Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

flyingjohn

Arcane
Fuck this piece of shit store with its broken captcha bullshit.

"HEY WANNA TRY 20 IMAGES OF MOUSE AND CHEESE BULLSHIT AND IF YOU TAKE TOO LONG YOU HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN,AHAHAH".

Steam simply sends a verification code on your mail,Epic is too retarded to even do that.
Now imagine if this shit was the actual norm and they decide the new captcha for you account is to recreate commie leader Winnie face in 10 seconds or be banned.

Dexter

Arcane
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...vestments-draw-u-s-national-security-scrutiny
Tencent’s Gaming Stakes Draw U.S. National Security Scrutiny
By Jenny Leonard, Saleha Mohsin, and David McLaughlin
17. September 2020, 21:57 MESZ Updated on 18. September 2020, 03:47 MESZ
  • Cfius sent letters to gaming companies about data security
  • Move is part of heightened scrutiny on Chinese companies
The Trump administration has asked gaming companies to provide information about their data-security protocols involving Chinese technology giant Tencent Holdings Ltd., people familiar with the matter said.

The Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S., which is chaired by the Treasury Department, has sent letters to companies, including Epic Games Inc., Riot Games and others, to inquire about their security protocols in handling Americans’ personal data, said the people, who asked not to be named because the discussions are private.

Tencent, the world’s largest gaming company, owns Los Angeles-based Riot and has a 40% stake in Epic, which is the maker of the popular video game Fortnite. Representatives for the companies declined to comment or didn’t immediately respond. The Treasury Department declined to comment.

1000x-1.jpg

Inside the Riot Games Inc. campus in Los Angeles in 2019.
Photographer: Kyle Grillot/Bloomberg

The inquiry builds on the Trump administration’s heightened scrutiny of Chinese companies and their ties to U.S. firms -- a source of fresh tension with the Beijing government and a pillar of President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign. Tencent’s shares sank as much as 2.8% in Hong Kong, trimming their gains for the year to roughly 36%.

Trump already has ByteDance Ltd., owner of the TikTok video app, in his sights and is cracking down on Tencent’s WeChat app.

Cfius investigates foreign acquisitions of American businesses for national security risks. It has authority to examine full acquisitions as well as non-controlling investments and recommend that the president block or unwind deals. It can also scrutinize deals that weren’t voluntarily reported to the committee before closing.

Sensitive Data
Aimen Mir, who ran Cfius reviews at the Treasury Department when he was the deputy assistant secretary for investment security, said in an interview on Bloomberg TV after the report that the committee has traditionally been concerned about protecting sensitive data like health, financial and government-employee information but is now broadening the type of data it’s focused on.

“When you’re talking about massive amounts of data, there’s probably something for the committee to look at,” said Mir, now a lawyer at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer. “The question then becomes is the risk high enough that it actually warrants forcing deals apart.” That carries risks, including retaliation against U.S. companies doing business in China, he added.

Congress in 2018 increased Cfius’s jurisdiction to review transactions by foreign companies retroactively for non-controlling investments if the companies involved maintain or collect sensitive personal data of U.S. citizens.

Popular Games
Tencent has more than 300 investments in its portfolio, according to PC Gamer. That makes it the force behind many of the world’s most popular games. In 2011, Tencent paid $400 million for a 93% stake in Los Angeles-based Riot Games, the studio behind League of Legends, the No. 1 game on PCs. Four years later, it scooped up the rest.

What Bloomberg Intelligence Says
Tencent’s U.S. gaming investments, including Riot Games, Epic Games and Activision Blizzard may be at risk of forced divestment similar to ByteDance’s TikTok with the Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S. launching an inquiry on national security grounds. We estimate Tencent’s U.S. assets could be worth at least $22 billion, and account for 6-7% of its sales and profits.

- Vey-Sern Ling and Tiffany Tam, analysts

In 2012, Tencent made a $330 million investment in Epic Games, based in Cary, North Carolina. Tencent also owns a small stake in Activision Blizzard Inc., based in Santa Monica, California, and the maker of the Call of Duty franchise.

In August, Trump issued executive orders prohibiting U.S. residents and firms from doing business with Tencent’s WeChat and ByteDance’s TikTok. The scope of those restrictions are expected to be announced by the Commerce Department around Sept. 20.

ByteDance has been negotiating with Oracle Corp. to take a stake in a reconfigured TikTok to alleviate the president’s concerns about data on the app’s American users being exposed to China.

Trump has escalated his fight with Beijing in recent months as the November presidential elections approach and has blamed China for the Covid-19 pandemic.

— With assistance by Olga Kharif, Shelly Banjo, Candy Cheng, Shiyin Chen, and Edwin Chan

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They're only an investor in Epic, so if the guvvamint is gonna go after anyone with a major Chinese investor that's gonna get real interesting real quick. Not even saying I disagree with it, but... damn.

abija

Prophet
Well keep in mind apple is lining enough goverment pockets that they are looking for contraband earpods so ...

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
How well known was that free Steam fortnight though? The only thing I assume a ton of people know about Epic is that they give away a ton of free games, and thus pay more attention to it. I'm curious how good the sales afterward will be.

Perkel

Arcane
RTC3 free on epic now. Next week some unknown indie, probably they will swap it or add to it like they often do.

Perkel

Arcane
Dungeons 3 for free this week. For some reason i actually watched video on store page and.....

WTF ? Someone made direct 1:1 clone of Dungeon Keeper and i don't know anything about it ? And this is 3rd game at that ? Expecting some crappy game mobile port or something but i will install it and test it.

Perkel

Arcane
ok guys this is legit. Art is worse so far but humor is pretty good though heavy with memes. (For example talking about dungeon heart and being sued by other game publishers)

unknown.png

deama

Prophet
Yeah I played dungeons 3 a couple years ago, was ok, only played it for a day, didn't get very far.
I was hoping they would have a giant overworld map, with a giant underworld map and over-time you'd get new missions etc...
basically no mission-based story line because it ends up resetting my dungeon, even resetting the research, quite annoying.
The original dungeon keeper games had this too, but they were the first of their kind, and they did some parts better than this game, so I can forgive it, but this is a spiritual successor, in an already 3rd installment, and it still isn't doing it, beh.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Did the epic stoke kind off died ? Is fortnight still popular? I haven't seen a youngnut playing it in quite long time,now they are all about the nu call of duty battle royal.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dungeons 3 for free this week. For some reason i actually watched video on store page and.....

WTF ? Someone made direct 1:1 clone of Dungeon Keeper and i don't know anything about it ? And this is 3rd game at that ? Expecting some crappy game mobile port or something but i will install it and test it.

The first game wasn't really a DK clone. It was more of a resort building game where you had to entice the heroes in and give them monsters to slay.

The 2nd and 3rd game were straight DK clones more or less.

Mazisky

Magister
Given for free I would not argue much, the game has above average production values, decent graphics, awesome soundtrack, fun gameplay and a long enjoyable campaign.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm sure indie games especially love being an Epic giveaway, just to get word of mouth. The percentage of idiots who would boycott a game over that is infinitesimally small.

I imagine it depends on the contract but I've seen at least one dev talk about how they receive a percentage of compensation for every download of the game as it's being given away. We know they get something besides word-of-mouth. For a game with no install base or "guaranteed sales" this could be the best thing ever, basically a guaranteed bag of at least some money for them + exposure.

Dexter

Arcane
War for the Overworld is the actual Dungeon Keeper Spiritual successor:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom