Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG's with dark atmosphere

wahrk

Learned
KOTOR 2.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's probably the best module for NwN ever made. Writing, encounter design, C&C, it has everything. You could almost say it's a standalone RPG in its own right.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
It's probably the best module for NwN ever made. Writing, encounter design, C&C, it has everything. You could almost say it's a standalone RPG in its own right.

Here I am looking into that module at NWV, and what is the first thing I see in the comment section?

:hmmm:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Realms of the Haunting is a cross between an adventure game and RPG, with elements of shooter thrown in, and it has (or at least had when I played it) one of the best dark (in the sense of creepy) atmospheres of any game I've ever played. (Warning: graphics/audio old, crunchy and pixelated, might not pass muster today, but for its time it was pretty decent in those areas, relatively speaking.)

The MMO The Secret World was also quite dark under its apparently cheerful MMO-ey surface.

In both games, there's that Lovecraftian feeling of monumental forces moving behind the scenes and beyond your ken. You get tiny fragments of understanding, but you're seeing a vast performance from a distance, and you don't really know what it is, even, all you know is it's bad and it spells doom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Realms of the Haunting is a cross between an adventure game and RPG, with elements of shooter thrown in, and it has (or at least had when I played it) one of the best dark (in the sense of creepy) atmospheres of any game I've ever played. (Warning: graphics/audio old, crunchy and pixelated, might not pass muster today, but for its time it was pretty decent in those areas, relatively speaking.)
Is Realms of the Haunting a RPG? I remember it being and adventure game and a shooter, but I'm drawing a blank on anything RPG-related in nature. It's an amazing game though.

Last edited by a moderator:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It has some RPG elements. Sadly it also has the element which make despise Adventure games: dead man walking situations. But up until that rage quit inducing moment it was quite good.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Blood Omen/Soul Reaver series. Vampires are usually pretty dark. (Well, the Fiend in Grail Quest books is ligh-hearted and odd sort of. There's Count Chocula and the Count from Sesame street as well).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Dark Heart of Uukrul
You ain't kiddin'!
Stevil-Family-Matters-1.jpg

Td3JInZ.jpg

Martyr

Arcane
a very delicate game hasn't been mentioned yet, one that is suitable only for the most prestigious gentlemen: Sir David W. Bradley's Dungeon Lords!
the colors are astonishingly dark, the ambient soundtrack features the likes of chains rattling and ogres screaming. lots and lots of dungeons, filled with zombies, headless trolls and ghosts. and thanks to endless respawning enemies every single location feels like a warzone (similar only to Arnika Road or Arnika itself).

Dungeon Master 2 is also pretty dark. one part of the soundtrack is called "Endless Rain" - nomen est omen.

Lukifell

Educated
No one mentioned Wizardry yet?

I'm disappointed.
Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
I was talking about the original, but fair enough.
Well, it sure is dark, but atmosphere? Bit too abstract for that, no?
Worked fine for me -- it nails the oppressive feel of roaming the dungeon with its gameplay mechanics and the limited draw distance and minimal graphics add to that.
It is not actually true, Wizardry: Proving Grounds of Mad Overlord has pretty light-hearted atmosphere. Manual is full of jokes and funny images and game itself has not too serious approach. Remember the poetic THE PIT at level two or that funny sign with working hours at Werdna doors.

Yeah I dont get calling Wizardry "dark", its pretty light hearted

I'd say Wizardry is a rather great mix of light and dark elements. The maze is certainly oppressive.

Ultima VII: Part 1 and 2 and Ultima Underworld 1,2. Despite being really colorful games with a good deal of whimsy, I felt the impact of seeing this world that had been developed over previous titles slowly fall apart was pretty somber. UW1 was also just plain superficially dark, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom