Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
And like everything else, his responses are robotic and overanalyzed.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I haven't really played shooters since Unreal Tournament, but I really liked its Assault mode, and the fairly simple objectives it laid out on each map for attackers.

deuxhero

Arcane
Has it ever been mentioned if the lack of Roman salute among the Legion was a: animation limitations b: legal limitations for Germany ect. c: idiots unaware of the origin or d: the question on if it was actually historically correct or just a creation of later artists ?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Obsidian had to cripple slaves' legs for them to look like they are struggling with carrying backpacks, so i believe it was an animation limitation.

Codex Year of the Donut
Tbh I like the random encounters in Beth games, it's one of the fun things they do right. If anything, there should be way more scripted random encounters.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I never played Beth games so I have no input on that.

My point is that Josh appears the king of shifting blame, despite being the head honcho on a number of projects. Like here, it seems at first that he's giving a compliment, even a backhanded one, by not taking credit for encounter design by saying he and his team had no experience at all and it was all Jorge. At first only.

Then you look at the original question, and right there it shows that Bethesda had greater complexity in their random encounters while Obs. did not. When you take his response as a whole and especially pay attention to the final two sentences, it's not even a backhanded compliment. Rather, he shifts that part of creative design to an outsider, laying it all at this guy's feet. He even cites time constraints but doesn't point out who set those constraints in motion; i.e. he and Feargus. Like, he doesn't even offer a mea culpa of some sort by saying he had to set time limits to keep production on schedule, etc. because they were at risk of whatever.

Hell, it's not like they couldn't have released it as part of a DLC or a free upgrade, ala Underrail and Styg

Edit: He doesn't even say "Jorge had great ideas and concepts, but I had to limit them based on time, etc. ANd never had the opportunity to get back into play."

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Base game additions as DLC is a bad move. It's hard to sell it to people as anything but "we held back part of the original product to milk more money out of you". That's actually what Bethesda did with the Broken Steel DLC. Obsidian also had to lay off a bunch of people after they missed their Metacritic bonus, so they didn't have the resources to add new base game content.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Josh appears the king of shifting blame
What an absurd take. Josh always namedrops others and no, it isn't to "pass blame hidden as compliments".

Obsidian barely knew what they were doing in Bethesda's engine/editor when Jorge was hired, he did. Thus, he handled that field, and is the best person to ask lest words are put in his mouth. Though Josh does add that time constraints were a variable (as it was for everything else in the short development cycle) and part of the answer.

Hell, it's not like they couldn't have released it as part of a DLC or a free upgrade, ala Underrail and Styg
I don't think there was a huge demand for post-launch random encounters in New Vegas. In a 3D game with full voice acting, it's also a lot more expensive to add.
The only in-Mojave DLC they made has "Gun" and "Arsenal" in its title and is a much more lucrative sell, I think (and definitely has a lesser cost).

deuxhero

Arcane
I don't think there was a huge demand for post-launch random encounters in New Vegas. In a 3D game with full voice acting, it's also a lot more expensive to add.
The only in-Mojave DLC they made has "Gun" and "Arsenal" in its title and is a much more lucrative sell, I think (and definitely has a lesser cost).

GRA is at least how a weapon DLC should be done, minus the engine limit induced stupidity (needing special version of new weapon to apply new mods, not effecting other DLC). it added several unique weapons, all spread out across the world in a reasonable way. It patched holes in the base game's arsenal, and none of the weapons were cheats (though did lend themselves to some pretty powerful builds, like how handloader stacks with Grunt for over 1.5x power, making the All-American an awesome gun that's light, fast, accurate and uses cheap ammo).

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Listen, I'm paying attention to this thread now and all I'm gonna do is shit on the guy because I can't stand him. The fucker just rubs me the wrong way, so fuck him. And while Styg has been going back and rebalancing underrail, he's also been adding to it so it. Plus his rebalancing doesn't bug me.

Meanwhile Sawyer just irks the fuck out of me with his bikes, hipsterism, teetotaler drunken status, fake cool with meaningful tattoos faggot shit.

Holy shit bro calm down. Live and let live. He's doing no harm. Save that hate for those that deserve it. People like you are more of a problem than people like him. Perhaps there's some context I'm missing, but I'm reading:

"He likes bikes and other stuff I don't approve of. GET THAT DEGENERATE!".

Fuck off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom