Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Fallout was made by a different group of people who had a different tone in mind. Wasteland should retain its own identity rather than copy its successor.
The thing is i don't really think Wasteland has really found its identity yet. I don't think it should copy Fallout at all, but they really should try more to make the world more cohesive. As it stands, its contrived and disjointed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasteland's identity is basically Mad Max, but in a world that has more going on in it than road warriors battling in the desert.

To me, the most noticeable difference between Wasteland and Fallout is that in the latter, the shadows of the old world seem to exert much more of an influence. In a way, contrary to popular opinion, it's Fallout that is the wackier of the two. A setting that's constantly haunted by the pre-apocalyptic past, while the world of Wasteland concerns itself with the here and now.

Like yeah, it's "disjointed" because that's how a post-apocalyptic reality would be when you don't have these viral concepts like the Vaults and the Brotherhood of Steel overshadowing your entire setting! But yes, those pervasive "old world blues" do serve as an organizing principle for the Fallout setting that Wasteland lacks.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Whatever is Wasteland's identity, it is not very compelling atm. I think an xcom style Wasteland game(base/troop management -> sending ranger teams to missions on a map) would have fit better than trad. exploration RPG gameplay we got.

ed: since they don't wanna give us a(only one) character to roleplay and want us to roleplay a team, why not go all the way and let us be the commander/general.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Wasteland's identity is basically Mad Max, but in a world that has more going on in it than road warriors battling in the desert.

To me, the most noticeable difference between Wasteland and Fallout is that in the latter, the shadows of the old world seem to exert much more of an influence. In a way, contrary to popular opinion, it's Fallout that is the wackier of the two. A setting that's constantly haunted by the pre-apocalyptic past, while the world of Wasteland concerns itself with the here and now.

Like yeah, it's "disjointed" because that's how a post-apocalyptic reality would be when you don't have these viral concepts like the Vaults and the Brotherhood of Steel overshadowing your entire setting! But yes, those pervasive "old world blues" do serve as an organizing principle for the Fallout setting that Wasteland lacks.

That's an intersting argument, that Fallout is actually the wackier part of the post-apoc series compared to Wasteland. I guess I kind of agree, but still, it seems more grounded, because there's not many zany and lulsy outlies like fucking clown factions and that stuff, which kind of borders on pretty fucking dumb and silly

.. then again, you could argue that big green orc like super mutants are also fucking dumb and silly as fuck, but it kind of gels better still

Fallout 2 had alot more "silly" elements, to be sure, but I still think there's a bleak contrast between fallout 1 and something like WL3.

I thought Wasteland 3 alludes quite abit to pre-war times and the time in between, to bridget the gap to the here and now, it just doesnt hold as much punch narratively and not as engaging as the fallout premise overall.

I mean vaults are directly tied to the old-world-new world era, so yes, they were a brilliant concept back then.

I found myself constantly wanting abit more "realistic and down to earth" stuff in Wasteland 3, like old bunkers, secrets and shit like that, because they allude to it, but what I got was more of a fun crazy themepark. The sillyness aside though, Wastelands premise is definitely not a bad one, and is quite engaging especially in some parts that hit just the right notes

GloomFrost

Arcane
Will we ever see a proper serious post ap RPG without all that wacky and silly nonsense ever again? Why can no one replicate that same feel and atmosphere Fallout 1 had. I like wasteland and Atom and New Vegas but they are not even close to what F1 felt like. Underail sort of tries but then again not the same.

cpmartins

Cipher
Whatever is Wasteland's identity, it is not very compelling atm. I think an xcom style Wasteland game(base/troop management -> sending ranger teams to missions on a map) would have fit better than trad. exploration RPG gameplay we got.
There's absolutely no reason that it couldn't be an hybrid RPG/XCOM. You'd have the same elements as XCOM but would get missions, tips for encounters that would possibly start a questline, etc. Even in-map dialogues like FO:T could be made to open several other opportunities, including skill checks, multiple-choice branching dialogue, etc. The main issue I see with a project like that is the dilution of one element over the other.

Maybe they could use W3 already developed software suite and embed some well-thought out base building/random mission generation/roster management on top of that. They could make something truly great if done right, maybe a true spiritual successor to JA2.

With regards to Wasteland 3's world and whackiness, i think the crazy stuff could be fine the way it is now, so long as the rest of the world was to be made to feel more real the way Fallout does it: by including many areas, locations and NPCs only meant to serve the purpose of grounding the whole thing in reality. Stuff that makes up the infrastructure of the world. The game already has caravans, traders and so on and so forth. It only neede to expand on them and give it all a plausibility pass. For instance, the Gippers are said to be the only people who know how to refine oil. This is cool, but we don't see it done, we only hear about it. Also, we don't see the Gippers using this as an advatnage against the Patriarch. He mentions that they do, but we don't see its effects in the game. I think the game misses things like that. It needs threads to hold everything together.

Extremely Khaw.

why? Fallout was made because he could not get wasteland IP. What is actually gained from the wacky clown shit, the rabbits and the nuns with guns and the way too many robots everywhere? Its always been the worst part of wasteland, adds nothing at all, and many times feels likes its trying too hard to be 'crazy' or something. The best parts are when its not doing that. The prisoner guy was good, but he was not 'wacky' clown guy, he was more like 'the dude' from the great lebowski or something.

Fallout was made by a different group of people who had a different tone in mind. Wasteland should retain its own identity rather than copy its successor.
thats fine, but I just wish it could find a more 'realistic' tone and stick with it, it feels like random carnival. I enjoyed wastland the most when it was being less wacky, that does not mean not funny. I did think the prisoner guy was well written, but maybe partly I thought that because he was well acted IMO...I did not mind that at all. But sometimes it feels like they try too hard.

680x0

Learned
TFW you murder that (one chick) in the prison at the end and she still shows up in the story board ending :<

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So far the only wacky shit I kind of like is the serbitor bots in the war roob.

But GOD DAMMIT I HATE Unity. It's really the most vile engine ever created. Early 2000's tier graphics quality, constant lagging and tiny-ass levels with incredibly long load times.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
While I didnt like W2 I think it did a much better job of balancing the tone then W3.

In W2 there were silly and wacky moments but they are balanced by many more grounded elements.

As I said W3 feels like the game shipped with only a small part of content which they envisioned for the final game. Problem is that most things they placed in the game were wacky parts which just made the game feel like a theme park.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
While I didnt like W2 I think it did a much better job of balancing the tone then W3.

In W2 there were silly and wacky moments but they are balanced by many more grounded elements.

As I said W3 feels like the game shipped with only a small part of content which they envisioned for the final game. Problem is that most things they placed in the game were wacky parts which just made the game feel like a theme park.
They'll be selling DLC and "expansions," which will really just fill out what the base game should have been.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

They'll be selling DLC and "expansions," which will really just fill out what the base game should have been.

Problem still remains with what kind of content will they fill it

What I would like to see is a large city with multiple hubs that's grounded in reality with very few wacky characters.

What I don't want to see is more wacky locations like Santa's workshop.

SoupNazi

I don't want to see any big hubs because I don't want to spend my time on loading screens for 20 minutes per each 60 minutes of playing.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Pretty sure the next DLC will add a something in the Rocky Mountains the artbook and some older news about the game make it seem like a much more important part of the map.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Problem still remains with what kind of content will they fill it

What I would like to see is a large city with multiple hubs that's grounded in reality with very few wacky characters.

What I don't want to see is more wacky locations like Santa's workshop.

Wait, you mean the Zoomerpunk space shuttle wasn't realistic? :lol:

SoupNazi

I don't want to see any big hubs because I don't want to spend my time on loading screens for 20 minutes per each 60 minutes of playing.

Just alt tab the game while it loads and watch some tv show thats on your backlog.
I would have but the game crashed quite often when tabbing during loading. Funnily enough, I ran in almost zero other problems, but tabbing out from the loading screen would mean a crash like 4/10 times lol. Eventually I gave up and played sudoku on my phone.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I posted this in the official forums already, but maybe the Codex has an answer for me:

"So I have the Provost following my party. The moment I speak to Scotchmo the first time and add him to the team, the Provost stops following me. Instead, he just stays where he's at at the moment. When I travel to a different location, he isn't there either. When I return to the HQ where I left him, he is gone.
I thought I might find a way around that, but after reloading several saves around that moment, he isn't even where he was when I saved the game, but instead just disappered altogether.

Worth noting:
- The last thing I mentioned (about the reloaded saves) seems to apply to post-1.1.0-patch - saves only. On my older save from before the patch, right before I talk to Scotchmo, he is still there when I reload.
[The general problem of the Provost not following and finally disappearing was there pre-patch too though.]
- It think it may have to do with talking to and adding Scotchmo, at least it appeared that way from the very limited experimenting I did.
Removing Scotchmo from the party again doesn't help. Once I intially talked to Scotchmo, the Provost stops following.

What can I do, is there a way to change that? I don't want to lose the Provost just like that, especially since I read that there was some scene that can be "unlocked" with him present."

Saduj

Arcane
I was kinda glad when The Provost died in my game. He was always in the way. Standing in the path of my tank or running up close so I can’t use rocket attacks without fragging him. A few times he was helpful but mostly he just slowed things down.

Party Bot is a bro though. That Russian bot you can get towards endgame is good too.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So is this getting any more patches or what? I was going to wait until the next patch before I pirated it, but now it's been 10 days since the last one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom