Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire Episode 3: Night City and its Gangs

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; Cyberpunk 2077

Due to the last minute omission of a segment about the game's soundtrack, this month's installment of the Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire is a bit shorter than usual. What remains is an episode that's primarily about Night City lore. The first part is about the city in general, starting with a new trailer that takes the form of an infomercial narrated by in-universe media personalities. It's not incredibly interesting, but there are some interesting tidbits about area design in the following segment with level designer Miles Tost. And yes, that URL at the end of the trailer actually works.

The second part of the episode is specifically about the gangs of Night City, starting again with a trailer that introduces all the major players. Some of them we've seen before - the cyberware-obsessed Maelstrom from the 2018 gameplay video, and the Voodoo Boys and Animals from last year's deep dive. Others are on display here for the first time, including the Mexican Valentinos, the redneck 6th Street, the Japanese Tyger Claws, and the Moxes, a mostly female gang that provides protection to Night City's prostitutes. The trailer also offers a glimpse at two Nomad groups who operate in the badlands outside the city, the Wraiths and the Aldecaldos. In the following segment with quest director Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz, we learn that as a mercenary, V will not be able to join any of these gangs as a full member. His goal instead is to rise up in the elite mercenary circles of the Afterlife club.

The episode concludes with a brief look at the finalists of a Cyberpunk 2077-themed case modding contest that CD Projekt ran recently and the reveal of the game's PC system requirements, which are surprisingly low. I'll let you decide if that means downgrades or if the RED Engine is just that optimized. There will be a fourth episode of the Night City Wire "soon", presumably next month.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Due to the last minute omission of a segment about the game's soundtrack, this month's installment of the Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire is a bit shorter than usual.
lol, now they're cutting features from the previews.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
DirectX12 on Windows 7 ? Have i missed something ?

DX12 is now available for all game developers to use. You can't install it as an end-user in W7, though, because the game needs minor modifications to work with it and it's supposed to be shipped with the game. It also only works on the 64-bit version of Windows 7. If the game you're interested in running didn't come with the DirectX 12 for Windows 7 runtime then you'll have to ask the developer to add support for it.
Conclusion : CDPR will take care of it.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
that as a mercenary, V will not be able to join any of these gangs as a full member

Thats kinda lame. Why go to the effort of making like 8 different guilds when you can't join any? Many of them looked interesting aswell.
I hope they at least have a solid reputation system, so some of them can become hostile and some allied. Would be boring if all that effort went to waste just to have them be normal quest vendors.

As for the Gangs themselves, they are a bit too cleanly seperated into good and evil guilds on a first glance.
Animals, Maelstrom, Rednecks relatively evil.
Valentinos, Whores, Voodoo relatively good.
Idk where the Chinese stand.

But that might just be the marketing first impression. That or I am expecting too much from a now AAA studio.

Silly Germans

DirectX12 on Windows 7 ? Have i missed something ?

DX12 is now available for all game developers to use. You can't install it as an end-user in W7, though, because the game needs minor modifications to work with it and it's supposed to be shipped with the game. It also only works on the 64-bit version of Windows 7. If the game you're interested in running didn't come with the DirectX 12 for Windows 7 runtime then you'll have to ask the developer to add support for it.
Conclusion : CDPR will take care of it.
Thx for the clarification, i was already wondering why didn't find any updates for DX11 for Win7 although it was listed in the requirements.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Thats kinda lame. Why go to the effort of making like 8 different guilds when you can't join any? Many of them looked interesting aswell.
Yes, I too wanna join all the gangs and become the leader of all of them. Like Skyrim!

Fuck off altfag, or buy some reading glasses.
I am complaining that the gangs will probably have as much impact as corps in Borderlands. Absolutely none.

AndrewCC

Educated
You're retarded. Just cause I don't spend all my time reading threads & shitposting doesn't mean I'm an alt.

And they'll clearly have impact, you can do missions for all of them and ally with some.

Falksi

Arcane
I doubt the gang angle will have much of an impact too, but it's also the most that this game's interested me at any point. Simply because of it's similarities to the classic film & PS2 game The Warriors.

Probably still gonna be total & utter bollocks, but the gang things has moved it from "don't touch" to "pirate one day" for me.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I doubt the gang angle will have much of an impact too, but it's also the most that this game's interested me at any point. Simply because of it's similarities to the classic film & PS2 game The Warriors.

Probably still gonna be total & utter bollocks, but the gang things has moved it from "don't touch" to "pirate one day" for me.

I am vaguely interested since the lifepaths trailer. RPGs where your background dictates the first act of the game are quite rare, I think Dragon Age Origins was the last?

That said being pessimistic and then positively surprised if the end result is fun in any way is the path to go with AAA.

Zeriel

Arcane
I doubt anything will have much of an impact. Witcher 3 was a huge decline from 2 in terms of choices and consequence, almost nothing mattered to the gamestate, and boiled down to basically picking the ending for a character who wasn't even you. Cyberpunk 2077 will probably be even more superficial choices and less consequences, if patterns hold.

Dr Schultz

Augur
I doubt anything will have much of an impact. Witcher 3 was a huge decline from 2 in terms of choices and consequence, almost nothing mattered to the gamestate, and boiled down to basically picking the ending for a character who wasn't even you. Cyberpunk 2077 will probably be even more superficial choices and less consequences, if patterns hold.

mmmm...nope.

You don't have a complete different second Act based on a choice you've made in the Fist Act, but C&Cs are definitely abundant...

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/The_Witcher_3_decision_checklist

I'm expecting something similar from CP2077. No room for guild affiliations or granular C&Cs that builds into something bigger, but a decent amount of impactful C&Cs that leaves the mark in the game world.

Last edited:

Curratum

Hahahaha, oh good god, the detail pop-in when driving even at very modest speeds makes my head hurt.

Day 1 purchase to have a laugh with the downgrade, the laughable pop-in, then refunding. :D

I swear, GTA V, which is a 5-year-old game now (counting the PC release that doesn't look like PS3-gen console ass), has more distant detail in the desert areas than this... This is literally two dozen tiny, low-res sprites, starting from 50-60 meters away from the camera.

SnsdHm2.jpg

That's without even mentioning Red Dead 2, which is also two-years-old now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curratum

Day 1 purchase to have a laugh with the downgrade, the laughable pop-in, then refunding.
Suuuuuure. You are going to refund it. You are just buying it Day 1 to have a laugh. We believe you, totally believe you.

Well, if pirated copies unpacking didn't take eleventy hours because of the ridiculous compression, I'd just pirate it, but it's literally more work than trying it out for 2 hours on Steam.

Prime Junta

BUT RAY TRACING :argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom