Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls Remake

Adon

Arcane
It's not just the color gradient, but the whole art direction has changed and it looks worse because of it. Everything about the remake comes across as some goofy, cartoony, magical medieval fantasy game as opposed to the grounded direction of the original game of a normal medieval kingdom that got enveloped in a fog that brought otherwordly magic; no, in the remake, it looks like fantasy is natural part of the world before the fog. Yeah, the original game lacked a certain ornate quality on purpose and maybe that looks boring for the folk at BluePoint who have shown that they remarkably missed the point.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Remake is not a Remaster. If you want a carbon copy of the original, go play the original.
This.

Altho it WOULD be cool if Sony bundled the PC port of the original with the Remake. The bloomy jank does have its charm plus it'd hopefully shut up all the nostalgiafaggotry. It'll never happen, ofc.

Adon

Arcane
Remake is not a Remaster. If you want a carbon copy of the original, go play the original.

Who said anything about a carbon copy? Contrary to what my post might’ve indicated, I’m not opposed to BluePoint doing their own thing, but this isn’t even that. If anything, everything so far is essentially a carbon copy, but “prettier” and with exaggerated animations.

Allanon

Augur
It's not just the color gradient, but the whole art direction has changed and it looks worse because of it.

I’m not opposed to BluePoint doing their own thing, but this isn’t even that.

Change of art direction is part of doing their own thing, which you're not opposed to. Everything else is a matter of taste.

Adon

Arcane
It's not just the color gradient, but the whole art direction has changed and it looks worse because of it.

I’m not opposed to BluePoint doing their own thing, but this isn’t even that.

Change of art direction is part of doing their own thing, which you're not opposed to. Everything else is a matter of taste.

Not being opposed to them doing their own thing doesn't mean that the change in art direction is immune to criticism or comparison. It looks worse for a number of reasons, but a big one is a narrative one. Demystifying the world fundamentally changes how people experience the game, and I'm not just talking about people who've played the original, I'm talking about newer players whose first foray into Demon's Souls is going to be remake. But again, this isn't BluePoint doing their own thing. Everything so far looks like it'll be structurally be the same game, with the same cutscenes, and same story beats (if the shown material and their SotC remake are anything to go), but with BluePoint's idea of "better graphics" that misunderstands the art direction of the original and why it worked.

However, don't misunderstand, the technical aspect of it looks amazing, but that doesn't excuse the art direction.

Allanon

Augur
I'm talking about newer players whose first foray into Demon's Souls is going to be remake.

New players' experience won't be different. It will just be an experience, their first one. I have a surprise for you - if those players played the original game today, their experience would also have been different than gamers' in 2009.

You can't step into the same river twice as you can't remake a game and expect no change. Just the upgraded lighting in modern engines would have changed the 'environmental storytelling'.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to capture the original atmosphere, at least to a degree, but they aren't even trying, because this has nothing to do about being true to the original and has everything to do with making money.

Adon

Arcane
I'm talking about newer players whose first foray into Demon's Souls is going to be remake.

New players' experience won't be different. It will just be an experience, their first one. I have a surprise for you - if those players played the original game today, their experience would also have been different than gamers' in 2009.

You can't step into the same river twice as you can't remake a game and expect no change. Just the upgraded lighting in modern engines would have changed the 'environmental storytelling'.

Ah, moving goal posts, are we? Yeah, no shit, it's going to be different, and my criticisms aren't entirely for "environmental storytelling", but for how mundane they're making the fantasy elements look. I also don't know where you're getting that I want this game to be the same experience, but ironic that outside of the art direction, it looks pretty much the same. There's a lot that accentuates the atmosphere in Demon's Souls from the lighting to the color gradient to the simple designs and environments; the remake is opting for something else entirely. Again, I would not be opposed to BluePoint doing their own thing, but they aren't.

My criticism has simply been that the art direction is worse and detailing how BP misunderstood the "boring" medieval setting of the original game. It's the same thing that most people gushing over the game misunderstand -- level of detail =/= good art direction or style.

Allanon

Augur
My criticism has simply been that the art direction is worse and detailing how BP misunderstood the "boring" medieval setting of the original game.

Art direction is not worse, it's somewhat different and not to your taste.

Shadow of the colossus remake was also different, less bleak and didn't suffer for it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My criticism has simply been that the art direction is worse and detailing how BP misunderstood the "boring" medieval setting of the original game.

Shadow of the colossus remake was also different, less bleak and didn't suffer for it.

You're doing a great job but it's pointless. Trust me, I've been there.

Adon

Arcane

I’m sure I know my taste better than you do. That isn’t the issue. I’d be fine with the way the game looks if this was something different.

Also, if you think that I don’t have criticisms about the SotC remake, ohoho, you’re in for a surprise. But this isn’t about that, and seeing how you’re not really engaging in the discussion and merely dismiss my points, not bothering going into detail.

You're doing a great job but it's pointless. Trust me, I've been there.

Is he 10 years old or something? I can’t just disagree with the guy.

Allanon

Augur
But this isn’t about that, and seeing how you’re not really engaging in the discussion and merely dismiss my points, not bothering going into detail.

What is there to engage? Your statement is based in personal taste, and I can't argue it. It seems like your premise is that the original vision/art style/atmosphere is very important and should be preserved in a remake.

Do you believe that if Miyazaki made the game today it would have had same style? I actually doubt it - I think some of it was just the limitation of the hardware back then. Sometimes just frugality of resources make an interesting visual style, even though it wasn't necessarily by choice.

I'll enjoy trying out BP's 2020 spin on the game.

Adon

Arcane
What is there to engage? Your statement is based in personal taste, and I can't argue it. It seems like your premise is that the original vision/art style/atmosphere is very important and should be preserved in a remake.

How is it personal preference?

Do you believe that if Miyazaki made the game today it would have had same style? I actually doubt it - I think some of it was just the limitation of the hardware back then. Sometimes just frugality of resources make an interesting visual style, even though it wasn't necessarily by choice.

That's irrelevant.

I'll enjoy trying out BP's 2020 spin on the game.

What spin?

Mortmal

Arcane

Not less bleak, less blurry , sharper. A very good port it keeps the original atmosphere. Thats not the case in demon soul, it goes from bleak dark decaying horror atmosphere to world of warcraft like , if this picture is still relevant now:

GgwBBRH.png

Ninjerk

Arcane
Maybe they didn't have orange and teal on PS3. Those stupid old games, you know--they weren't as good as you remember them so we'll make them better for you!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom