Dorn's quests that involve killing righteous people; Keldorn only leaves the party if you accept Dorn's quests, but not afterwards.
Those who want to romance Viconia would do well to either keep Keldorn out of the party or slap a helm of opposite alignment on Viconia.
There's no Helmet of Opposite Alignment in BG2. Furthermore, Keldorn's conflict with Viconia isn't triggered by any alignment flag, it's just hardcoded into the game as a vitriolic interaction between these two characters. Changing Viconia's alignment wouldn't do anything.
Dorn gets a free pass because he is cuckdog's homosexual cumstain. He also gets a free pass because cuckdog are crap programmers and most likely forgot to code in a check for Keldorn getting huffy when you kill innocents. In other words, it's all cuckdog being cuckdog.

As for the rest, it sounds like BG2 dropped the ball. In BG, I believe Ajantis will eventually pick a fight with just about any Evil NPC. I am not sure simply because I never recruited him as I can't stand him.

Gargaune

Magister
The easiest way to try and have your cake and eat it too would be to kill off possible offended NPCs (Mazzy is likely one) and resurrect them after the deed is done.
Yes, that sounds sensible. I'd prefer to let the scene play out, let the dice fall where they may and all that, but if I find their mere presence prevents the trade from going through, I could just savescum and do some prophylactic killing.

You'd think Keldorn would cast Detect Evil before pledging himself to Charname's service.
You would, but he didn't. :smug:

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Freshly scanned.

0-bg-cover.png

0-bg-cover.png

3-bg-4koma.png

4-bg-4koma.png

5-bg-4koma.png

6-bg-4koma-alignment.png

7-bg-4koma.png

8-bg-4koma.png

9-bg-4koma-familiar.png

10-bg-minsc4koma.png

11-bg-4koma.png

12-bg-aerie-4koma-full.png

13bg-Keldorn-4koma.png

14-bg-Viconia4koma-full.png

15-bg-cernd-4koma.png

16-bg-4koma.png

17-bg-Imoen4koma.png

18-bg-4koma.png

19-bg-4koma-trademeet.png

20-bg-4koma.png

21-bg-4koma-myconids.png

22-bg-4koma.png

23-bg-bodhi4koma.png

24-bg-4koma.png

25-bg-4koma.png

26-bg-4koma.png

27-cover.png

Bara

Arcane
This is mean to say but I can't phrase it any other way.

If you wish to downgrade your baldur's gate 2 experience the guy who ported baldurs gate 1 to never winter nights 2 is doing the same for BG2 now.

I mean I can respect his commitment and guess this lets you play with more classes/races now but controlling a party in that game just feels so clunky when compared to IE games.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nvidia cards don'y play well with the original BG do they?. There's pages of problems like this one: https://blog.yimingliu.com/2008/04/...h-and-disabling-nvidia-hardware-acceleration/ and various fixes that disable hardware acceleration and all that.

I bought a budget Geforce GT 1030 as a backup for running all my old games, and now realising it may have been a mistake. I've goy wyverns that are displayed split in half, arrows that fly facing 45 degrees to their target, birds flying backwards...

I usually turn all 3d effcts off, and then everything on, but I thihnk it's just down to Nvidia.
:negative:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You might try using DGvoodoo, if you're having graphics issues.

Many thanks sir! That worked and solved all problems. :salute:
Can't believe I didn't know that program existed. I might even consider getting rid of my old 98se PC, and my XP one as well now...

Edit: Ok, maybe not. But that's some amazing software. Using V7 for anyone else interested. Previous version didn't seem to launch. Maybe the settings were off. But V7 just worked.

In retrospect, the music to Throne of Bhaal is much better than I remember. It thought it a little too bombastic when I first played it nearly two decades ago, but listening to some of the OST recently has changed my mind. The sweeping grandeur is appropriate for the events and setting of ToB while simply being quite good on its own operatic merits.

Interesting thing about Throne of Bhaal is how Bioware was trying to improve its quest design. There are at least 2 quests which can be solved by using a spell in a non combat way. Getting into monastery can be archived by like 3 ways. There is a liche quest with multiple solutions. It's super sad that ToB didn't get to be a full game.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
What are those 2 quests that can be solved without combat?
Three ways to enter the monastery, you make it sound like its non-linear when its extremely linear.
ToB is reallly meh. I mean, I am happy it exists, but even the writing is pretty cringe (even the romances).

t. just fresh from a bg1+tosc+bg2+tob run.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom