Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

I keep an old 17" CRT around for retro gaming. What I really miss most about CRTs is their ability to handle so many different resolutions. So, you can play old games at 640x480 without it being a blurry mess while still being able to play somewhat newer titles at 1600x1200.

A 17" CRT isn't really *that* big or heavy, so it's worth tracking one down if you play a lot of older titles.
240p/360p/480p/540p/720p/1080p/1440p/2160p should scale flawlessly to an 8K screen as long as your screen or GPU does integer scaling. Good CRTs still have the advantage of superior motion resolution compared to most LCDs but OLED and plasmas (rip) are close enough IMO.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Sony is in for the fight of it's life, here.

Especially considering Playstation is now their biggest profit source.

Enormous broadside. The rumours are that Sony have been trying to buy up exclusivity across the board, so this is a pretty big message to cut that shit out because they simply can't compete with the MS warchest.

MS now have access to id engineers. I wasn't the biggest fan of Eternal as a game, but my god that engine is an absolute screamer.

They've got both the cheapest, and the more powerful console.

They have the gamepass.

They have actually decent back compatability.

Only thing they were lacking in was the exclusives.

Sony fanboys are always throwing 'EXCLUSIVES!' left and right but in fact since PS3 it means 3-4 cinematic craps.

It's Nintendo who has true exlusives (of quantity and quality), Nu-Playstation and Xbox are just too similar, few popamoles shouldn't make any major difference and minor details are in favour of M$ (pricing, b. compatibility).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Sony fanboys are always throwing 'EXCLUSIVES!' left and right but in fact since PS3 it means 3-4 cinematic craps.

It's Nintendo who has true exlusives (of quantity and quality), Nu-Playstation and Xbox are just too similar, few popamoles shouldn't make any major difference and minor details are in favour of M$ (pricing, b. compatibility).
Those 3-4 cinematic craps as you call it are more like 6-8, and those are the biggest sellers usually in a console generation. They are selling consoles, and in a result PS4 won this generation. We will see how the gamepass will affect this generation, but let's not jump to conclusions without having anything to base them on.

Those 3-4 cinematic craps as you call it are more like 6-8, and those are the biggest sellers usually in a console generation. They are selling consoles, and in a result PS4 won this generation. We will see how the gamepass will affect this generation, but let's not jump to conclusions without having anything to base them on.

M$ just bought Bethesda.

Fallout 5, Doom 6, Quake 7, Elder Scrolls 6, Wolfenstein X NOT on Playstation.

Xbox will roll over PS body this gen.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Think I'll subscribe to that all access thing microsoft is selling, fuck sony and it's 80€ games.

Will the series s have the se performance as the x but at 1080p or will the console be severally gimped due to less ram and weaker gpu?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
15 million Game Pass subs. God damn.
Its probably going to double till next november.
Was thinking of getting Doom Eternal on a sale, seems I wont have to now.

All Access is 370 SEK in Sweden. 245 for series X and 135 for Game Pass Ultimate. But for some stupid reason you need to go to the store, cant sign up online.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I am not a fan of their exclusives either. Only one that makes me wish I had a console is Bloodborne. However they sell amazingly well and people seem to love them, so our taste means little in marketing dynamics. Microsoft needed big AAA franchises to complete, and with Halo looking shitty and the other stuff not ready to show yet I can see why they made this move to have an instant library of top tier content (sales wise). I'd guess Starfield is gearing up for a holiday 2021 launch, and that holiday will be as important to the console war as this one.

Microsoft needed big AAA franchises to complete, and with Halo looking shitty and the other stuff not ready to show yet I can see why they made this move to have an instant library of top tier content (sales wise). I'd guess Starfield is gearing up for a holiday 2021 launch, and that holiday will be as important to the console war as this one.

I think it's only the beginning, there was a rumors about MS wanna buy Warner Bros and CDP, imagine MK, Inustice, Witcher, Batman:Arkham-Whatever avoiding Playstation...

Last edited:

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I think PlayStation will want to respond to this somehow. Elder scrolls is a must buy for many people so Sony needs to find an equivalent type of RPG. Would be nice if they buy capcom and pour a lot of money into a dragons dogma sequel.

That being said, Bethesda has been making shit games for a while now. I think PlayStation will still have the better exclusives. Horizon 2 and god of war 2 will be miles better than anything Bethesda can produce.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Doubt all their games are going to be exclusive.
Too much money to leave on the table.

Option 1. Get it on Game Pass on day 1
Option 2. Buy it for 70$/80€ on PS/Xbox/Steam

Either way its win-win for Microsoft.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Exactly. People think that Microsoft will now screw over Sony by not releasing their games on PS5. But don't forget, by releasing them on PS5, they will get 70% of the revenue from these games. And that's probably means more than having an exclusive which sells a few more Xbox.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That being said, Bethesda has been making shit games for a while now. I think PlayStation will still have the better exclusives. Horizon 2 and god of war 2 will be miles better than anything Bethesda can produce.

Extremely subjective and depends on genre taste. I'd eliminate the entire God of War series from existence just to save one Arkane game.

Cromwell

Arcane
Horizon 2 and god of war 2 will be miles better than anything Bethesda can produce

you're either elitist enough to hate bethesda which would be ok, or you're retarded enough to like horizon and god of war which would mean you're definetly retarded enough to like bethesda.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They were awesome games, GoW and horizon, thoroughly enjoyed them both, that being said... Fuck sony and their 80€ games.

I'll be getting a series s once performance analysis on it is released for 1080p because that's my TVs resolution. If it's a smooth experience I'll buy it and gamepass for good value.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Exactly. People think that Microsoft will now screw over Sony by not releasing their games on PS5. But don't forget, by releasing them on PS5, they will get 70% of the revenue from these games. And that's probably means more than having an exclusive which sells a few more Xbox.

It's not like Microsoft needs the money, they could play the long game, sacrificing short term profits in hope to make Xbox dominant console platform.

Cromwell

Arcane
Sony tries to get users with a larger psplus offer for november.

God of War
The Last of Us: Remastered
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Battlefield 1
Monster Hunter World
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XV
The Last Guardian
Ratchet and Clank
Infamous: Second Son
Days Gone
Bloodborne
Detroit: Become Human
Batman Arkham Knight
Mortal Kombat X
Persona 5
Until Dawn
Resident Evil: Biohazard

personally I would be offended to get the standard edition for P5 and probably standard MHW

Ebonsword

Arcane

Mortmal

Arcane
What are the killer apps , the games everyone absolutely want and justify getting a PS5 or xbox S day one ? I read nothing about them at all...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom