Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft acquires Bethesda/Zenimax

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It could end up being like how there are three Call of Duty studios. A Skyrim clone every year!

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
Crpgaddict is going to like this, he has stated that he'd be happy with Skyrim sequels being released like pokemon games.

Unfortunate from the competition standpoint to see companies being bought out. I wonder how it'll turn out with 3 rpg companies being owned by Microsoft.

I mean, I kind of agree with this. Does waiting a decade per release really change the quality of the game? Not really. Give me my yearly hiking sim shovelware and i'll mod it to my own personal tastes.

Wunderbar

Arcane
the only ones who are upset/concerned about this are sony fans... shit will still come to PC anyways
why so many playstation fanboys on RPGCODEX????
keep losing, snoy
When the original xbox only started and wasn't doing great against PS2, MS ported Halo 1-2, Gears of war and Fable on PC. Once they've realized that Xbox 360 is a success, they quickly pulled the plug and PC never saw Fable 2, Gears 2-3-4 or Halo 3-4-etc.

The same thing is happening right now, MS are only porting games to PC because Xbox one was a failure. They will stop doing that soon.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't see how this is going to be worth it for Microsoft. I can't imagine how TES: VI or the space game will put enough butts on the Xbox whatever to justify 7.5 billion, and I don't see the rest of their games making up the rest.
It isn't just xbox it is PC too. They abandoned PC while they focused on building the xbox, and the PC boomed in that time. Now they learned from the mistake and want to grow both together. They are growing an 'ecosystem' of Windows on PC and Xbox, but all running alongside each other. Gamers playing together and chatting together and games developed specifically for xbox or windows. Cheaper and better in terms of development, and the audience will be enormous. How can little Sony compete with every gaming PC in the world combined with every Xbox.

The amount they have spent on the new Flight Sim, on Minecraft, and now on Zenimax shows how serious they are about boosting gaming on PC/xbox. If ES6 ends up being exclusive, that likely send the Playstation the way of the Megadrive.

None

Scholar
I don't see how this is going to be worth it for Microsoft. I can't imagine how TES: VI or the space game will put enough butts on the Xbox whatever to justify 7.5 billion, and I don't see the rest of their games making up the rest.
On their own, Fallout and TES move millions of copies. I'd imagine the rest of the Zenimax studios have decent sales as well. If future Bethesda games become Xbox exclusives, you'll see a huge uptick in Xbox sales as well from console players.

New Game Pass subs will also drive a huge amount of sales, which is also available for the PC. As anvi said, it is all about getting the customer to adopt your ecosystem. Once they are there, they'll continue to make purchases. It worked for Azure, and now they are trying to get the same model to work for gaming.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Seeing tons of people in comment sections across the internet ocean blue theorizing that Microsoft will not make "big" games exclusive. Theory is gamepass is more important, get people on Playstation to pay full price or lure them to Xbox with gamepass. "Elder Scrolls makes too much money to remove half the sales." I think this theory is flawed. You don't pay 7.5 BILLION dollars to nudge people, you pay it to have massive hits people can't get anywhere else. Unless Sony literally allows gamepass on their machines, which I doubt, I'd guess after 2021 it's a Microsoft only show for the most part.

NullFlow

Savant
When you consider that Microsoft is currently holding around $137 billion in cash and looking to expand on gaming as a service, I think they can afford a one-time $7.5 billion adventure. TES and Fallout alone are massive moneymaking franchises, despite their cratering lows lately, and Starfield will likely be the same. This isn't even including the other franchises from id and Arkane. I don't even think Xbox exclusivity was the primary objective because Microsoft has been transitioning Xbox into gaming as a service, meaning the rights to them on PC or any other platform like mobile, and would draw a lot of people and money to their Xbox Game Pass.

A big move but I'm in the camp of remains to be seen. The reason Skyrim was ported and milked so much was likely to the fact that it's success was either a fluke or the team wasn't confident enough that they could re-create its impact, because why else would they wait so long to make another TES. Who knows though, maybe TESVI will have the same effect and that will obviously bode well for the studio and MS. That would be the only IP strong enough to warrant a system seller. Minecraft is also available on the PS4 last I heard, so it's probably not unlikely that MS once they milk initial releases, will port those games to other platform for additional profits. I still remember when they acquired Rare, most of their acquisition didn't bore any fruits, and Perfect Dark didn't turn out good. As for their new consoles I don't see many people that cares anymore for the new Halo, and last I heard Gears is a shadow of it's formal self. Fable has sold less with each release with 2 and 3 being bad games with technical problems like framerate drops, bugs, etc.

Urgh, looks like a step closer to the pure games-as-a-service hell. I hope Microsoft fumbles like they did in the past when they tried to push a service but i am afraid that they have learned some lessons from the past, doing it more gradually with sweet deals along the way.
Yes, this is what I'm really against. I even see people on this here site endorsing XGP. I've already said that I'm collecting old physical games so when the inevitable future becomes a reality, I can game until old age.

Dexter

Arcane
I still remember when they acquired Rare, most of their acquisition didn't bore any fruits, and Perfect Dark didn't turn out good. As for their new consoles I don't see many people that cares anymore for the new Halo, and last I heard Gears is a shadow of it's formal self. Fable has sold less with each release with 2 and 3 being bad games with technical problems like framerate drops, bugs, etc.
I think people are being a bit Fabulously Optimistic and letting their imagination run a bit wild about what might be, but it's usually a similar Song & Dance with Microsoft. At the beginning of a new console generation they usually either go on a purchasing spree or secure a high amount of Exclusivity agreements, but they kind of stop caring and at the end of it they usually end up with so few titles that people are still genuinely enthusiastic about that they have to do the same thing over again. I don't know if people still remember that FASA, Bungie, Digital Anvil, Ensemble, Rare, Lionhead, Twisted Pixel etc. were such acquisitions, or that Microsoft was big in RTS games on PC once, although it has been an uncharacteristic amount of game studio acquisitions for them this time around.

Aside from that people should remember that all "Xbox Game Studios" are beholden to a kind of corporate fancy that some higher-up Executive "thinks might be the new thing". This has manifested in temporary occurrences like the "Second Screen" gaming craze, or the XBone coming out with a Mandatory Kinect that increased its price and became a paper-weight rather soon after, or the TVTVTV compilations of earlier last decade, but it can basically be anything. They could suddenly decide that playing games on "Smart watches" is the future for Microsoft or that Coprophilia is the Hot new thing (since gamers like consuming shit so much anyway), or get engrossed in some late trend like "Cloud gaming" or "Game Subscription Services" or whatever and go all-in without their Subsidiaries getting much say in the matter or thought about the long-term consequences of a strategic move.

For the people that wanted Bethesda or specific Bethesda Studios to die or become even more irrelevant, this might be good news. For people that still kind of enjoyed some of Zenimax's latest Output the Sky's The Limit as to what is to come after the release of the current titles they're working on in the coming decade. Zenimax at the end of the day was a gaming company that made money and stayed afloat by producing and selling games (whether you liked them or not), while Microsoft ultimately doesn't need "Gaming" to stay profitable or relevant. They could as much decide it's a diversion from their core business and divest of it entirely in a strategic corporate restructuring 3 years from now.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Todd Howard taking over Obsidian and making Josh Sawyer bend the knee is the future I never knew I wanted.

I still remember when they acquired Rare, most of their acquisition didn't bore any fruits, and Perfect Dark didn't turn out good. As for their new consoles I don't see many people that cares anymore for the new Halo, and last I heard Gears is a shadow of it's formal self. Fable has sold less with each release with 2 and 3 being bad games with technical problems like framerate drops, bugs, etc.
I think people are being a bit Fabulously Optimistic and letting their imagination run a bit wild about what might be, but it's usually a similar Song & Dance with Microsoft. At the beginning of a new console generation they usually either go on a purchasing spree or secure a high amount of Exclusivity agreements, but they kind of stop caring and at the end of it they usually end up with so few titles that people are still genuinely enthusiastic about that they have to do the same thing over again. I don't know if people still remember that FASA, Bungie, Digital Anvil, Ensemble, Rare, Lionhead, Twisted Pixel etc. were such acquisitions, or that Microsoft was big in RTS games on PC once, although it has been an uncharacteristic amount of game studio acquisitions for them this time around.

Aside from that people should remember that all "Xbox Game Studios" are beholden to a kind of corporate fancy that some higher-up Executive "thinks might be the new thing". This has manifested in temporary occurrences like the "Second Screen" gaming craze or the TVTVTV compilations of earlier last decade, but it can basically be anything. They could suddenly decide that playing games on "Smart watches" is the future for Microsoft or that Coprophilia is the Hot new thing (since gamers like consuming shit so much anyway), or get engrossed in some late trend like "Cloud gaming" or "Game Subscription Services" or whatever and go all-in without their Subsidiaries getting much say in the matter or thought about the long-term consequences of a strategic move.

For the people that wanted Bethesda or specific Bethesda Studios to die or become even more irrelevant, this might be good news. For people that still kind of enjoyed some of Zenimax's latest Output the Sky's The Limit as to what is to come after the release of the current titles they're working on in the coming decade. Zenimax at the end of the day was a gaming company that made money and stayed afloat by producing and selling games (whether you liked them or not), while Microsoft ultimately doesn't need "Gaming" to stay profitable or relevant. They could as much decide it's a diversion from their core business and divest of it entirely in a strategic corporate restructuring 3 years from now.
Well said, this is pretty much what I expect from this new acquisition. Rare developers often have gone on rants of how bad management was when MS took over and how everything went to hell when they were under them. I wouldn't be surprised if the same fate were to befall these new studios, although if MS were smart, they let them do what they were doing with some minor changes based on some geek with a graph telling them where to optimize. I see MS going the route of the ecosystem they've often touted and won't care whether you game on a Smartphone or Playstation as long as you're subscribed to their shit.

toroid

Arcane
Perhaps it was unreasonable to want Zenimax/Bethesda to go bankrupt or be annihilated by a meteor, but I'll settle for the criminal Zenimax board of directors cashing out and walking away since this seems to be what's happening.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
unified workflow, toolset, production pipelines, QA, style guide, rapidly shifting developers and content creators from project to project as they are needed, clear definition of roles and hierarchy, every worker – a cog in a well oiled machine, generating shareholder value... new AAA game every year, no, THREE TIMES a year, just like UbiSoft

I consider most of that fabulously optimistic in the context of game making. Especially since Microsoft allegedly leave the studios a lot of independence. And regarding things like toolsets, I've yet to be convinced that EA benefits from developing Frostbyte.

Jeez man, I was shitposting. Even so, this is how suits think.

That's how they talk, most of the smarter ones know it's bullshit

It's not just Bethesda Studios though.. It's ID, Tango Gameworks (Shinji Mikami,) Arkane and Machine Games (Wolfenstein.)

Yeah, I know it's everything. But $7.5 billion is still crazy for all that. Minecraft was probably more valuable than everything ZeniMax has and they bought them for $2 billon something. Disney bought Lucasfilms for $4 billion, (which was kind of a deal for Disney) and that came with stuff like Star Wars and the biggest FX house in the movie industry.

That's a lot of money to fill out Game Pass, get like 3 IPs people care about, and I'm sure whatever they've got going with VR.

Tehdagah

Arcane
It isn't just xbox it is PC too. They abandoned PC while they focused on building the xbox, and the PC boomed in that time. Now they learned from the mistake and want to grow both together. They are growing an 'ecosystem' of Windows on PC and Xbox, but all running alongside each other. Gamers playing together and chatting together and games developed specifically for xbox or windows. Cheaper and better in terms of development, and the audience will be enormous. How can little Sony compete with every gaming PC in the world combined with every Xbox.

The amount they have spent on the new Flight Sim, on Minecraft, and now on Zenimax shows how serious they are about boosting gaming on PC/xbox. If ES6 ends up being exclusive, that likely send the Playstation the way of the Megadrive.
Also Sony severely underestimated the appeal of cross-play/cross-progression.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's not just Bethesda Studios though.. It's ID, Tango Gameworks (Shinji Mikami,) Arkane and Machine Games (Wolfenstein.)

Yeah, I know it's everything. But $7.5 billion is still crazy for all that. Minecraft was probably more valuable than everything ZeniMax has and they bought them for $2 billon something. Disney bought Lucasfilms for $4 billion, (which was kind of a deal for Disney) and that came with stuff like Star Wars and the biggest FX house in the movie industry.

That's a lot of money to fill out Game Pass, get like 3 IPs people care about, and I'm sure whatever they've got going with VR.

They paid 2 Billion for Minecraft. I think they got Zenimax on the cheap if you think about all the IP's under that umbrella. Doom / Fallout and Elder Scrolls print money and if those become xbox exclusives. Lol.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Perhaps it was unreasonable to want Zenimax/Bethesda to go bankrupt or be annihilated by a meteor, but I'll settle for the criminal Zenimax board of directors cashing out and walking away since this seems to be what's happening.
Yes, the latter is a close equivalent to the former in terms of ignominy:

Scrooge-Mc-Duck.gif

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Obsidian would be worse than Bethesda, at least with Bethesda I would laugh about it like I did with Fallout 4, seeing New Vegas 2 made by the same people who made Outer Worlds would just be depressing.

Franchise raping and hitting new low isn't anything new since Fallout 3Fallout : BOS release (yeah infact that include New Vegas too).

So why not go further and give nu-Obsidian Fallout and watch how further the series will get low after Fallout 76.

I mean at this point i really don't care what happen to franchise anymore, make as well take enjoyment to see how far the Franchise is going to be raped again and again.

Edit : I forgot F : POS existed

Last edited:
Also Sony severely underestimated the appeal of cross-play/cross-progression.

Sony didn't underestimate the appeal of cross play, they ignored it. And they ignored it because they could, they were on top. For Sony there was really no benefit in it for them outside of how it may have looked. For Microsoft there was a benefit, but that's because they were in dead last place. Microsoft being mister cool guy with not keeping their stuff console exclusive is likely also because this gen their console was fucking deader than dead...they weren't doing that shit with the 360 when they were on top, they weren't doing it with the Xbox when they were building a brand and something like Halo was the reason to have a Xbox. Someone in the thread said something like Microsoft buying up companies won't affect PC players because they put everything on PC anyways. Well, at the moment that might be true, but if Microsoft isn't under Sony and Nintendo again that might all change. Even if it's like some kind of philosophical direction for Phil Spencer, I can't see him being in charge if he fucks up the new Xbox like the people before him fucked of the release of the Xbox One.

Then again what they're doing with Game Pass I guess will mean you'll always have their stuff on PC. But then at some point I could see that being "Only on PC with Game Pass" as opposed to a true PC release.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In fact, buy whatever you want NOW, then download it before it gets pulled from GOG and Steam to be exclusive to the shitty MS game rental service.

"But lel why would u ever want to have downloads of the games, Steam is perfect" - galaxybrains must be sweating bullets now if they haven't learned their lesson from the Epic Store fiasco.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom