Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda acquired by Microsoft

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Maybe with Microsoft money, their games are less buggy

The traditionally sloppy coding at Bethesda was never a money issue, but an organizational issue. Bethesda's MO was never about delivering a polished game, but delivering a good toolset (to fix the game yourself).

thesecret1

Arcane
Seeing as how Fallout 4 was such a piece of shit that I had to uninstall after a couple hours, I can't really see this as decline. Worst case scenario: Bethesda keeps churning out garbage that's not even worth playing. And hey, maybe some MS exec will boot out Hines one of these days, that'd be a good hoot.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why does Carmac want to get back to the old stuff? Didn't he leave because making engines was too mundane?

Chimera

Augur
THQ Nordic is the lesser evil among the evil oligarchies

It's genuinely staggering to see someone with that avatar advocate for THQNordic. Did you, somehow, miss that godforsaken refuse they dubbed the "Gothic Playable Teaser" as a prelude to a remake? The absolute joke that is the Kingdoms of Amalur remaster? The dumbing-down of Destroy All Humans for the sake of shiny new graphics? The fact that their Darksiders and Red Faction re-releases remain just as buggy as the originals?

I also wished for more ACE Team games and got Rock of Ages 3 and Sol Seraph, wished for more Crash Bandicoot and got it but also The Last of Us 2, wished for a good new comedy but could not go see it because it was in movie theaters and I am afraid to leave the house for long periods because of the virus, wished to have Chrontendo come out more and it will but with shorter episodes, I wished for Batman on the CW and he will be the star of Batwoman even though that makes no sense

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can a 100 billion dollar software development company that threw 5+ billion dollars around like it's chump change and ported Minecraft into C++ make Bethesda a new game engine?

Signs point to no.

Last edited:

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Go away from Codex for one weekend, and this shit happens.

Microsoft be everywhere.

Edit: For those saying why keep Avowed if you have TES/Fallout, I'm guessing they'll still have "open" years where Bethesda can't crank out an open-world title, so Avowed would likely fit the bill during those quiet years. Plus the more open world games you release on Gamepass, the more perceived value to the consumer, maybe.

Definitely going to have a problem getting attention from Big Daddy Microsoft with so many kids in the house now! Bethesda's likely to draw most of the eyes and interest, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What the fuck, man? Cancer devoured by super-cancer: the story of the 2010s. :lol:

I guess you could say this is the "fallout" of Fallout 76. :lol:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I wasn't paying attention to Zenimax, since I don't care about any of their products.

What they did to Fallout (3, 4 and 76) in unforgivable, so I just tuned them out.

Now that Microsoft has bought them outright, with cash, there's actually some chance of an incline sometime in the future... but probably not. In the end Microsoft only wants them, so they can put them in their game-pass and sell subscriptions.

That's where the real money is made.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I picked the best year to stop caring about computer games, the rise of the games-as-a-service model would otherwise be too depressing.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The best thing about this deal is that now other studios might get a chance to try make spin-off game of Fallout and Elder scroll franchise.

They might still suck, but they will be miles better than all the mobile game bullshit bethesda is pulling out of their ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom