Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zer0wing

Cipher
TdKpRwH.png
What a fucking shitshow of an engine.:lol:
So this is, in fact, DX11+DXR 1.1 featureset hastly mashed together to get a partner deal with Nvidia. GTX 1066 and R9 Nano both hover around 50-60FPS at 1080P on ultra settings in DX11 Witcher 3 and RX 474 has around the same framerate as GTX 780 3gb, 40-45. In Vulkan and true DX12 titles, Fury series destroy GTX 1066 and are up to GTX 1070 level of performance (at least when those games fit into 4gb vram buffer).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Zoomers, man. They just don't grok Cyberpunk, perhaps because the world we live in is uncannily similar to the world in it.

What they see as "SJW agenda" or "multicult" or whatever are just core tropes in it.

Codex is edgelording the game because Codex is always edgelording everything, especially if it's AAA. The whole point of being on Codex is to channel your inner nerd rage in a safe, understanding environment.

As for the SJW agenda, I agree. Game will be full of dindus, fags and powahful wahmen but dindus won't be oppressed, fags won't play victims all the time and women will hold and exercise power in an adult, natural way (i.e. CEOs, managers, fixers instead of 70 kilo slender girls punching through entire gangs of burly bangers). Woke tropes will be there but they won't be pushing any agenda, not really. Meaning the game will catch flak from both sides.

On the plus side it will leave various journalists, bluechecks and other leftard sewage utterly confused, at least initially, and I'm looking forward to that.

Prime Junta

On the plus side it will leave various journalists, bluechecks and other leftard utterly confused, at least initially, and I'm looking forward to that.

We got a pretty good preview of that already, with MixItUpGate and VoodooBoysCulturalAppropriationGate.

So far at least the game's managed to piss off all the right people. On all sides.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The only people this will manage to piss off are those that actually prefer gameplay and role playing in their "RPGs."

Smoothbrains and midwits will eat it up, for different reasons. Overall, Soybercuck will be a milquetoast disaster.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why are you talking so much about Gibson ITT?
Because CDPR are, ahem, taking so much inspiration from Gibson it becomes blatant stealing.

There was a whole generation of writers that did this stuff and yet dumbfucks like you ascribe all those cyberpunks elements and aesthetics to just one guy. How about no
The kind of cyberpunk this game draws from IS the product of just one guy. Hackers, megacorps, shades and neon lights in the rainy night is Gibson.

What's unfortunate is 98% of people think that's the only kind of cyberpunk or the only "real" cyberpunk (i.e. the rage around Night City being a sunny, beachy place), while in reality Gibson's 1980s cyberpunk is not the only one, not the real one and not even the most interesting one, not even close.

Prime Junta

The only people this will manage to piss off are those that actually prefer gameplay and role playing in their "RPGs."

Smoothbrains and midwits will eat it up, for different reasons. Overall, Soybercuck will be a milquetoast disaster.

Hey Jenkem, what’s your favorite game? I wanna try it out and see if I like it. I’ll tell you what I think after.

Yosharian

Arcane
There are no truly original ideas, in literature or anywhere else - everything is inspired by something. The most you can do is take what inspires you and try to create something new out of it. But everything that's ever created will always owe a debt of inspiration to something that came before it.

To think otherwise is either ignorant or arrogant beyond belief.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Why are you talking so much about Gibson ITT?
Because CDPR are, ahem, taking so much inspiration from Gibson it becomes blatant stealing.

There was a whole generation of writers that did this stuff and yet dumbfucks like you ascribe all those cyberpunks elements and aesthetics to just one guy. How about no
The kind of cyberpunk this game draws from IS the product of just one guy. Hackers, megacorps, shades and neon lights in the rainy night is Gibson.

Sorry, but that's just wrong

It's Brunner's Shockwave Rider married to film noir. Shirley was doing it in 85 with Eclipse, pretty much the same as Neuromancer with some slight differences, Williams was doing the corporates in 86 with Hardwired, all novels that started before Neuromancer came out.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
^
Do you also read tea leaves? Asking for a friend.
Just a small observation, causing so much butthurt. :lol: The list of pseudo-DX12 titles is longer than you think, chill your anus, I'm just stating the obvious.

Your new shiny RTX 3080 will suffer in CP2077 as much as it does now in a fucking Fortnite maxed out.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Why are you talking so much about Gibson ITT? According to his own words, Mike has been influenced by Walter Jon Williams' Hardwired. The author even helped to playtest CP back in the day.
Because he's one of most famous Cyberpunk authors. And Cyberpunk 2077 is about cyberpunk.

Of course Cyberpunk and Steampunk are outdated genres, as are SF works of Lem, and early works of Strugackys.

Prime Junta

It's Brunner's Shockwave Rider married to film noir. Shirley was doing it in 85 with Eclipse, pretty much the same as Neuromancer with some slight differences, Williams was doing the corporates in 86 with Hardwired, all novels that started before Neuromancer came out.

Gotta nitpick, Neuromancer was in 1984, Eclipse in 85, Hardwired in 86. It was a literary movement, it didn't just happen with these writers independently coming up with similar ideas in a complete vacuum. I find it especially hard to believe that Hardwired at least wasn't influenced by Neuromancer, even if he started it before '84. Gibson's Johnny Mnemonic was from 1981. Blade Runner (1982) already had the core tropes and aesthetic down.

I think everybody's talking about Neuromancer simply because it's kind of like the LotR of the sub-genre -- best known, most popular, most influential.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Gotta nitpick, Neuromancer was in 1984, Eclipse in 85, Hardwired in 86. It was a literary movement, it didn't just happen with these writers independently coming up with similar ideas in a complete vacuum. I find it especially hard to believe that Hardwired at least wasn't influenced by Neuromancer, even if he started it before '84. Gibson's Johnny Mnemonic was from 1981. Blade Runner (1982) already had the core tropes and aesthetic down.

I think everybody's talking about Neuromancer simply because it's kind of like the LotR of the sub-genre -- best known, most popular, most influential.

I researched Williams back in the day, the novel was written much earlier but got published later due to various issues, he really was independent of the circles. Shirley and Gibson knew each other tangentially I think

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Again - the specific fusion of megacorps, punk hackers, neon lights, shades is Gibson and only Gibson. Before him some authors (Brunner, Rucker, Sterling, Ellison) used ingredients like computers or dystopias too, but they were cooking very different meals.

CP2020 is built on William's Hardwired which in turn draws heavily from Neuromancer.

EDIT:

I researched Williams back in the day, the novel was written much earlier but got published later due to various issues

Ok that would be interesting if you can link it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Again - the specific fusion of megacorps, punk hackers, neon lights, shades is Gibson and only Gibson. Before him some authors (Brunner, Rucker, Sterling, Ellison) used ingredients like computers or dystopias too, but they were cooking very different meals.

CP2020 is built on William's Hardwired which in turn draws heavily from Neuromancer.

Again, Hardwired was not influenced by Neuromancer, like at all

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
imagine being pissed off about it all.

Me, I'm just a normie that wants to play a cool beautiful sci-fi RPG with different characters, worlds and quests.

I didn't even know I was supposed to be this angry!

I'm glad I tuned into this thread, and discover that I was, indeed, WRONG about my opinions and outlook for this game.

Codex Year of the Donut
Me, I'm just a normie that wants to play a cool beautiful sci-fi RPG with different characters, worlds and quests.
This is one of the ugliest games I've seen in a long time from every screenshot/vid so far.
I don't mean ugly in a gritty kind of way, it just looks awful. Like they looked at brazil or san francisco and thought "yeah, let's make our game look like this"
A purposely ugly art product, like modern art or modern architecture.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why are you talking so much about Gibson ITT? According to his own words, Mike has been influenced by Walter Jon Williams' Hardwired. The author even helped to playtest CP back in the day.
Because he's one of most famous Cyberpunk authors. And Cyberpunk 2077 is about cyberpunk.
Yes, so war games are about war, and people should refer to Tolstoy by that logic.

Pondsmith read Gibson only after having designed the game, you know.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
There are no truly original ideas, in literature or anywhere else - everything is inspired by something. The most you can do is take what inspires you and try to create something new out of it. But everything that's ever created will always owe a debt of inspiration to something that came before it.

To think otherwise is either ignorant or arrogant beyond belief.

At least the creators could try to stand out and deal with some daring subjects. Instead we get flooded with a gaudy vomit of tropes, nudity and the depcition of societal depravity that bears no impact or provocation on us whatsoever in the year of the Clownlord 2020.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Even though I will check out 3060's (or better, a prospective 3050's) price, I'm sure as Hell not getting an RTX to play this or anything else.

If I want breathtaking visuals, I'll just get some nice movie on Bluray. These damn games are well influenced by cinema anyways (and modern cinema is already decline, just sayin').

Besides, what do you prefer: better visuals or better performance? All games from current gen run at 60 FPS for me (except garbage like Pathfinder).

Common themes in Cyberpunk mediums:

Accelerando:
It is the era of the posthuman. Artificial intelligences have surpassed the limits of human intellect. Biotechnological beings have rendered people all but extinct. Molecular nanotechnology runs rampant, replicating and reprogramming at will. Contact with extraterrestrial life grows more imminent with each new day.

Diaspora:
Since the Introdus in the 21st century, humanity has reconfigured itself drastically. Most chose immortality, joining the polises to become conscious software.Others opted for gleisners: Disposable, renewable robotic bodies that remain in contact with the physical world of force and friction. Many of these have left the Solar System forever in fusion drive starships.

Distraction:
It’s November 2044, an election year, and the state of the Union is a farce. The government is broke, the cities are privately owned, and the military is shaking down citizens in the streets. Washington has become a circus and no one knows that better than Oscar Valparaiso. A political spin doctor, Oscar has always made things look good. Now he wants to make a difference.

Eclipse:
Eclipse takes place in an alternate history where the Soviet Union never collapsed, and has invaded Western Europe but didn’t use its nukes. At least, not its big ones.Into the chaos steps the Second Alliance, a multinational corporation eager to impose its own kind of New World Order.

Ghost in the Shell:
Deep into the twenty-first century, the line between man and machine has been inexorably blurred as humans rely on the enhancement of mechanical implants and robots are upgraded with human tissue. In this rapidly converging landscape, cyborg superagent Major Motoko Kusanagi is charged with tracking down the craftiest and most dangerous terrorists and cybercriminals, including “ghost hackers” who are capable of exploiting the human/machine interface and reprogramming humans to become puppets to carry out the hackers’ criminal ends.

Neuromancer:
Case was the best console cowboy in the Matrix, at least until his ex-employer fried his nervous system, making it impossible for him to jack into the net. Now, he’s being offered a last-chance mission that will restore his loss at the cost of pitting him against a cruel and sentient artificial intelligence.

Now, Murica 2077:

HeLl YeAh MuLtIcuLtuRalism is sO CoOoOoOoOoOOOoOl !!! EMBRACE DIVERSITY !!! trans orgy, lesbians orgy, gay orgy, interracial orgy, gender transplant, drugs, John Wick, HeLl yEAh !!

See those Maelstrom skinheads there !? they killed an innocent kid !!! and they're all white and killed innocent children !!! see, WHITE = EVIL.

Que pasa mi negros !? we shall all forget our differences, unity and fight together against the EvIl CaPiTalists who's DesTroYinG our WoRld ! definitely not diversity fault that Murica have become a shithole !!!! gang, gang, gang, gang, gang, gang!!

If you're hyping this game, you are an idiot.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
It's just 'Ghost In The Shell', not 'The' Ghost In The Shell. At least get the name right if you want to be an edgy smartass about something

Also I dunno if it's at all appropriate to label Wintermute as 'cruel'

Last edited:
Yes, so war games are about war, and people should refer to Tolstoy by that logic.

Pondsmith read Gibson only after having designed the game, you know.

No, and aside from the associative failure there, “cyberpunk” and it’s common themes can be understood without having actually read books from the cyberpunk genre. Some thing gets associated despite illogic. Tolkien is a good example of this, where he was not the originator of a lot many modern fantasy themes yet shit still accredited to him anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom