Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda acquired by Microsoft

prengle

Savant
this deal has some absolutely fucking heinous implications that i don't feel like sperging over right now - but i will say this isn't actually completely unexpected, considering that:
  1. zenimax has been buddy-buddy with microsoft for almost 2 decades... i always said morrowind selling like hotcakes on the xboxhueg was what cemented their downfall
  2. zenimax has been wanting to go public for years apparently (i think they wanted providence equity firm to buy their asses out but that never happened). robert trump croaked a few months ago and he was suposedly the biggest advocate (which consists of decrepit jewish bankers and execs who have been fuckbuddies for ages - no they don't know what a "videogame" is) for keeping the company private. now that he's out of the picture and les moonves is lying low following his rapey stint at cbs, i'm guessing this along with some other shit gave bob altman the motivation to finally sell off the company and technically go public. i'm not sure what microshit is getting out of this other than dozens of hypothetical Windows 10™ UWP™ and Sexbox™ Exclusives™ tho. i'm surprised they just flat out bought the entire fucking company
  3. both corporations seem to have been established and controlled by malevolent eldritch beings hellbent on controlling the human race
what i'm wondering right now is how exactly zenimax will be absorbed into microsoft - is bob altman going to be one of the higher ups at xbox game studios in a year from now? what about the rest of the zenimax board? is microsoft going to be the megacorp that forces paid mods onto the masses? agiroegmk59@$@$@4;;;;;;;;;;;; penis

Except Oculus is in direct competition with Hololense. That'd be like working with your competitor.
I don't think Zuck will like that very much. carmack JUMP SHIP run! RUN! GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN! lol

carmack already has a history of casually working with monstrously evil companies and not caring because he's carmack and he's a fucking android. his reaction to this entire thing simply being "great! zenimax can't send cia agents to my house anymore!" is amazing tho

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have a feeling InXile just became a whole lot less important to Microsoft. In the eyes of the marketing suits you'd think it was bought to cater RPG niche for the gamepass and now they have Bethesda. If Fargo's company bleeds money I doubt they'll bother keeping it alive.

It won't matter. The sub companies aren't to make money, they are there to provide content for Game Pass. The Microsoft strategy is not to sell the games themselves as much as to sell the subscription. They don't have to be great games for the main, just the kinds of games that are good value filler and which run on a variety of devices. Any company will only be merged or dissolved if they don't reach a minimum standard or even more importantly, a production deadline for content. With this in mind, any company is just as at risk as another.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
what about the rest of the zenimax board?
Altman - likely cashed out
Bruckheimer - likely cashed out
Les Moonves - I would say abandoned his shares/sold them to altman when he went into Exile or he's cashed out and the IRS will be knocking
Robert Trump - dead
the rest - no one cares and they barely did anything anyway
Providence Equity Group - likely are the reason the sale happened. Rumour last year was they were shopping for a buyer its turned out completely true. Cashed out OR transferred into Microsoft shareholders.

Nas92

Augur
Huge news for sure, but honestly, is anything's really gonna change? ZeniMax was cancerous af already, it can't really get too much worse after FO76 and all the shitty mobile and card games. Actually maybe this will finally mean that Starfield and TESVI gets out of development hell.

The only thing that may be a cause for concern is what'll happen to the Bethesda-owned titles still on GOG?

Glop_dweller

Prophet
So... Elderscrolls 6 could come with a Genie companion, named Courtesanna.

TES%206%20copy.jpg

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Les Moonves - I would say abandoned his shares/sold them to altman when he went into Exile or he's cashed out and the IRS will be knocking
Robert Trump - dead
Providence Equity Group - likely are the reason the sale happened. Rumour last year was they were shopping for a buyer its turned out completely true. Cashed out OR transferred into Microsoft shareholders.

Les Moonves is getting #metoo'd right now, and in the non-meme way.

V_K

Arcane
No game company has ever lasted through time more than a decade or two, if you think about.
Valve doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon. Although who knows.
Similarly, Infogrames (founded 1983) is still technically in business although not in the business of game development.
But the purest example is probably Jeff Vogel who's been around since 1994 and I'll eat my hat if someone bothers to buy him out.

prengle

Savant
Robert Trump - dead
the thought that robert and lynda are likely worth billions now thanks to this deal haunts me. i will now take a piss and continue to pray that both of them conveniently die in a robert maxwell-esque yacht accident

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Now, Microsoft, please buy Ice-Pick Lodge and give them a budget, for God's sake. Those poor chaps are considering setting up a Patreon to fund their games.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I mean there is no way Bethesda are going to get worse by this purchase. The only way to go is up right?

A lot of decent games "by Bethesda" are just published by them and are made by other studios anyway (Arkane, idsoftware, etc). After FO4 we only have the flop that is FO76 (which arguably recover). Microsoft will probably beat some discipline into Bethesda or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom