Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda acquired by Microsoft

cpmartins

Cipher
Methinks hardcore rpg gamers with a Sony inclination won't be too happy about this move.

They said the games are not gonna be Xbox/PC exclusive.

Really? What's the point then? Exclusives are what consoletards use when masturbating to their idiotboxes.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Critically acclaimed creators of The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Wolfenstein, DOOM, Dishonored, Quake

...errr no

That's a bit like a "performance artist" saying he's the creator of the Brooklyn Bridge because he took a shit on it and created an "art piece".

As the great Librul Prophet once said:

kangaxx

Arbiter
Interesting move in the console war. I always felt the exclusives were weighted in Sony's favour, but I suppose this forces the console people to make something approaching an actual choice.

j7YmmQr.jpg

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Methinks hardcore rpg gamers with a Sony inclination won't be too happy about this move.

They said the games are not gonna be Xbox/PC exclusive.
They don't need them to be exclusive when they can put them on the Xbox game pass for 1 dollar a month.

Are you going to buy a play station when you will be expected to spend hundreds of more dollars on video games or will you simply buy an Xbox which has all the games you could ever want from Microsoft owned studio available for a negligible subscription cost?

With this as a main selling point Sony is going to get absolutely destroyed come next gen release.

Whipped Cream

Savant
Patron
2nKT.gif

Pretty huge news. There have been rumors around for years that Zenimax owners wanted to sell, and Microsoft is really the only gaming company that was in a position where they could buy them without breaking a sweat, so I guess this makes sense.

As long as their games still release on Steam the same day that they release on Xbox I don't think this will matter all that much to PC gamers. The leadership of Zenimax were terrible. Microsoft is at worst equally bad and arguably an improvement. Sony and Playstation players should be in panic mode though. Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6 and a host of other games just became console exclusives.

Also: I guess this means that Obsidian might get to make another Fallout game after all.

Turuko

Learned
Interesting move in the console war. I always felt the exclusives were weighted in Sony's favour, but I suppose this forces the console people to make something approaching an actual choice.
the funniest shit is that MS is gonna "publish" two timed exclusive only on PS5 :lol:

now

iwe don't know when either deal happened, but considering the scope of this news my headcanon is that Bethesda hustled Sony already knowing the wheels were in motion for the acquisition :lol:

DeepOcean

Arcane
For us, this wont change much, Microsoft isnt any less woke than Bethesda and Bethesda games will remain as popamole as ever. Maybe with Microsoft money, their games are less buggy but even there isnt a given.

Implying they'll ditch gamebryo, ever. That engine is the appendix that will kill bethesda.
I know that Gamebryo is shit but their games are shitty more because of choice than actually the shitty engine, I doubt that changing the engine will fix their god awful writing, popamole rpg systems, terrible world building and quest design.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Sony and Playstation players should be in panic mode though. Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6 and a host of other games just became console exclusives.

I know the codex opinion is only a minority opinion, but Bethseda games are absolute hot garbage on console because they need mods to fix various bugs and... well, make the game actually interesting. Still, exclusivity is shitty.

Sin2x

Scholar
I know that Gamebryo is shit but their games are shitty more because of choice than actually the shitty engine, I doubt that changing the engine will fix their god awful writing, popamole rpg systems, terrible world building and quest design.

30,000,000 copies of Skyrim sold.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm not optimistic at all, Bethesda fan base continues the same, selling them garbage will continue to work so Bethesda will keep making garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom