Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What would you like to see in a new RPG

Darth Canoli

Arcane
What i would like to see :
- Some gameplay, a demo, at least something because i've read your kickstarter page and i still have no idea what this is about except the character status looks like a CYOA book.

Stuff i absolutely hate :
- Your kickstarter page, "Fluent plays" threads, flies swimming in my soup ...

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I'd like to see the term "Blackhole" exchanged for something that more accurately reflects the nature of this wondrous phenomena. My suggestion: Space-Time Butthole

nikolokolus

Arcane
One big question I never see a developer/designer ask themselves is, "What does my game offer that hasn't already been done before and what sets it apart?" I'm looking at this pitch and I'm thinking about really well-made games I already have on my self, like BRP, M-Space, or Stars Without Number and I can't figure out why I need this over any of those games from your pitch. You describe the mechanics as "D20 and D12" and then give the barest possible sketch of how that might even begin to work. The quality of the writing in your pitch, doesn't inspire curiosity, and frankly doesn't inspire much confidence that you've got the writing chops to create an evocative, fun game.

My advice is to actually build a system, post a system document on an RPG forum like TheRPGSite, RPGPub, RPG.net, etc. and get feedback from people, and then play-test the hell out of it, and then once you've gotten some feedback and integrated changes and then play-tested some more, launch a kickstarter (or whatever) after you're actually written your manuscript, and use the funds to get real art pieces commissioned. What you've launched here is a DOA kickstarter campaign with no chance of success.

agris

Arcane
Patron
i like the goblin concept art

goblin.jpg

it looks like shit, your layer work doesn't inspire confidence in the final product.

sorry.

Neotoma

Barely Literate
One big question I never see a developer/designer ask themselves is, "What does my game offer that hasn't already been done before and what sets it apart?" I'm looking at this pitch and I'm thinking about really well-made games I already have on my self, like BRP, M-Space, or Stars Without Number and I can't figure out why I need this over any of those games from your pitch. You describe the mechanics as "D20 and D12" and then give the barest possible sketch of how that might even begin to work. The quality of the writing in your pitch, doesn't inspire curiosity, and frankly doesn't inspire much confidence that you've got the writing chops to create an evocative, fun game.

My advice is to actually build a system, post a system document on an RPG forum like TheRPGSite, RPGPub, RPG.net, etc. and get feedback from people, and then play-test the hell out of it, and then once you've gotten some feedback and integrated changes and then play-tested some more, launch a kickstarter (or whatever) after you're actually written your manuscript, and use the funds to get real art pieces commissioned. What you've launched here is a DOA kickstarter campaign with no chance of success.

Thanks for your opinion. You demonstrate a great point I made with previous feedback I had. They said my Kickstarter had too much content. It had a in depth but concise look at the system with a bit more lore. You can't please anyone, some prefer less is more, some prefer the more the better. What I've decided to do, admittedly should've done before the launch, is building a website with all the information. My manuscript is finished btw. I'm not the best at marketing also and it's easier for me to write a full book than it is to give a short summary. If the kickstarter is DOA like you said, I guess I'll use what I've learned and make it better. Maybe even get some marketing help.

Although social interaction doesn't seem to be the forte of many rpg enthusiast, I do appreciate your honesty even though 100% negative.

Have a great day.

deuxhero

Arcane
stuff you absolutely hate

Trigger warnings. Demands your players be diverse and accepting and/or behave a certain way (only time telling players how to behave is remotely acceptable is when saying how to play evil characters). SJW lingo/characters. Leftist shit in general.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Seems very... 90s.

I am always fond of the classless approach, though.

Stella Brando

Arcane
- Medieval Europe (don't actually read a book on this topic, though)
- Random monsters and mythology without a clear theme
- Races borrowed from best-selling novels

Gregz

Arcane
I would like to see a cRPG use PvP in such a way that you can't tell that you're playing against other players.

In other words, it would be like a single-player cRPG, but the "AI" would be very advanced because there would be a player calling the shots against you.

I have no idea how that would work, or how you would implement it, but it would be cool.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I would like to see a cRPG use PvP in such a way that you can't tell that you're playing against other players.

In other words, it would be like a single-player cRPG, but the "AI" would be very advanced because there would be a player calling the shots against you.

I have no idea how that would work [...]

That's because it wouldn't...
Except if you play in hot-seat/lan mode with the "GM".

KotC 1 & 2 have a damn good AI though so it's as close as it gets.

Having competing parties being ghosts of friends' playthrough (or your own) taken from some timestamps could be interesting as well.

agris

Arcane
Patron
- historical fiction
- systems inspired by something beyond cRPG fads from the past 5 years
- world building by a team with varied life experiences outside of games and the internet

Eadee

Scholar
I hate it when ttrpgs are built like they're competetive sports with tournaments so they balance everything no matter how much that messes up the setting and/or the game sessions.

Let people/stuff/abilities be as powerful as they're supposed to be!
Invest at least as much time into making your rules work with the world/metaplot, as you invest in the world/rules itself.

Magic (if present) has to be in some way better than mundane means, otherwise it is not magic but just a wonky new skill.

mondblut

Arcane
What exactly makes that ttrpg any better than a million other ttrpgs out in the wild?

Unless it has a back catalogue of settings and adventures comparable to the likes of D&D, WoD, Runequest, Rolemancer et al, I don't see why would anybody care.

Every GM has a dozen of his own ttrpgs, and nobody wants to play them.

Unless it's FATAL.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom