Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda acquired by Microsoft

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fucking Bethesda doing this move just to get us to stop talking about Baldur's Gate 3! It won't work, Bethesda, we see your motives!

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
So why is Microsoft even funding Obsidian's Skyrim clone, if they were planning on buying the real thing anyway?

Only thing I can think is that this was a late breaking deal, and they had already begun & were well into Obsidian's game. Cause, yeah, it'd be really stupid to pump out a Skyrim clone when you got the makers of.

Honestly - I'm fine with this. I dgaf about Elder Scrolls, but I think this will be good for Fallout (or at least it won't be worse) Bethesda interviews always made it sound like they were pissy about the fact that New Vegas was a better game then theirs, and I always got the feeling that they wouldn't go for any other devs on THEIR BABY. But now, surely there is a chance for a New Vegas 2, and maybe maybe in a dream some isometric Fallout spinoffs.

Was Wasteland 3 a success? Maybe they'll see the money in extending the franchise that way due to development costs, etc. OBV not as a mainline title.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
cYEQvQ3DfbPdGE3dRbjOEsE1ZQiu_X2to5CNspnwfvU.png

Turuko

Learned
So why is Microsoft even funding Obsidian's Skyrim clone, if they were planning on buying the real thing anyway?
Sony making countless 3rd person walking adventures
MS making countless FPS in all the settings you can imagine

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Eid5hvJWkAAA_Ca

Real Jeb Bush moment right there. I especially love how Borderlands is there despite Gearbox not being owned by them LOL

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
As gamers, this is a big win. When Microsoft builds Gambryo into Windows 10, we'll have the last OS and game engine we'll ever need!

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
As much as some old grognards will resent it, Fallout games are still RPGs, and Obsidian and Inxile having access to the Fallout IP to make games (turnbased maybe? Fallout Tactics 2) is definitely RPG news.
obsidied or ineptile making a fallout worth playing?

:nocountryforshitposters:

you kids and your youthful optimism

i find it disgusting, hope it works for you

I must have gotten a cursed genie: I want more games based on creative classics, I get Deadly Premonition 2. I want GOG to get ports of famous 8 and 16 bit games, and I get Super 3D Noah's Ark. I want someone else to take over for Bethesda, and I get an even worse company. I want a great-looking return to classic Star Wars and Wing Commander, and Electronic Arts controls it. I want a compilation of 3D Mario games, and it is only available for a short time and my favorite Galaxy 2 is not there. I want a year with no David Cage movies pretending to be games, and get a year with virtually no games or movies. I want extremists like the Nazis on this site to die, and the creator of Turning Point dies from a virus that has killed hundreds of thousands of innocent men.

I guess the genie was not an entirely an asshole because I got recent fan translations of the Metal Max, Puyo Puyo and Ganbare Goemon games, and Legend and a good P.C. port of Grandia 2 came to GOG but I still hate him and hope he never touches Konami.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
we7rLJd.png

Bethesda Softworks was established as a developer of sports games for the Commodore Amiga, turned into an RPG developer with the release of The Elder Scrolls: Arena (initially conceived as a fantasy sports game) in 1994, and found tremendous commercial success following the release of TES III: Morrowind in 2002, although this was enabled only by an infusion of money from new ownership and later resulted in the pursuit of broader popular appeal at the expense of the quality of their games.

QK9KTim.png

RIP, Bethesda Softworks, 1986-2020

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
I, for one, welcome Bethesda's new corporate overlords. Certainly enough, an increasingly-nervous Pete Hines seems just as positive about it as anyone would be

Everyone now is talking about NV2 and whatever remake/sequel might be a reality but I would encourage everyone to think what this means for the future.

I still see people (even here) getting hyped and being ok/meh with Game Pass but think a little bit ahead... I am working in the software industry for years. Let me tell you that having software (games in our case) as a service it will cause numerous problems. Loosing total control and have no history preservation *especially* for games, is something to think about.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Fuck New Vegas 2, let Tim/Leo/Jason/Josh make a proper turn-based based Fallout. Bethesda seems overextended with Starfart and Skyrim 2 anyways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom