Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Quillon

Arcane
If Witcher 3 was twice as long I'd still have finished it at least twice. Optimal length is subjective, mostly depends on how much free time you have. Combat is shit/repetitive etc but just walking/trotting around in W3 is fun/relaxing/whatever...

Duralux for Durabux

CDPR 2007: Witcher 1: full game , no DLC, no microtransaction, caters to PC market, No political agenda.

CDPR 2011: Witcher 2, full game, No payable DLC, no microtransaction, Caters to PC Market first then console. No political agenda.

CDPR 2015: Witcher 3 : Base game is a chunk of the complete game, 2 payable expansions, no microtransaction, caters to consoles and PC afterward.

CDPR 2020: Cyberpunk 2077: base version is a little part of the complete game, probably will release many payable DLCs which mean the game is never complete unless you buy the new DLC. SJW agenda.
60$ base game + probably 40$ worth of expansions + Microtransactions in online version.
Also release a mobile game to pressure the franchise as much money as possible

CDPR 2025: Witcher 4: Probably will be Filled with payable DLCs, expansions and Microtransactions both online and offline.

When will it stop?

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime Junta

If Witcher 3 was twice as long I'd still have finished it at least twice. Optimal length is subjective, mostly depends on how much free time you have.

Time is not the issue, I would certainly have found the time to finish Twitcher 3 several times. The problem is that I got bored.

It would have needed either more engaging gameplay that kept developing into new directions to keep you entertained, or story content that kept engaging and interesting you, or a world that kept turning up new and exciting and surprising people, stories, and things, or ideally all three. But it runs dry on all three counts: with the gameplay quite early, and with the other two a bit later. And of course it has a shitton of pure and simple bloat: treasure hunts, the rancid leveled crafting system with the continuous grind for ingredients, monster nests, locations to clear, Gwent, boxing, and so on and so forth. It just doesn't hold up, unless you really enjoy doing the same things over and over again, and ticking things off a list.

Duralux for Durabux

Time is not the issue, I would certainly have found the time to finish Twitcher 3 several times. The problem is that I got bored.

It would have needed either more engaging gameplay that kept developing into new directions to keep you entertained, or story content that kept engaging and interesting you, or a world that kept turning up new and exciting and surprising people, stories, and things, or ideally all three. But it runs dry on all three counts: with the gameplay quite early, and with the other two a bit later. And of course it has a shitton of pure and simple bloat: treasure hunts, the rancid leveled crafting system with the continuous grind for ingredients, monster nests, locations to clear, Gwent, boxing, and so on and so forth. It just doesn't hold up, unless you really enjoy doing the same things over and over again, and ticking things off a list.
Witcher 3 is literally an interactive movie with an ubisoft open World(with list of things to do) combined with a very bad gameplay.

thesecret1

Arcane
Most of Witcher 3's shortcomings in the content department were addressed in the DLCs – map locations that have some lore and perhaps a side quest tied to them, rather than being randomly strewn about loot locations, sprucing up the gwent shit with new faction and a fun quest, rather than a gorillion "go play dude X, Y, Z, then win against me, and I will send you to another town to play more such guys". Had all of Witcher 3 been like that, I wouldn't have had issues with the content. Of course, there is no way to know if they're actually taking this improved design to heart, or if it was just something they tried with the DLCs and won't return to afterwards, and there's still the massive problem of the combat being garbage.

Duralux for Durabux

and there's still the massive problem of the combat being garbage.
And the fact that playing Witcher 3 consist in watching cutscenes for like 60% of the time than actually playing the game(which is shit, because the gameplay is shit).

Mark Richard

Arcane
It's claimed senior quest designer Patrick Mills said Cyberpunk's 2077 campaign will be (slightly) shorter, but the specific wording he used was 'main story', not campaign. IGN makes no clear distinction between the two. For all we know, the quantity of sidequests could make up the difference in length and then some.

Quillon

Arcane
It would have needed either more engaging gameplay that kept developing into new directions to keep you entertained, or story content that kept engaging and interesting you, or a world that kept turning up new and exciting and surprising people, stories, and things, or ideally all three. But it runs dry on all three counts: with the gameplay quite early, and with the other two a bit later

With the other 2 much later imo, you keep meeting new and interesting characters and engaging interesting quests throughout the game & DLCs, I agree with the devs assesment that after Kaer Morhen battle it felt a bit like epilogue-ish tho. About the bloat stuff; I just mostly ignore it, focusing on crafting witcher gear. I find gwent fun but boxing and ?s on the map is shit yeah, game doesn't reallly need all that bloat to boast on its size.

Kitchen Utensil

Witcher gameplay is shit and in dire need of improvement regardless of the story's length, imbecile.

It is, but it would have been bloated and too long for its own good even with improved gameplay.

The point is:

Fixing the gameplay would actually improve the game, but take work.
Cutting the story length does not improve the game, and saves work.

You're advocating for (or at least defending) the latter. And I call you retarded for that.

Prime Junta

Fixing the gameplay would actually improve the game, but take work.

And since there's a limited amount of resources available to do said work, your solution is...?

Cutting the story length does not improve the game, and saves work.

I'm advocating not implementing bloat, in the story and elsewhere, which does improve the game, and saves work.

You're advocating for (or at least defending) the latter. And I call you retarded for that.

And your argument falls apart in a world with finite time, production resources, and creativity. No matter how good your writers are, they are going to eventually start churning out boring, repetitive shit. This happened with TW3, and they had some really good writers by cRPG standards anyway. Same for level/world designers, locations, etc. The game is just too damn big for the quality content it contains.

I'll take this argument one notch further: people like you who value size, length, and scope, or imagine that it's possible to make games of vast size, length, and scope and high quality, are the one of the main reasons for :decline:. Nerds raging because a game is "only" 30 hours are why teams pad it out to 50, 100, 150, which means that depth goes out of the window and we get levelled loot, levelled enemies, level scaling, numbers bloat, and other shit that scales up easily.

You, fork, are the reason for :decline: and it is a sad reflection of where the Codex has come that you probably reflect the 2020 konsensus better than I do.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
Ray tracing is going to revolutionize the industry eventually just like hardware T&L did back in the early 2000s.

Uuhh... That was too much... No, it won't revolutionize the industry. Ray tracing exists for decades FYI. Nvidia integrated this into the card to push things to the "next" step on GPU technology (which is not the case, at all). Sure it's nice to have it but technology is not doing far jumps like 3-4 decades ago. Also there's no reason to pay 1000-1500 to have RTX, it's not widely used.

thesecret1

Arcane
And since there's a limited amount of resources available to do said work
Oh please, Cyberpunk was in the works forever, so time was never in a limited amount, and CDPR is in the big money after Witcher 3. "Limited resources" is not an argument for this game, because they weren't limited. If any part of it ends up being shit, it's because shit was the best they could do.

Prime Junta

Uuhh... That was too much... No, it won't revolutionize the industry. Ray tracing exists for decades FYI. Nvidia integrated this into the card to push things to the "next" step on GPU technology (which is not the case, at all). Sure it's nice to have it but technology is not doing far jumps like 3-4 decades ago. Also there's no reason to pay 1000-1500 to have RTX, it's not widely used.

It will too revolutionise the industry. It's the first qualitative technological leap of that level since hardware accelerated graphics. It's the end boss of graphics rendering. Once you have real-time ray tracing, the only way forward is to add resolution and frame rate.

Whether it's worth it now is subjective of course. It's already mainstream, and with the next-gen consoles we'll certainly see a lot more of it. With the way the 3070/3080 are priced, it's now in the upper mid-range, in reach of people who bought 1080s a year or two ago -- you don't need to be a stupid-rich hardware nerd to get one.

Speaking only for myself: it wasn't worth it when the only realistic way to get it was a stupidly expensive 2080Ti and there were only a handful of games that used it to any effect. But it is worth it for me now. It'll be worth it for most gamers who even give a shit about graphics in another year or two, tops. And of course it'll never be worth it for the most monocled of Codexians who refuse to play anything more recent than Fallout.

Gerrard

Arcane
Ray tracing is a much bigger deal than just "one effect". It effects shadows
Yeah, if they dedcide to use it for shadows. Which, if you look at the screencap from the RTX trailer I posted a couple pages back, they clearly didn't.

Prime Junta

Oh please, Cyberpunk was in the works forever, so time was never in a limited amount, and CDPR is in the big money after Witcher 3. "Limited resources" is not an argument for this game, because they weren't limited. If any part of it ends up being shit, it's because shit was the best they could do.

We'll see. If they spent their money the same way as in Twitcher3 -- 80% on quality, 20% to bloat it to three times the size it ought to have been -- then it will be shit. The amount of money they used doesn't matter, only the way they used it. But the fact that they say that it's smaller in scope is extremely encouraging to me. I've no doubt that it will be a very big game regardless.

Edit: also, it's not just about money, but also about creative potential. You can only have so many writers working on it, or it falls apart, and any given writer working on the same project will run out of good ideas at some point. Work them past that and it turns to shit, no matter how much extra money you throw at it.

Harthwain

Magister
They are kind of on the clock, because they want to push the game out at some point (the longer it is in development, the more resources it keeps eating) and they want to do it before the hype dies down.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
because they want to push the game out at some point [...] and they want to do it before the hype dies down.

You mean:

"because they want to push the game near the next-gen console releases and the 3080 (thus the deals) [...] and the hype is slowly going down already"

Having said that, I still hope the game will be a good CRPG experience.

This game is trying too hard to cater to americans with current american racial/social issues rather than trying to do anything meaningful with the setting. Most of these gangs have nothing to do with the Cyberpunk setting and they're there to look "cool" to americans.

Should be called "Multiculturalism 2077" instead.

Maelstrom = skinheads
Valentinos = Chicanos
6th street = trump supporters
Voodoo Boys = blacks
Moxes = feminists
Tyger Claws = Chinese

These gangs are so 2020, is this game supposed to be futuristic ?

the funny part is, even if they're clearly divided by race, you probably not going to see any mention of race or any racial slur. So they're going with current american racial issues theme only in a very superficially/politically correct way. Again, to cater to muricans.

Prime Junta

Maelstrom = skinheads
Valentinos = Chicanos
6th street = trump supporters
Voodoo Boys = blacks
Moxes = feminists
Tyger Claws = asians

These gangs are so 2020, is this game supposed to be futuristic ?

the funny part is, even if they're clearly divided by race, you probably not going to see any mention of race or any racial slur. So they're going with current american racial issues theme only in a very superficially/politically correct way. Again, to cater to muricans.

All of those except the Moxies were already in Cyberpunk 2020.

Also, if you haven't grokked that cyberpunk -- the genre and the game -- always was multicultural, filled to the brim with queers, stronk women street warriors, crystal meth fueled gay orgies, and a massive anticapitalist, environmentalist subtext, you're either dumb as a barrel of rocks or completely unfamiliar with it.

All of those except the Moxies were already in Cyberpunk 2020.

Also, if you haven't grokked that cyberpunk -- the genre and the game -- always was multicultural, filled to the brim with queers, stronk women street warriors, crystal meth fueled gay orgies, and a massive anticapitalist, environmentalist subtext, you're either dumb as a barrel of rocks or completely unfamiliar with it.

Not really familiar with Cyberpunk 2020, but i know what Cyberpunk is about. There's better themes to explore in this setting rather than being murica in 2077. And like i said, this game is going to portray multiculturalism in a politically correct way so i'm not really interested, hard pass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom