Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kitchen Utensil

Fixing the gameplay would actually improve the game, but take work.

And since there's a limited amount of resources available to do said work, your solution is...?

Cutting the story length does not improve the game, and saves work.

I'm advocating not implementing bloat, in the story and elsewhere, which does improve the game, and saves work.

You're advocating for (or at least defending) the latter. And I call you retarded for that.

And your argument falls apart in a world with finite time, production resources, and creativity. No matter how good your writers are, they are going to eventually start churning out boring, repetitive shit. This happened with TW3, and they had some really good writers by cRPG standards anyway. Same for level/world designers, locations, etc. The game is just too damn big for the quality content it contains.

I'll take this argument one notch further: people like you who value size, length, and scope, or imagine that it's possible to make games of vast size, length, and scope and high quality, are the one of the main reasons for :decline:. Nerds raging because a game is "only" 30 hours are why teams pad it out to 50, 100, 150, which means that depth goes out of the window and we get levelled loot, levelled enemies, level scaling, numbers bloat, and other shit that scales up easily.

You, fork, are the reason for :decline: and it is a sad reflection of where the Codex has come that you probably reflect the 2020 konsensus better than I do.
If they'd improve the gameplay and systems, you'd have a point.
But they won't. They're cutting story length and gameplay systems.
It's called maximising profit.

And to say a few words about that OT wank you managed to sneak in: The Codex is declining just fine without my input. Every shit game gets praise here, terrible indy crap, Paradox AA rip-offs or dumbed down AAA-shit. The shills are the reason for the decline, not me. Not much longer and this place will be indistinguishable from reddit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duralux for Durabux

It’s clear that gameplay will be more varied and richer.
tenor.gif

Prime Junta

You’re trying too hard to be edgy, son.

CP2077 will feature shooting, brawling, stealth, and sabotage. Twitcher 3 only had swordplay supported by signs and alchemy. The former is obviously richer than the latter.

Duralux for Durabux

CP2077 will feature shooting, brawling, stealth, and sabotage. Twitcher 3 only had swordplay supported by signs and alchemy. The former is obviously richer than the latter.
Varied: Ok even though it will not be Deus Ex But
Richer: No it's CDPR we are talking about.

Generic-Giant-Spider

And since there's a limited amount of resources available to do said work, your solution is...?

Remove the frivolous garbage like Twitch NPCs (I'm guessing they also needed to waste money to fly them out and probably cover lodging expenses) along with things nobody really asked for like streamer integration and whatever pile of shit the online will be and put that into gameplay/whatever RPG elements exist in this alleged RPG.

This game has been in development for what seems like forever and we've seen very little gameplay. All we're getting is a bunch of hype trailers that don't tell you anything meaningful about the systems at play, you know, the important shit that makes you want to play vs. the window dressing that tries to convince you to play.

Harthwain

Magister

Technically there were also fistfights in TW3.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
We all know how it's gonna happen. It's just some are reluctant to face the truth. The game will be an interactive movie with a shitload of cutscenes, bad and sparse gameplay, castrated dialogue system and cosmetic C&C. People will complain about it and then it will win Codex GOTY 2020.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think what we're seeing ITT from some folks shows how important "narrative buy-in" can be. CP2077 is clearly a more full RPG than the Witcher games, but people are just intensely suspicious of it because it's a new thing. They don't know who V is, they're not invested in his story or his world. They don't know if they like its style and its vibe.

I think Witcher 3 in particular benefited a lot from Witcher 2 being its de-facto "stylistic prototype". In the early 2010s it was obvious to everyone that it was going to be "like this, but open world". CP2077 doesn't have that going for it.

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Ray tracing is going to revolutionize the industry eventually just like hardware T&L did back in the early 2000s.

Uuhh... That was too much... No, it won't revolutionize the industry. Ray tracing exists for decades FYI. Nvidia integrated this into the card to push things to the "next" step on GPU technology (which is not the case, at all). Sure it's nice to have it but technology is not doing far jumps like 3-4 decades ago. Also there's no reason to pay 1000-1500 to have RTX, it's not widely used.
No shit it's existed for decades, but now it's actually usable. It's also far cheaper for devs to use than spending a ton of time baking in lighting. This is going to be the main thing that pushes devs to stop making it an optional feature and go balls to the wall. We were just waiting for the hardware and with the next gen consoles and big navi both being able to do it we've hit the first major step towards getting it going - a big install base. The generation of consoles after that is probably where it will become mandatory

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Here's to hoping Zen 3 is amazing.
I'm sceptical. Looks more like Zen2+ upgrade that does not yeld actual "3" in its name.
It's literally an entirely new architecture with the typical performance boost that comes with that. It's going to be up to 20% faster than Zen 2, have an improved memory controller, and move from 4 core to 8 core ccx which means you can have up to 8 cores without the infinity fabric lagging things up. Zen 3 is probably going to be the first Zen based cpu that beats intel in gaming

Prime Junta

I think what we're seeing ITT from some folks shows how important "narrative buy-in" can be. CP2077 is clearly a more full RPG than the Witcher games, but people are just intensely suspicious of it because it's a new thing. They don't know who V is, they're not invested in his story or his world. They don't know if they like its style and its vibe.

Zoomers, man. They just don't grok Cyberpunk, perhaps because the world we live in is uncannily similar to the world in it.

What they see as "SJW agenda" or "multicult" or whatever are just core tropes in it. Cyberpunk was a reaction against the escapist square-jawed-space-marines-and-spaceships-and-galactic-empires-oh-my type sci fi that the genre was largely identified with before then. It was about technology on and under the skin, how that molds society and people, the logical outcomes of runaway capitalism, consumerism, and ecological destruction, mass migration, displacement, anomie. I was in early teens Neuromancer was published. I was already a giant sci-fi nerd, knew my Asimovs and Heinleins and Clarkes and Lems and Zeleznys, and man was it a revelation, the whole genre blown up and put together in a new and radical configuration. You had to be there, man.

(The pre-emptive whining about gameplay is just that, pre-emptive. Maybe it'll be shit, maybe it won't, but at least there will be more variety to it than swish-swish-sign. Liking RPGs was always frowned upon here anyway, even if it's gotten to rather ridiculous extremes lately.)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not necessarily about the SJW stuff. It's like...when Witcher 3 came out, you knew how the peasants would talk, you knew how the nobles would talk. You knew that Geralt and his buddies were cool dudes. You knew this game had a style that wasn't cringe, or you were at least familiar enough with it to overlook the cringe parts. Are characters like "Jackie" and "Dexter DeShawn" going to be cool and non-cringe? We just don't know. I wish CD Projekt had released more gameplay videos like the one from 2018 because it would have helped a lot here.

Prime Junta

I don't think it really matters what the usual suspects here say. They're gonna shit on any upcoming AAA game regardless. If it turns out to be shit, they'll do a little happy dance and shit on it some more, if not some of them will shut up, others will double down, and a few will go "well huh, imagine that." I doubt any amount of gameplay video could change that much.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
I was already a giant sci-fi nerd, knew my Asimovs and Heinleins and Clarkes and Lems and Zeleznys, and man was it a revelation, the whole genre blown up and put together in a new and radical configuration. You had to be there, man.

This means you are going to cry on your adventure through the Cyberspunk?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Most games that aren't 5 hour shooters are way too fucking long. Witcher 3 is filled with bloat and endless "open world" that is largely barren except for randomized loot and copy and paste monsters. Quality over fucking quantity, anyone saying otherwise has nothing else to do with their life and I pity them.

What kind of a dumb argument is this? Who cares what the frame rate is without it, if the frame rate with it hits your target?

By the same argument there’s no point playing at a higher resolution because that cuts into your frame rate too. 480p on Low, 1,000,000 FPS, hurray, who cares that my monitor can’t use that, it’s the number that counts.

I don't want to derail the thread again so I'll just say you make a solid point overall, but ray tracing is just extremely demanding still which makes it different to me. Halving your framerate for better reflections just isn't a calculus I can get behind like halving it for a tremendously higher resolution is. I did say it will depend on the person though, sure. Root of the comment was you'll still be making that decision with a 3080, since it still has the same impact on vs. off, but I'm not saying choosing ray tracing is a "bad" decision. All subjective.

Prime Junta

All subjective.

There's the rub, innit? I'll take a maximally pretty 1080p at 60 fps over less pretty 4K at the same fps, and any more fps would be wasted on me anyway as I have a 60 Hz monitor. So yeah subjective.

Of course I won't say no to maximally pretty 1440p or 4K, but given a choice between rez and settings I'll turn down the rez TYVM. Maybe it's just my old eyesight but subjectively there's really precious little difference between 1080p and 4K in this type of game. If it's an RTS or something with a ton of little fiddly things in it it's different ofc, but then that sort of thing is totally playable at 30fps.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There's the rub, innit? I'll take a maximally pretty 1080p at 60 fps over less pretty 4K at the same fps, and any more fps would be wasted on me anyway as I have a 60 Hz monitor. So yeah subjective.

Be wary, when you get a 144hz monitor it changes your calculus. Once you get used to high refresh suddenly 60 feels sluggish and choppy, like 30fps does to you now. It's funny because it's a product I love that I would still warn people about because of this effect. Can't really think of a parallel... eating sugar and getting fat I guess? Anyway I'm sitting there playing Control, flipping back and forth between native res 60fps, DLSS and ray tracing 60fps, or DLSS no ray tracing and 100fps, and man it is SO hard to turn off that 100fps feeling. It's heroin in your veins.

Prime Junta

I'll get a 144 Hz monitor when my GPU can push 1440p on it.

With ray tracing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom