Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ah ok. That makes sense. This Clownfish TV dude on youtube has been going nuts about it. He made me wonder.

IceyD

Scholar
I learned my lesson with the Project Phoenix kickstarter. Rooting for Eiyuden to succeed but yeah, from afar.

JRPG releases for August:

- Brave Pinball (PC)
- Phantasy Star Online 2 (PC)
- Death end re;Quest 2 (PC)
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered (Switch, PS4, Mobile)
- The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki (PS4, JP only)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interesting looking freeware RPG. Japanese only though:

ss_c01ecc1d75a5a79f6b57daeff7e39e20abd0393a.600x338.jpg
ss_10a4fdb9afe7dba92fe07afc3728ca8fa3f57220.600x338.jpg

Depending on the player's actions, the game changes shape in various ways.
This is a 90's style JRPG with a combination of scenario and freedom.

◆Overwhelming volume
Over 50 hours of play time!
There are over 50 characters!
The shape of the game changes in various ways depending on the player's actions.
Scenario routes, as well as dungeon attack routes and
Random events, even the people in the city that appear in the game change in countless ways.

◆Battles that combine action and strategy
A new kind of battle with a combination of keys and buttons!
As with traditional JRPGs, besides fighting with strategy
Just like in a fighting game, you can use your player skills to get through battles.
Try to find a play style that suits you and challenge the battle.
The game is also equipped with auto-control, so even those who are not good at action can enjoy the game.

◆Other challenging elements
-Customize your equipment for the best in the world!
-The structure and rules change every time you enter a free dungeon.
-Brains and luck are the keys to clear! The "Paradox Code" mini-game
-Trial quests with a specific party composition

◆Story◆
Hardin, a member of the D.H. School's soldier training department, was
During a school trip, he is involved in a plane crash.
Tragically and bewilderingly, Hardin is forced to search for the mysterious island where he washed up.

About the update
To fix bugs, you can always update from the title screen to keep yourself up-to-date.
We will continue to make updates and functional improvements to the game in the future.

◆Carefulness◆
The game includes depictions of horror, violence, drugs and crime.

Jinn

Arcane
Looks like a Monkey King easier Sekiro. I like what I'm seeing a lot.

Btw, pretty sure this is a Chinese game. There's a thread for non-Japanese Asian news posts, just for your information.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Apart from looking like shit, showing massive framerate drops in a trailer is always a good sign.

IceyD

Scholar
Your September 2020 JRPG releases:

- Moero Crystal H (Switch)
- 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (PS4)
- Genshin Impact (PC, iOS, Android)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More Japanese only indie/doujin games on Steam. Both are roguelike but in different aesthetics.

ss_c8bff777426f7b105f127087555d642420c11e1e.600x338.jpg
ss_3298439bde8f29cd817d173a71b3fd900f599c82.600x338.jpg

ss_869800d672ef8bd996b2622039ccaf319ef34932.600x338.jpg
ss_062888408f26637f12dafcb2d8e353d9486b15b5.600x338.jpg

A bonus, shmup:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
ENDER LILIES: Quietus of the Knights, meteroidvania by ex-Capcom producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi (Resident Evil, Dragon's Dogma, killer7):

ss_ab2c2137fe850be3e244378c939917d8873d0bc3.600x338.jpg
ss_1fde80a9d1fb22e2d8dfc09e2ebbf208fd28a0e3.600x338.jpg

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
First person turn based blobber released while ago. Think Im going to skip this one not too many reviews

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/cie...anuary-28-2021-for-ps4-switch-and-pc-in-japan

Ciel nosurge DX and Ar nosurge DX launch January 28, 2021 for PS4, Switch, and PC in Japan

June-announced remasters get a release date.

Ciel nosurge: Requiem for a Lost Star DX and Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star DX, the June-announced remasters of the Gust-developed adventure and RPG titles, will launch for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam on January 28, 2021 in Japan, publisher Koei Tecmo announced in the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu.

Ciel-nosurge-DX-Ar-nosurge-DX_10-06-20_002.jpg

Ciel nosurge was first released for PS Vita in April 2012 in Japan. Ciel nosurge Re:Incarnation, a re-release including all of the original game’s patches and downloadable content up until that point, was released in February 2013; and Ciel nosurge Offline, an offline-only version of the game, followed in October 2014.
Ar nosurge was first released for PlayStation 3 in March 2014 in Japan, followed by PS Vita as Ar nosurge Plus in October 2014. The PlayStation 3 version was released worldwide in September 2014, followed by the PS Vita version in July 2015.
Thanks, Famitsu.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Star Maidens Chronicle, Japanese indie RTS originally released in late 2000s.

ss_1c624d6365693dc9087ca190ad5fb7a147ca01d2.600x338.jpg
ss_1550be9733fc04765fe136a0cc79c59d951878dd.600x338.jpg

Overview
"Star Maidens Chronicle" requires you to handle ever-changing battlefield situations.

otome_battle04.jpg

Your goal is to become the commander of a powerful Faction and destroy enemy strongholds.
To fulfill your ambition, you must establish a city, raise an army and become strong enough to overwhelm your opponents.
At the same time, your foes will be doing their utmost to thwart you.
You must avoid their attacks, destroy their fortresses, turn the tide of war in your favor, and ultimately annihilate the enemy.

Now, your strategic abilities will be put to the test!

Variety of game modes
In addition to the mode in which you try to destroy enemy strongholds, you can enjoy various other types of battles such as a defensive war using defense towers or a more intense timed war.

otome_cutin01s.jpg

Maps of varying size are available
Maps of varying size are available, from a small one for quick and easy play to a large one for slow and deliberate play.

otome_battle03.jpg

Fascinating characters
Meet the fascinating characters created by many popular illustrators!

otome_adv01.jpg

Tutorials
There are tutorials, so even beginner RTS players can play comfortably!

Full of challenging elements
In addition to various battle modes, you can play as many times as you want -- the game offers a lot of challenging elements!And maybe there's a super difficult secret tale???

otome_map02.jpg

Real-time battles with up to 6 players
You can play various formats: Division of roles is important for 3 vs. 3. You can use a handicap period in a 4 vs. 2 battle. You can have a team survival game with 3 teams of 2 players.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Lotta crotch shots eh? Search for the elusive Camel Toe.

I was looking at steam and bing to see more info on Star Maidens and i found these:

https://www.dualshockers.com/conception-plus-first-screenshots-details/

Spike Chunsoft revealed the first screenshots for Conception Plus: Please Give Birth to My Child !. The game is a PS4 remake of Conception, a dungeon crawler originally released only in Japan for PSP. The remake was announced a few days ago, with the first trailer having been revealed at Tokyo Game Show

https://www.dualshockers.com/ps4-conception-plus-characters-introduction-trailer/

New details about the game were revealed too. As you progress in dungeons, you’ll need stronger and stronger Star Children. To do so, you’ll need to spend time with the Star Maidens and further your bond with them. That way, the next Star Children will be born with higher base stats and a higher level limit.

You’ll often be prompted for answers when speaking with the Star Maidens, and some answers will further your bond quicker. At some points, you’ll also be able to do “Touch Communication”.
Uh what? Conception rpg? Star children?

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
I'd probably be getting Sakuna right when it comes out if it didn't come out the same day as Yakuza 7. Looks like an interesting concept and a lot of fun. It'll have to wait though. Bad timing.

Vorark

Erudite
Digimon Survive was delayed to 2021:

The Digimon Survive team would like to extend our thanks to fans from around the world for their support during development, especially in these difficult times. We had originally planned to launch Digimon Survive in 2020, but current world events have shifted our development timing and we have made the difficult decision to push Digimon Survive‘s launch to 2021.

We thank you all for your continued patience as we work to create a fun and engaging tactical RPG game along with a memorable story for Digimon fans! We will share some exciting updates for Digimon Survive in spring 2021, so please stay tuned for more information.

Kazumasa Habu, Producer of Digimon Survive

However, according to the Japanese twitter, the delay is due an engine change that happened during summer/2019, coupled with 2020 shenanigans.

IceyD

Scholar
Your JRPG releases for November 2020:

- Bakugan: Champions of Vestroia (Switch)
- Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Switch, PS4, PC)
- Demon's Souls (PS5)
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS4, PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
After its rather long foray into Switch portings, Ghostlight returns to PC porting with a new JRPG title: http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/check-out-the-ghostlight-steam-publisher-page

Hi everyone,

Here at Ghostlight we’ve been hard at work preparing for our big return to the Steam Store with a brand new release!

In addition to testing a first playable of the new JRPG (which for now will have to remain mysterious!) I’ve also found the time to set up the Ghostlight Steam Publisher Page. I’m still hoping to add more lists and other features to the page, so please let me know what you'd like to see added in the comments section, or through one of our social media channels listed at the bottom of this post.

You might also want to hit the follow button on our publisher page to make sure you stay up to date with all our Steam releases.

While I’ve really enjoyed working on Switch ports for other publishers, I must admit it is fun to be releasing our own game again, and I can’t wait to share more news on our upcoming Steam project soon.

That’s all from me. I’ll be back soon, but in the meantime, why not say hi to me on either the Ghostlight Twitter, my personal Twitter, our Facebook page, our Instagram page, or checkout our YouTube Channel? Not only do I promise not to bite, but I’ll also share the latest news from Ghostlight with you.

On Twitter they say release will be next year.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am having hard time thinking on what their game is. Seeing their past release they are mostly Idea Factory games but there has not been one that's not on PC for a long while now. And they have Idea Facotry International which are porting their own game.

SEGA games are unlikely as they seem content and more than able to do port of their own so that cross Sakura Taisen out. NISA is doing the port for NIS games.

Is there any mid-sized Japanase Dev that has yet to consistently port their game to PC? I guess there is Falcom. But their games that has been localized will also be ported by NISA so that kinda cross that out again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom