Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda acquired by Microsoft

DeepOcean

Arcane
aimvo4zadio51.jpg

Lets hope not. It will be shitty ideology driven akin to outer worlds, they will make the legion progressive with wombyn legatus and equal rights and shit.
Yeah, the only reason New Vegas was good was because it was based on the old Van Buren design document and before Obsidian completing the cuckfication process. I cannot see a situation where the danger hairs in there will allow any triggering idea. I have zero faith on Obsidian. Actually, despite Bethesda being incompetent at anything they do, they at least fail for honest reasons, they cant do shit well even if they wanted, what Obsidian did with Outer Worlds was purposeful incompetence what is even worse.

The good side of this is the possibility of, one day, Microsoft decides going full EA like they did before, Obsidian current state makes me feel pitiful, wanting a merciful death like an old friend of yours that became a twitter zombie.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fair enough. I meant more in the sense that said conglomerate, among its myriad business ventures, will sport a wing entirely dedicated to Western CRPGs – which is already happening in all but name.

Then again, I doubt CDPR and EA will go down without a fight. Now, Larian, on the other hand…
Did you know that Amazon has a game development branch? Yeap. It's developing an MMO, though. Bad move if you ask me.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
No game company has ever lasted through time more than a decade or two, if you think about. Either they die out or become too big to have anything to do with their origins. If anything game companies are discardable assets, and they become a kind of progressive dissapointment for "fans" (those that identify to brands and such, the "good buyers"). Of course I'm not sure if the short lifespan of companies isn't something that applies to any kind of company since the last 3 or 4 decades. Similarly, no product made under capitalism is meant to last, otherwise profit isn't possible ; no doubt that this means something for the circulation of entreprises as well. There's your social commentary, I guess, except that it's not in the games, it's outside them.

Thal

Augur
Not joking, my windows bluescreened when I tried to open the link, where Pete tries to explain this shit away.

I hate Bethesda. But I also hate oligopoly and big companies buying out smaller companies is always bad for everyone with the exception of both companies CEOs. I want Microsoft to burn.

In America this has been the trend for a good time already, and it probably has reached its peak in this year.

It will reach it's peak when there are only oligopolies left and smaller companies won't be needed anymore to keep the facade of free system, so they will be ridiculed. Now they act as a shield for procorporate agenda.

They're paying 7,5 billion for that pile of shit, aaahahaha, that's even more hilarious than Disney falling for Lucas' 5 billion scam.

You don't understand. It doesn't matter if the investment will pay out. Blocking other corporations from buying properties that may give them market advantage/ stopping new corporations from growing is what counts the most.

ADL

Prophet
Well, maybe Elder Scrolls Online will finally upgrade their God-awfully slow servers.

And why do you care about ESO servers?

:updatedmytxt:
Because TESO is the best thing to happen to that series since Daggerfall and Morrowind by miles. Their handling of the lore is excellent.
tW9QzmEoHb9pX3sUEin_sXdt1zRjR4Vd80_vTqpN6L0.png

All I can say is Wasteland 3 turned out well despite inXile being MS-owned. At the very least, they don't *seem* to interfere with the creative process.

I know a handful of people at Microsoft owned studios and they all say they're extremely hands off and I'm not surprised. Not only are they hands off, they're able to make weird experimental games because of the GamePass model that otherwise wouldn't be commercially viable.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Thanks to new economies of scale, they can all wear Daedric Armor! It's amazing to think how well-to-do all the founders of these once-small RPG studios now are. If only Troika had managed to hold out.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

Lets hope not. It will be shitty ideology driven akin to outer worlds, they will make the legion progressive with wombyn legatus and equal rights and shit.
Yeah, the only reason New Vegas was good was because it was based on the old Van Buren design document and before Obsidian completing the cuckfication process. I cannot see a situation where the danger hairs in there will allow any triggering idea. I have zero faith on Obsidian. Actually, despite Bethesda being incompetent at anything they do, they at least fail for honest reasons, they cant do shit well even if they wanted, what Obsidian did with Outer Worlds was purposeful incompetence what is even worse.

The good side of this is the possibility of, one day, Microsoft decides going full EA like they did before, Obsidian current state makes me feel pitiful, wanting a merciful death like an old friend of yours that became a twitter zombie.

I liked Deadfire.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

I liked Deadfire.

I like both Pillars of Eternity and the entire setting. Please don't hate me.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Ah, Sawyer, you sly dog, now I know what you've been doing all along. You weren't "shattered" by the commercial failure of your latest product. You've been spending these months preparing for a new Fallout game. Good lad.

Now go and develop my Fallout game set in Mexico, or Latin America in general.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I like both Pillars of Eternity and the entire setting. Please don't hate me.
I dont hate people with bad taste, so dont worry, what I hate are people who stop artistic expression because of mah feelings or worse, the feelings of others because they are afraid of making internet psychos feeling bad. Cowards only deserve a shallow grave.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I remember now, when Microsoft bought Obsidian I asked Infinitron: "Does it mean that Microsoft replace Obsidain in developers subforum?" (or something like that, I don't remember exactly, it's was long ago)
So now I shall same question for Bethesda sub-forum, even better, put up a question about both forums since Obsidian still under Microsoft.
So will be these forums archived and replaced by Microsoft? Infinitron Or will these forums remain as memory while studious themselves will be but a shell of themselves? (I mean they started to rot before Microsoft bought them, but there a little sense to keep these separate forums)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The subforums are for development studios, not publishers. We don't talk about Doom or Dishonored in the Bethesda subforum either.

I remember now, when Microsoft bought Obsidian I asked Infinitron: "Does it mean that Microsoft replace Obsidain in developers subforum?" (or something like that, I don't remember exactly, it's was long ago)
So now I shall same question for Bethesda sub-forum, even better, put up a question about both forums since Obsidian still under Microsoft.
So will be these forums archived and replaced by Microsoft? Infinitron Or will these forums remain as memory while studious themselves will be but a shell of themselves? (I mean they started to rot before Microsoft bought them, but there a little sense to keep these separate forums)
In time the entire General RPG forum will be about Microsoft's games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom