Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda acquired by Microsoft

DeepOcean

Arcane
No game company has ever lasted through time more than a decade or two, if you think about.

Founded: November 1, 1986; 33 years ago

Praise the sun! \\ o //
I would add Atlus to the list too, April 1986, unfortunately they sold to Sega on 2013. I think why japanese companies survive so long while western ones keep failing/being sold out is because the japanese dont have this mercenary attitude of making the quickest buck as fast as possible while the Ponzi Scheme is hot that many western companies have. You see all the time, guy makes company, company makes games, company is highly valued, sells the company and retire billionaire while his ex company goes down in flames managed by middle managers from huge corporations that are completely disconnected from the fans of said company games.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
There is one giant benefit to this whole situation of Microsoft buying out studios:
1. They'll have real budgets, instead of having to scrape for every dollar.
2. They'll have a boss who'll keep them in check and, you know, actually working on something (how's that Daggerfall spiritual successor?).
3. The studios themselves will be somewhat more shielded from the Twitter mob (Daddy Microsoft can tell them to shut the fuck up, not comment, and keep working).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
aimvo4zadio51.jpg

Written by the team that made The Outer Worlds...

So what gaming company/games does Zenimax own now? They have the Elder Scrolls online thing right?

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Obsidian becoming team B was likely the reason they shat out that kiddie survival game already, but Fargo is probably on suicide watch since they aren't even a second line dev now. With all those companies acquired the road to ultimate soylent green mass produced RPGs is wide open. Prepare for a long line of lackluster FPPs like The Outer Worlds.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Avowed cancellation imminent? Why bother funding a generic-looking TES-killer when you have TES? Chris "I get to make Skyrim!" Parker's dreams getting dashed would be a bonus.

Heinrich

Scholar
No game company has ever lasted through time more than a decade or two, if you think about. Either they die out or become too big to have anything to do with their origins. If anything game companies are discardable assets, and they become a kind of progressive dissapointment for "fans" (those that identify to brands and such, the "good buyers"). Of course I'm not sure if the short lifespan of companies isn't something that applies to any kind of company since the last 3 or 4 decades. Similarly, no product made under capitalism is meant to last, otherwise profit isn't possible ; no doubt that this means something for the circulation of entreprises as well. There's your social commentary, I guess, except that it's not in the games, it's outside them.

founded in 1996

:swen:

DeepOcean

Arcane
All I can say is Wasteland 3 turned out well despite inXile being MS-owned. At the very least, they don't *seem* to interfere with the creative process.
The funny thing is that inXile games are very apolitical or at least have innofensive boomer librul ideas in there, could be because Fargo is a mature boomer and not a boomer wanting so hard to be a millenium like my old deseased friend Tim Cain? I mean, Fargo is a conman, a professional one, but at least we can expect him to love money more than some crazy ideology. The idea of a Fallout New Vegas with Fargo being the producer wouldnt be so bad, after all, Wasteland 3 is decent. Yeah, Im so disillusioned about this whole thing that I trust more on the man that made NumaNuma than Obsidian.

AndrewCC

Educated
why is this in rpg news?

oh wait, it's no longer "rpg news and content", just "news and content"?

next, rename the site to "codex.net"
As much as some old grognards will resent it, Fallout games are still RPGs, and Obsidian and Inxile having access to the Fallout IP to make games (turnbased maybe? Fallout Tactics 2) is definitely RPG news.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In the Microsoft head office

MS Boss: Welcome gentlemen. Have a seat. Alright good, let us begin. You might wonder why we brought you here today ?

Obsidian: Yes sir.

Bethesda: ...

MS Boss: Well, we want to finance the making of Fallout: New Vegas 2, and we know you both have experience and a will, let us even say passion to continue the franchise. But as we can see it, only ONE studio can make it.

The MS Boss opens a drawer on the desk in front of him and takes out two combat knives

MS Boss: It's like this my dear friends. As you might have noticed we are filthy rich and it gives us great pleasure doing decadent things like these... See, we bought both of you just to see you fight over the Fallout licence. The winner will of course get the rights to continue the license - in other words making the New Vegas sequel. The loser, will forever be known as the b-team, perhaps even the c-team since inXile actually came through with Wasteland 3 for us. This is your chance my dear friends. I will leave these knives on the table here and it's up to you to decide what you want to become.

The MS Boss slowly rises up from the chair with a noticeable grin on his face and leaves the room. Obsidian and Bethesda both in shock look at each other, then their eyes slowly pan over to the desk - to the knives. Suddenly Obsidian makes a grab for the knife most close and Bethesda not wanting to become number two under Obsidian does the same...

To be continued...

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I hope that their first step will be to fucking assimilate Emil Pagliarulo, and make Obsidian responsible for the future Fallout franchise.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Avowed cancellation imminent? Why bother funding a generic-looking TES-killer when you have TES? Chris "I get to make Skyrim!" Parker's dreams getting dashed would be a bonus.

Doubt it gets cancelled, but it would be funny if they go "Fuck it, let's make it in Gamebryo" now. :P It's probably too late though.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I once suggested this as a joke after Obsidian was bought up...happened a lot faster than I thought.

:smug:

Seems like all the chips are in place for Obsidian to get back to working on Fallout.....

DeepOcean

Arcane

Doubt it gets cancelled, but it would be funny if they go "Fuck it, let's make it in Gamebryo" now. :P It's probably too late though.
It would be funny watching vamphyrs falling from the sky.

Azdul

Magister
imagine being a bethesda fan and preordering ps5 for starfield and ESVI
Then you have only yourself to blame. Morrowind was released on Xbox - not PS2, Oblivion was released on PS3 two years after Xbox 360, Skyrim was completely broken on PS3, Todd publicly criticized Sony for stupid restrictions on mods - even slow minded people should get a message by now.

New Xbox was always going to be lead platform for ES VI, with PC Microsoft © Windows™ and other versions as an afterthought.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom