Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout What's the reason for the courier to care about the main story of New Vegas?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
i would care if not for unbearable gamebryo gameplay

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
What's the motivation for Gorion's ward to solve the iron crisis? As far as I can tell, he should have no more investment in that than the Courier has in deciding who controls the Mojave. Yet you've repeatedly brought up BG as a positive example.
? It is a positive example. It's the only real lead you have for investigating why people are being sent to assassinate you. Assassination attempts aren't something you can just ignore.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Would you prefer something like POE1 , where you get killed on a slide if you chose the " i don't care, and i don't want to care" option ?

vota DC

Augur
What had Shady Sands so special? They give you nice quests but the place wasn't that cool. You even have science dialogue to teach to a farmer how rotation crops work...I was suprised at the ending that this place rather than Hub become NCR.
Shady Sands had Tandi, Queen of the Wasteland and the first president of the New California Republic.

4f81a3.jpg
That Is the reason why I was suprised at the ending slider. She Is memorable in the franchise but it is unexpected during your first game since you just remember her for being a temporary npc immune to laser doors.
Shady Sands doesn't flourish if she dies but after you free her She has dialogue "uug ehrr uuhr....STUFF", just a teenager so I don't expect much from her to be on par with Aradesh anyway but there are zero clues that she will absorb settlements with better military, farming, technology and even better commerce.

No idea.... maybe It was done by purpose because shady Sands was the underdog, Brotherhood dominating or Hub become ncr would be too obvious.
Also the great vault dweller able to defeat the Master blablabla just built the tribal village of arroyo while weaker npc from vault 15 that needed vault dweller even for fighting a small gang founded the greatest country.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Come on sawyer cocksuckers, defend it. Just try. Actually use words instead of pressing buttons because your tiny brains can't form sentences.
I guess expecting ESLs to use words instead of funny pictures is too much though.
pDKblsv.png

Hate it had to be you, Brian Fargo dicksucker.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
My favorite blank-slate characters are all responsible for nuclear holocaust.
But a reason to care about the story? Why, that's ludicrous.

Come on sawyer cocksuckers, defend it. Just try. Actually use words instead of pressing buttons because your tiny brains can't form sentences.
I guess expecting ESLs to use words instead of funny pictures is too much though.

Lonesome Road was MCA. Quit being a fucking retard.

Silverfish

Arbiter
What's the motivation for a courier to care who owns a patch of desert and a dam?
A particularly vengeful character would want to pursue Benny, but it sort of falls apart after that.

I've only seen NV all the way to the credits once (and even that was a slog) for this very reason. After dispatching Benny, which is itself worth playing multiple times for, since there're so many ways for him to meet his demise, things start to meander. My approach has always been to follow the critical path up to Benny's death / delivery of the platinum chip and then ignoring the plot in favor of enjoying the sandbox.

Name 1 ONE good thing about New Vegas? I double dare you.

Elvis is a gang leader.

"Hello random person we have never met, would you like to shape our entire pseudo-country for us? No, we will not ask about your background or aspirations, we just need someone to lead us to victory."

You're pretty much spot on, but to be fair, this is only because Easy Pete suppresses his power level.

Risewild

Arbiter
Revenge is a good one, if someone with that haircut shoots at you and you survive the most logical thing to do is to get revenge.
I've seen this mentioned a few times, but the game doesn't end when you meet Benny and there's little reason to continue on after that from a revenge POV.
Because life doesn't end once you exact revenge. Unless you take your own life, which you can do in the game too.

Or you as the player can decide that was enough and the game ends now, so just stop playing that character, or even the game. You don't need ending slides for that, if you want your character's motivation to be to kill Benny, there's not much point to have ending slides besides "And the Courier killed Benny, the end!"

Risewild

Arbiter
reaching such levels of retardation and playing dumb(as pointed out) to defend your shit argument, I thought you were better than this lmao

you have 20k posts in this forum and you don't know the difference between RPG with blank slate MC and systemic make your own story games, k
how come my blank slate character nuked a bunch of people
obsidian defense force, assemble!
But the character only nukes anything if the player wants them to nuke anything. You have dialogue choices where you deny and even tell Ulysses he is mistaken and it wasn't your character.
That is an advantage of a blank slate character with dialogues to support this. If you decide it wasn't your Courier who lead to the Divide being nuked, then the DLC allows you to counter Ulysses in dialogue. The game supports this.

So your "how come my blank slate character nuked a bunch of people" is only true if you as the player wants it to be true. If you don't even know this, then you didn't really paid attention to the game you're criticizing.

Codex Year of the Donut
reaching such levels of retardation and playing dumb(as pointed out) to defend your shit argument, I thought you were better than this lmao

you have 20k posts in this forum and you don't know the difference between RPG with blank slate MC and systemic make your own story games, k
how come my blank slate character nuked a bunch of people
obsidian defense force, assemble!
But the character only nukes anything if the player wants them to nuke anything. You have dialogue choices where you deny and even tell Ulysses he is mistaken and it wasn't your character.
That is an advantage of a blank slate character with dialogues to support this. If you decide it wasn't your Courier who lead to the Divide being nuked, then the DLC allows you to counter Ulysses in dialogue. The game supports this.

So your "how come my blank slate character nuked a bunch of people" is only true if you as the player wants it to be true. If you don't even know this, then you didn't really paid attention to the game you're criticizing.
No, the courier is responsible for nuking the divide. You can try to deny responsibility claiming you didn't know, but you cannot deny delivering the package.
You carried that thing to the Divide. I know because I followed you as you walked the road, watched you do it.
It was from the West. From deep in NCR. Whether made by them or not... it came here. Through your hands.

Codex Year of the Donut
character nuked a bunch of people != courier delivered a package without knowing what's inside
All these roads, you walked. These packages you carried. Think it wasn't your choice?
Of course it was your choice. You could have stayed in the Mojave. But you chose to come, couldn't let be - not in you to let go.
You brought it here, to the community you built. And you are responsible for what happened after - when the device opened, started to speak.

Wunderbar

Arcane
This whole conversation with rusty is basically a plot of Lonesome road - some guy goes full retard because he thinks it was all courier's fault.

Last edited:

Risewild

Arbiter
No, the courier is responsible for nuking the divide. You can try to deny responsibility claiming you didn't know, but you cannot deny delivering the package.
Yes you can:
Courier: This package... I don't recall it.
(...)
Courier: You can't be sure it was me.
And there's also other options that would make no sense if the Courier really did deliver the package:
Courier: This package... you said it had markings? What was it?
(...)
Courier: Why would I have brought it here?
The game has these options so a player can decide if it was their Courier or a different Courier who delivered that package that nuked the place.
It gives the chance of making Ulysses just a mad man ranting about his delusions, and you just got caught in it when he confused you for someone else, probably because he wanted revenge so much. After all, Ulysses believed the Courier that had delivered the packaged had long died, until he refused to accept to deliver the chip for the Mojave Express.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yes you can:
Courier: This package... I don't recall it.
(...)
Courier: You can't be sure it was me.
And there's also other options that would make no sense if the Courier really did deliver the package:
Courier: This package... you said it had markings? What was it?
(...)
Courier: Why would I have brought it here?
The game has these options so a player can decide if it was their Courier or a different Courier who delivered that package that nuked the place.
It gives the chance of making Ulysses just a mad man ranting about his delusions, and you just got caught in it when he confused you for someone else, probably because he wanted revenge so much. After all, Ulysses believed the Courier that had delivered the packaged had long died, until he refused to accept to deliver the chip for the Mojave Express.
Easy explanation:
Avellone thought the courier had amnesia but Soyer didn't inform him he's just a hack writer/designer yet

typical user

Arbiter
To answer the question in the title:
-it's up to players decision.

You want revenge. Or money. Or both. Or neither. There was originally a choice to hand-wave all of this and leave New Vegas region all-together but it was scrapped probably because main audience wouldn't understand it. It was after a year or two the game got it's definitive opinion as a spiritual sequel to classics. Anyway part of RPGs charm is that you are to decide who your character is or wants to be. Someone will shout "but that's LARPing"! Maybe but in your first playthrough you are curious what the chip cointains, what it is for, how much is it worth or at the very least you want to kill Benny for robbing you, shooting you in the head and burying in the desert.

Alex

Arcane
I think that if somebody shot me in the head and I somehow survived, I would look into a different line of work rather than vengeance. Given the situation of the region around Las Vegas, the new work should be somewhere far, far away.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
I think that if somebody shot me in the head and I somehow survived, I would look into a different line of work rather than vengeance. Given the situation of the region around Las Vegas, the new work should be somewhere far, far away.
Fair enough. Me personally, I'd at least go tie up that loose end. Don't need him deciding to track me down and take another shot.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Avellone thought the courier had amnesia

There is never any indication that your character has amnesia.

CONTRACT PENALTIES

You are an authorized agent of the Mojave Express Package until delivery is complete and payment has been processed, contractually obligated to complete this transaction and materially responsible for any malfeasance or loss. Failure to deliver the proper recipient may result in forfeiture of your advance and bonus, criminal charges, and/or pursuit by mercenary reclamation teams. The Mojave Express is not responsible for any injury or loss of life you experience as a result of said reclamation efforts.

Good luck with all that.

attackfighter

Magister
It's been a while since I played it, but the main character could be motivated by curiosity or vengeance at the start and then later by their ideals in relation to the broader political struggle going on after finding Benny. Often, heroes in action stories are primarily motivated by their overriding desire to protect people (victims) from villainy, so it wouldn't necessarily be out of place for New Vegas to have an unrealistic motivation for its lead. In reality, people seek safety and comfort; in action stories, they go flying into action at the drop of a hat. It's your call what your hero or anti-hero's motivation is after becoming embroiled in the factional dispute. It could be a selfless desire to protect people from the depredations of Caesar's Legion, a selfish desire to enrich themselves or displace Caesar, or something else.

Alex

Arcane

CONTRACT PENALTIES

You are an authorized agent of the Mojave Express Package until delivery is complete and payment has been processed, contractually obligated to complete this transaction and materially responsible for any malfeasance or loss. Failure to deliver the proper recipient may result in forfeiture of your advance and bonus, criminal charges, and/or pursuit by mercenary reclamation teams. The Mojave Express is not responsible for any injury or loss of life you experience as a result of said reclamation efforts.

Good luck with all that.

Still looks like a better prospect than going through all the gun happy hordes between you and Benny.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

CONTRACT PENALTIES

Good luck with all that.

Still looks like a better prospect than going through all the gun happy hordes between you and Benny.

Benny let you walk to him with none of his goons pulling the iron on you... if only because at this point you could be Brotherhood Paladin, Someone well connected to NCR, covered by Sniper, at head of angry securitron army or even all of those. He chosen wisely to flee than resist unless...

You played as wombyn with black widow perk. :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Alex

Arcane

CONTRACT PENALTIES

Good luck with all that.

Benny let you walk to him with none of his goons pulling the iron on you... if only because at this point you could be Brotherhood Paladin, Someone well connected to NCR, covered by Sniper, at head of angry securitron army or even all of those. He chosen wisely to flee than resist unless...

You played as wombyn with black widow perk. :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

The problem is not Benny himself. The problem is the wasteland filled with raiders, legion soldiers, mutated creatures and whatnot. I mean, gamewise, you can take on that stuff. But thinking from the character's perspective; the obvious thing to do would be going to the NCR, waiting for the way to clear up if necessary. Doing anything else is really suicidal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom