Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

a cut of domestic sheep prime

But not all of them died in space. Belka and Strelka returned just fine and lived happily ever after.
Ok, so he only killed some puppies. Good to know. :roll:

The only good communist is a dead communist. Which, I guess technically makes Lenin a good communist now that he's dead...

But not in this LP we're he's still alive fsr - an oversight we should correct after we're done with monster hunting school.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
daddy demon dog would make us his dreadfully dominated dingo-dongo
bro you don't know that
bro, have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
ever sold your soul to any ancient demon princes as a strapping 12yo lad?
how high must a dude's WIS score be to figure out that THE demon prince of strife and violence just possibly might be into domination, and probably treats his agents as perishable puppet puppies?
:happytrollboy:

hello friend

Arcane
bro you don't know that
how high must a dude's WIS score be to figure out that THE demon prince of strife and violence just possibly might be into domination, and probably treats his agents as perishable puppet puppies?
Maybe he's just lonely and wants to play fetch

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
bro you don't know that
yes, quite

if we had not voted to think of Rain while advancing to his prison (therefore gaining her silver shield), his loneliness would've resulted in
Locking it to C then. DEMONZ end avoided. +M

poor doggy, yes yes fetch fetch

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
When you do not bring a stick (or a shield) for the doggy to chew on, you are the chew toy. Could be worse. Could hump our leg.

Oh, and that reminds me. There were other people to think of in that dream, yet only thinking of nothing would have seen us worse off. I wonder what Liz could have done.

hello friend

Arcane
bro you don't know that
yes, quite

if we had not voted to think of Rain while advancing to his prison (therefore gaining her silver shield), his loneliness would've resulted in
Locking it to C then. DEMONZ end avoided. +M

poor doggy, yes yes fetch fetch
Shush. Pitbulls aren't dangerous, you just need to be a responsible owner.

Baltika9

Arcane
It's ok guys, I'm sure Liz will be fine without us...
jMXajXS.png
More like:

amirite?

Yeah, no, she's either a vampire and she'll be fine, or we'll avoid seeing our friend on her death bed.

No puffed-up speeches this time, I just wanted an excuse to post the clip.

1A votes are certainly appreciated, tho,. C'mon guys, it'll be fun.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's ok guys, I'm sure Liz will be fine without us...
jMXajXS.png
More like:

amirite?

Yeah, no, she's either a vampire and she'll be fine, or we'll avoid seeing our friend on her death bed.

No puffed-up speeches this time, I just wanted an excuse to post the clip.

1A votes are certainly appreciated, tho, it'll be fun.

Even if we're not working at the hospital, I'd still be in favor in skipping school/schlepping for commies to see her one last time at least. I mean she's a friend and we've known her for quite some time.

Kipeci

Arcane
Normally when I have a friend or family member who’s sick at the hospital I will visit them but I will not take up a job at that hospital to always be lurking around them. Especially if I were having to deal with the fluids of patients.

C is dedicating serious time and effort to try and help her. It’s not a visit. Of course we can visit. That’s not the issue or the aim of C.

Normally when I have a friend or family member who’s sick at the hospital I will visit them but I will not take up a job at that hospital to always be lurking around them. Especially if I were having to deal with the fluids of patients.
Generally people don’t find solutions to ailments by just visiting them either.

C is going all in on trying to save Liz.

You can call it foolish or a chore or whatever, or that we can never succeed to do what a doctor in the year 1895 failed to do, but it’s a shot. Just like trying to save Rain instead of lying in the mud and praying was a shot at the beginning of the game.

Baltika9

Arcane
C is dedicating serious time and effort to try and help her.
No, C is about going there to get a job, not help Liz. This is an orderly apprenticeship arranged by her parents because the hospital needs an orderly, not a wink-wink nudge-nudge arrangement between us and Ralph to help Liz.
The Baythers themselves had also informed you of another opportunity; coincidentally, this was at the hospital at which Elizabeth was warded. You would be expected to apprentice as an orderly there.
C. Accept the apprenticeship at the hospital.
There is nothing about it that suggests we're going there for Liz. I genuinely don't see how you're transmuting a job opportunity secured by her parents at a hospital into us dedicating our life to helping Liz.

There is nothing about it that suggests we're going there for Liz.
It’s our implied motivation as a player. Just like when we decided to learn to finger paint with communists, it implied that we spent less time with Liz, hence the multi-week gap in our even seeing her.

Being nearer to Liz will naturally provide more opportunities to help her. That’s why we’d pick C as players over the other choices. Just like your constant and disturbing lust for commie man-ass has you picking A.

It’s not about an income source, it’s about where we choose to spend our time and with whom.

That’s how choices work. That’s why we haven’t seen Sophie in forever. Couldn’t we visit her too? Sure. Can we write her? Yep. But we made our choice. We moved. So now there’s not much Sophie and a lot more Liz and Lenin. And if you get your way, there will be a lot less Liz in that equation.

Baltika9

Arcane
It’s not about an income source, it’s about where we choose to spend our time and with whom.
'C will give us more opportunities to visit Liz' is a different argument from 'C is about dedicating our life to saving Liz, guise!'

Yes, we probably have a shot at sneaking in to her quarters between shifts. I don't see it as the best use of Wrinkly's time, since there's nothing we can really do except be there for her. It's nice, but it's something she explicitly said she doesn't want us to do. She wound rather we get out there and live our best life, for her as well as us.

If she is a vampire, otoh, then she doesn't really need our help...
Just like your constant and disturbing lust for commie man-ass has you picking A.
I'm just in it for the intrigue, bank robberies, shootouts with the Leibguard, special agent hijinks and large-scale politics down the line, I swear!
:oops:

No, but seriously, I am. Besides, Nadezhda will kill us if we make any moves on her man.

Edit:
We moved. So now there’s not much Sophie and a lot more Liz and Lenin
...and that's a bad thing why, exactly?
+M

The man is giving us a window into politics and the training to survive it.

Last edited:

'C will give us more opportunities to visit Liz'
I didn't say that. I said it would give us more opportunities to help her.

Visitors to a hospital rarely heal the patient. We've already tried just visiting her. We need to be closer to the problem to have a chance of doing anything and I'm confident an opportunity will present itself.

One already did and we just chose not to take it. Who knows what other choices we might have, provided we're actually close enough to the girl to make them?
I don't see it as the best use of Wrinkly's time, since there's nothing we can really do except be there for her. It's nice, but it's something she explicitly said she doesn't want us to do. She wound rather we get out there and live our best life, for her as well as us.
And if she said "leave me to die, go on and live your life!" would you make the same argument or would you try to save her?

The way I see it, you're making excuses. You want to be a communist and everything else is fluff.
I'm just in it for the intrigue, bank robberies, shootouts with the Leibguard, special agent hijinks and large-scale politics down the line, I swear!
:oops:

No, but seriously, I am. Besides, Nadezhda will kill us if we make any moves on her man.

Edit:
We moved. So now there’s not much Sophie and a lot more Liz and Lenin
...and that's a bad thing why, exactly?
+M

The man is giving us a window into politics and the training to survive it.

And there's the proof of it. Your one track mind to Lenin's dick is not what the driving force of this lets play should be.

I really hate how I have to make this same argument over and over when I've clearly stated my point several times btw, but if Baltika is going make strawman arguments and shill commie memes on every page of this thread for the next few days until the vote gets locked, I feel obligated to push back and at least make sure my argument isn't misrepresented.

Apologies to you bros who just want to go to monster hunting prep school and are tired of reading "Communism vs Save Liz" on every page.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
I was about to comment that what the driving force behind the LP needs to be is a two-track path to Lenin's dick and lend Baltika some memetic support, but the joke has exhausted itself. And since the argument is more or less back to a civil one, I will respond to it seriously.

treave's LPs are good at providing opportunities that aren't evident at the time of the choice, but should have been in hindsight. It is what causes us to sometimes pin unfounded hopes on certain options, because there were precedents of those coming to fruition even at times when no one expected them to (see: the Fire Lord case). It is what informs a very sound policy of these LPs that people have voiced before: if you want something, pick a choice that has to do with that something more so than others. All things come to those who wait.

In that sense, even though a way to help Liz can not be seen from where we are, it would certainly be easier to recognize and take it if we stay close to her. And much as I hope that other choices won't close off that path, treave's plot branches are often (but not always) exclusive. Just the order in which we go about our business changes things around.

Is Liz an important enough character that she wouldn't be killed off on a choice that does not directly pertain to saving her? It's possible, but it is equally possible to hear "you had a pick of priorities, and Liz wasn't one of them" instead.

So I don't buy the "maybe there is nothing we can do anyway" logic I hear from some of the posters. Going to the city was 50/50 also going with Liz, she is one of our companions, and she still breathes, so saving her is down the questing tree somewhere... and some paths run closer to it than others.

Of course, the very same logic is what pushes me towards the early XXth century politics and Rasputin vs Lenin rap battles while the entire world watches.

Because I imagine it won't be easy for a hunter to insert himself in the center of a political tornado otherwise; most of it just doesn't concern us.

But I would prefer the hospital stay and getting education as a doctor if I can't get that.

It's nice, but it's something she explicitly said she doesn't want us to do.
Nah, she doesn't want us to stagnate and waste our life on chores. Becoming a doctor is a legitimate career choice... and her parents wouldn't have offered that if they thought it a dead end. Her father was the one who nudged us out of the house to find ourselves.
Yes, this is going above and beyond a visit, which is why it is more likely to produce a different result. Visitors don't cure patients; doctors do.

Last edited:

But I would prefer the hospital stay and getting education as a doctor if I can't get that.
I actually have been thinking about that. It’d be an interesting character and it would fit with who we are so far.

Remember how we treated Liz’s leg with that salve?

Granted, we’ve not done nearly as much doctoring as we have adventuring, but it’s an interesting build that might round off our character nicely, should we continue the path of the hero who takes care of his friends.

Baltika9

Arcane
Granted, we’ve not done nearly as much doctoring as we have adventuring, but it’s an interesting build that might round off our character nicely,
I can see us becoming a doctor. Wrinkly's greatest power is hard, dedicated work. In keeping with the established pattern, it's quite possible that someone will offer us an education after they see our work ethic. Adults just love to help us.

I retain my politics>monster hunting priorities, tho.

Understandable. Again, just a thought.

My own priorities are still doing what we can to save Liz > monster hunting, obviously.

Nevill

Arcane
The Tzar brings John Keynes, Friedrich Hayek and Vladimir Lenin before him, and says to them:
"I have three islands inhabited by savages. You know: gather berries, hunt with wooden spears, dress in fig leaves, the works. We need to modernize them. You are smart people; I'll leave you in charge of one island each so you could bring about the most prosperous economy."
A year passes, but none are heard from again. The Tzar sends an envoy to learn what happened. The envoy returns and tells him the news.
"Hayek said that there should be fair competition between people, gave everyone a spear, and began waiting for the economy to grow."
"And?"
"They all murdered each other on the first day. The last man standing was the strongest savage; he killed and ate Hayek."
"A tragedy. But what about Keynes?"
"Keynes did things differently. All spears went to the chieftain and his retinue. The rest were only allowed to use them if they gave away part of their catch."
"So?"
"The chieftain raised the payment for spears every month until everyone died of hunger, and his croneys from obesity."
"Well, if these gentlemen have failed, then Lenin couldn't possibly have succeeded. Still I am curious what he did with his."
"Oh," the envoy whips out the Nagant, "They are disarming the guards as we speak and demand you abdicate in the name of the revolution."
The revolutionary dream was sweet, if brief. I had big plans for our Fremen brethren. Oh well. :negative:

Can I interest you gentlemen in the Way of a Goat Doctor instead?

1C. Accept the apprenticeship at the hospital.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom