Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda acquired by Microsoft

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Microsoft

Bethesda Softworks, the developer of many RPG Codex favourites, such as the Fallout series, Doom and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, has been bought out by Microsoft. To quote:

Welcoming the Talented Teams and Beloved Game Franchises of Bethesda to Xbox

Critically acclaimed creators of The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Wolfenstein, DOOM, Dishonored, Quake, Starfield and more join Team Xbox

Today is a special day, as we welcome some of the most accomplished studios in the games industry to Xbox. We are thrilled to announce Microsoft has entered into an agreement to acquire ZeniMax Media, parent company of Bethesda Softworks.

(...)

Like us, Bethesda are passionate believers in building a diverse array of creative experiences, in exploring new game franchises, and in telling stories in bold ways. All of their great work will of course continue and grow and we look forward to empowering them with the resources and support of Microsoft to scale their creative visions to more players in new ways for you.

All of our work, and the foundation of our relationship with you, starts with a commitment to deliver a breadth of amazing games to discover and play on Xbox. Over the last few weeks, we’ve been excited to share more detail on important elements of a plan we’ve been building towards for years. A plan that is the fulfilment of a promise, to you the Xbox player, to deliver the most performant, immersive and compatible next-generation gaming experiences, and the freedom to play blockbuster games with your friends, anytime, anywhere. Today is a landmark step in our journey together and I’m incredibly energized by what this step means for Xbox.

Please join me in welcoming all of our friends at Bethesda to Team Xbox.​

I, for one, welcome Bethesda's new corporate overlords. Certainly enough, an increasingly-nervous Pete Hines seems just as positive about it as anyone would be:

WHY MICROSOFT IS THE PERFECT FIT
Today we announced we’re joining the Microsoft family...

When you work at a place as long as I’ve worked at Bethesda – just a month short of 21 years – you see some things. Chief amongst them is change. When I started, Bethesda was not much more than a handful of people. The team working on Morrowind fit in a couple of offices, and there were probably six or seven of us spread across everything else.

Bethesda Softworks, our parent company ZeniMax Media, and our many internal studios, now employ thousands of talented people working in publishing offices and development studios around the world. We’ve gone from one internal studio to many; from a focus on single-player fantasy RPGS to developing massive MMOs, first person shooters, and everything in between. The world, our industry, and our company has changed a lot in the 34 years since Bethesda Softworks was first founded. Today, it changed again. And I know that brings up questions.

But the key point is we’re still Bethesda. We’re still working on the same games we were yesterday, made by the same studios we’ve worked with for years, and those games will be published by us.

So why the change? Because it allows us to make even better games going forward. Microsoft is an incredible partner and offers access to resources that will make us a better publisher and developer. We believe that means better games for you to play. Simply put - we believe that change is an important part of getting better. We believe in pushing ourselves to be better. To innovate. To grow.​

I am very excited to look forward to even better games from Bethesda, and I'm sure everyone on this site can say the same. In fact, I can't wait for the three-way collaboration (you could say, a troika) between Bethesda, Inxile and Obsidian, which will bring us the ultimate RPG to ever grace this sinful middle earth.

jaydee2k

Savant
Oh my wtf is happening. Doom Quake Fallout.
tenor.gif

DeepOcean

Arcane
For us, this wont change much, Microsoft isnt any less woke than Bethesda and Bethesda games will remain as popamole as ever. Maybe with Microsoft money, their games are less buggy but even there isnt a given.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Microsoft is pretty much a liquidator when it comes to software companies. (See nokia, rare, etc.)

They are doing a great service to us all by putting that disgusting company out of it's misery and distributing it's viscera to the four corners of the earth so it may never be reanimated

cpmartins

Cipher
For us, this wont change much, Microsoft isnt any less woke than Bethesda and Bethesda games will remain as popamole as ever. Maybe with Microsoft money, their games are less buggy but even there isnt a given.

Implying they'll ditch gamebryo, ever. That engine is the appendix that will kill bethesda.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom