Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda acquired by Microsoft

Dump Stat

Novice
Give Obsdian the Fallout IP, have Bethesda make Starfield and ES6.

Space them out so one hits about 2 years before the next, maybe inexile gets something out too between the gaps and you have a Call of Duty / Assassins Creed like game factory for churning out a new “RPG” for the masses every couple of years.

After Fallout 4 learned almost absolutely nothing from NV, (except factions), and Fallout 76 blew up on the launchpad, any interest in a Bethesda game was already at an all time low for me. So if this gets an obsidian fallout game to us again, it’s worth it.

Doom 2016 was better than eternal, so I think the honeymoons over at id now anyways.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I hope that their first step will be to fucking assimilate Emil Pagliarulo, and make Obsidian responsible for the future Fallout franchise.
i'll take Emil Pagliarulo over current Obsidian any day of the week

If Outer Worlds is the best Tim and Leonard can come up with.. pfbfbbf..
I don't think I could stomach a Fallout New Vegas 2 in "Nu-Obsidian"

All these people are over-the-hill (have outgrown this by) now.

No, Gonzalez wrote an intelligence-insulting story in Horizon Zero Dawn and Avellone is a loser who believes certain topics should now be verboten in games.

MCA coming in here bitching about Josh Sawyer and his Horrid themes of sexual assault in a post apocalypse setting.. :roll:

These old fogies are washed up..

DeepOcean

Arcane
I mean, when I learned that on Fallout 4 main story, your son is the main antagonist, I thought "Man, that is retarded.", so, the only difference I expect from nu-Obsidian on Fallout 5 is that, this time, your son will be transgender.

Codex Year of the Donut
I mean, when I learned that on Fallout 4 main story, your son is the main antagonist, I thought "Man, that is retarded."
Huh? I thought that was one of the few good things in the story. I definitely wasn't expecting it along with the synth you were lead to believe was your son.
Definitely one of the few times I've been surprised by a major twist in a video game.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
I mean, when I learned that on Fallout 4 main story, your son is the main antagonist, I thought "Man, that is retarded.", so, the only difference I expect from nu-Obsidian on Fallout 5 is that, this time, your son will be transgender.
And the antagonist. Except you find out he's committed suicide before you even reach the halfway point of the game.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I mean, when I learned that on Fallout 4 main story, your son is the main antagonist, I thought "Man, that is retarded."
Huh? I thought that was one of the few good things in the story. I definitely wasn't expecting it along with the synth you were lead to believe was your son.
Definitely one of the few times I've been surprised by a major twist in a video game.
I believe that someone at Bethesda came up with a twist first, but then struggled to explain it in the actual game.
Your son is now a 70 years old man - why would MIT allow some guinea pig kid to raise up in their ranks, why is Kellogg still looks the same, why is your character never asks himself a question of how much time had passed since kidnapping? Yeah there is a computer terminal somewhere in MIT that tells you about Kellogg's age-stopping augmentations, but it just makes the story even worse because why would Shaun die from cancer if MIT have the technology to make people immortal?

In the article, they said the structure and leadership of the companies (including bethesda) will remain the same.

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that game devs do NOT necessarily perform or create better games with more money. I will point out to the indie gaming scene vs AAA dichotomy as one example. It's also one of the reasons why EA divisions like Bioware and its other sister orgs probably suck despite having more cash. Sometimes when you have too much resources money and other shit, it actually limits diversity in the product leading to the popeamole effect.

Codex Year of the Donut
The problem stems from a lack of people physically assaulting the devs if they fail to deliver and not forcing them to consume amphetamines to meet deadlines.
I warned you about treating gamedevs like humans bro

Wunderbar

Arcane
Honestly, I'm of the opinion that game devs do NOT necessarily perform or create better games with more money. I will point out to the indie gaming scene vs AAA dichotomy as one example. It's also one of the reasons why EA divisions like Bioware and its other sister orgs probably suck despite having more cash. Sometimes when you have too much resources money and other shit, it actually limits diversity in the product leading to the popeamole effect.
limitations are good. Constraints lead to creativity, freedom will allow them to procrastinate and waste resources on shiny objects.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
THINGS THAT NEVER HAPPEN AFTER THE APOCALYPSE: Rape

The Road Warrior and Clockwork Orange depicted rape during a decade when that was quite a risque thing to put on film.

Of course, it still is risque this very year, but for different and extremely degenerate reasons.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

To be fair, that's like saying the story of Titanic was a boat sunk.. or the plot of 1984 was, some type writer guy got in trouble.
You can make anything sound retarded if you want.

All that said, I totally scrubbed the plot of Fallout 4 from my mind because it was pretty shit.. so yea maybe fire them all.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
but it just makes the story even worse because why would Shaun die from cancer if MIT have the technology to make people immortal?

Because they had to make you care about your son in some way, even if meant literaly killing him by the stupidiest reason possible instead building up. It's same reason why you had to die in the ending of fallout 3.

It's meant to be a "epic moment" but Bethesda is unable to make happen in a natural way because their writting is ass.

I would love to see microsoft to fire everyone um Betehsda writting staff because holyshit. Just thinking about fallout 3 plot makes me mad.

Wunderbar

Arcane
but it just makes the story even worse because why would Shaun die from cancer if MIT have the technology to make people immortal?
Because they had to make you care about your son in some way, even if meant literaly killing him by the stupidiest reason possible instead building up. It's same reason why you had to die in the ending of fallout 3.

It's meant to be a "epic moment" but Bethesda is unable to make happen in a natural way because their writting is ass.

I would love to see microsoft to fire everyone um Betehsda writting staff because holyshit. Just thinking about fallout 3 plot makes me mad.
well yeah, bethesda can't write, news at 11. At least you can ignore the bullshit main quest and just hike around the world, shoot shit, buy perks and collect rare guns.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
It's same reason why you had to die in the ending of fallout 3.
wait what

In 3 you HAVE to sacrifice youself or your female companion even if you have a ghoul or super mutant (both imune to radiation) to go in a place with a shit ton of rads..

It's meant to be cool EPIC moment. Even if doesn't make any sense or the game shows that there's other possibilities , it needs to happen because that how script/writter wants. It's stupid and shows that bethesda doesn't care or just overlooked their shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom