Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zer0wing

Cipher
If Witcher 3 is an RPG, then odyssey is an RPG. It's basically the same game from a mechanics perspective.
Not as forgettable and unimpressive despite the software engineering wank-wankery as Ass Creed that's for sure.

Prime Junta

Nothing, I personally just forgot about Origins and Oddysey's existance for a minute. I'd love to see you defend AC:O too, tho.

I had a blast with AC:Origins. Calling it a RPG is a bit of a stretch though. Odyssey is the same, except with marginally better brawling and none of it is the least bit interesting.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
[, “cyberpunk” and it’s common themes can be understood without having actually read books from the cyberpunk genre. Some thing gets associated despite illogic. Tolkien is a good example of this, where he was not the originator of a lot many modern fantasy themes yet shit still accredited to him anyway.

Yes and this is the cyberpunk 2077, not 'a' cyberpunk. and CP2077 is indeed based on CP2020 and CP2013, which are of course influenced by Hardwired and Williams. (And Blade Runner, which in turn was influenced by Mobius etc etc)

When it comes either genre, fantasy or cyberpunk, discerning codexers should know better what to attribute to whom regarding any given piece of trope, game, film or book.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Interesting that you brought that up, because the "Postcards from Night City" trailer gives off a distinctly Moebius vibe.
I think I first encountered that piece of information in this little book:

41osnEVayIL.jpg

And the comic in question is 'the Long Tomorrow'

OC-The-Long-Tomorrow-1.png

JDR13

Arcane
Nothing, I personally just forgot about Origins and Oddysey's existance for a minute. I'd love to see you defend AC:O too, tho.

I had a blast with AC:Origins. Calling it a RPG is a bit of a stretch though. Odyssey is the same, except with marginally better brawling and none of it is the least bit interesting.

I wasn't impressed by either in the short amount of time I've spent with them. What was it you liked so much about Origins? Was it the setting?

The Real Fanboy
I think what we're seeing ITT from some folks shows how important "narrative buy-in" can be. CP2077 is clearly a more full RPG than the Witcher games, but people are just intensely suspicious of it because it's a new thing. They don't know who V is, they're not invested in his story or his world. They don't know if they like its style and its vibe.

Zoomers, man. They just don't grok Cyberpunk, perhaps because the world we live in is uncannily similar to the world in it.

What they see as "SJW agenda" or "multicult" or whatever are just core tropes in it. Cyberpunk was a reaction against the escapist square-jawed-space-marines-and-spaceships-and-galactic-empires-oh-my type sci fi that the genre was largely identified with before then. It was about technology on and under the skin, how that molds society and people, the logical outcomes of runaway capitalism, consumerism, and ecological destruction, mass migration, displacement, anomie. I was in early teens Neuromancer was published. I was already a giant sci-fi nerd, knew my Asimovs and Heinleins and Clarkes and Lems and Zeleznys, and man was it a revelation, the whole genre blown up and put together in a new and radical configuration. You had to be there, man.

(The pre-emptive whining about gameplay is just that, pre-emptive. Maybe it'll be shit, maybe it won't, but at least there will be more variety to it than swish-swish-sign. Liking RPGs was always frowned upon here anyway, even if it's gotten to rather ridiculous extremes lately.)
Also (sorry to like quote reply you immediately again) but Rain on Me by Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande came out this year sis everyone likes cyberpunk

cpmartins

Cipher
Since the "animals for blacks is racist" controversy, this game is becoming more and more light toned and politically correct.

It is? Perhaps I haven't noticed, but I don't think they backed down from "animals for blacks"...

Yeah, as far as I know the Animals are still the same thing. Unless they changed something very recently that I'm not aware of.

It is? Perhaps I haven't noticed, but I don't think they backed down from "animals for blacks"...

Yeah, as far as I know the Animals are still the same thing. Unless they changed something very recently that I'm not aware of.

Didn't change but these new trailers are way less dark toned and serious than previously trailers, back in 2019. I guess they can't portray multiculturalism too harshly or might become too controversial.

Also (sorry to like quote reply you immediately again) but Rain on Me by Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande came out this year sis everyone likes cyberpunk

Diversity at its finest, literally sounds like any other pop music made nowadays, low effort generic trash.

The West is fucked up.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
cvv Prime Junta

So it turns out I was both right and wrong. Asked the man himself. He sold the book six months before Neuromancer was published, but finished writing after Neuromancer came out. But he did read Gibson's short stories before writing Hardwired and those may have had an influence on Hardwired, and if you read the Burning Chrome collection, some of them really feel like a template for Neuromancer in certain regards, especially Johnny Mnemonic and Burning Chrome.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Me, I'm just a normie that wants to play a cool beautiful sci-fi RPG with different characters, worlds and quests.
This is one of the ugliest games I've seen in a long time from every screenshot/vid so far.
I don't mean ugly in a gritty kind of way, it just looks awful. Like they looked at brazil or san francisco and thought "yeah, let's make our game look like this"
A purposely ugly art product, like modern art or modern architecture.
Hey, dont talk shit of Brazil, there are beautiful places here, if they took inspiration on Brazil, it must be Rio de Janeiro, that shithole is the brazillian San Francisco, overwhelming leftist smugness included, the major differences is that San Francisco has more hobo poop on the streets and on Rio there are some ak-47 firework shows sometimes.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
HeLl YeAh MuLtIcuLtuRalism is sO CoOoOoOoOoOOOoOl !!! EMBRACE DIVERSITY !!! trans orgy, lesbians orgy, gay orgy, interracial orgy, gender transplant, drugs, John Wick, HeLl yEAh !!
It's like a caricature of what an Evil Corporation would do if they were in charge, felt threatened by the criticism of rampant uncontrolled capital the genre provided and instead decided to co-opt and retool it into a "feel-good" celebration of Clown world and Corporatocracy that gets left-wing activists off their back and diverts them into chanting meaningless corporate-approved slogans instead.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom