Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old/obscure/underrated JRPGs

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
and just when you think the case is solved and the game is p. much over the murderer turns out to be a psychotic time traveler trying to change history.
I think that twists like this give their games that unique charm. It's like the last part of Yu-No, where you suddenly go into a fantasy world for 5 hours with not much reason to or the one I saw recently in Dead of The Brain, where it turns out that the zombie plague was started by...
THE TERMINATOR
photo_term.jpg

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Out of curiosity, how many of these PC-98 games need DOS? The only two games I tried on the platform was some mahjong game and Shadowcaster, the later of which needed DOS and my understanding of Japanese was not enough to install that.

peacegamer

Novice
They mostly run on DOS.
With different settings.

With empathy for how pain of those gamers in 80's era.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Out of curiosity, how many of these PC-98 games need DOS? The only two games I tried on the platform was some mahjong game and Shadowcaster, the later of which needed DOS and my understanding of Japanese was not enough to install that.

There's emulators out there, you don't really need to have DOS installed. I've used Anex86, Pc98E and some others in the past. Sometimes games run in one of them but not in others, it takes some experimenting to get it right.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Foxy by élf (1990).

This is a really old strategy game with a silly plot. A group called Red invaded a city and started kidnapping and brainwashing all cute gurls. You are team Blue and must save the city.

Gameplay though is not too bad, kinda like Dune 2 minus building your own base. There are a ton of different units (including tanks, missile launchers, aerial units) each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

6J0CvuC.gif

RjQSRLT.gif

MJFYoz3.gif

8GdZ4ZP.gif

7DKlBdv.gif

KsZmYza.gif

fVjRBby.gif

RRa2IYn.gif

exDcsVj.gif

hmWDePJ.gif

fiUPwPe.gif

XL2Xg58.gif

ZsYHEwy.gif

G80qL1F.gif

sg8P79l.gif

yEYogH4.gif

jEFRRuv.gif

YwlPBhE.gif

OPuyXJh.gif

GGfWmbg.gif

v9KnpwS.gif

0DdOycB.gif

VMj4s65.gif

Played Foxy 2 by élf (1991).

Same game as above but with better graphics and an actual story. This game was probably developed together with ELLE as the female protagonist of the game looks exactly like Elle.

Now you need to finish missions within turn limit but you no longer need to eliminate every enemy to win, just capturing enemy base is enough.

tsLKp75.gif

cj6srqg.gif

cECAE9A.gif

eyFpYe3.gif

CL0G9wZ.gif

o3vhRGJ.gif

hM10Kke.gif

BtPB4is.gif

Xl2CJk5.gif

KfsrWaU.gif

0c7ZZrH.gif

tjFNnVH.gif

x09EiXd.gif

TtgLhKJ.gif

PsuuTr6.gif

GllLZWE.gif

B60zOmn.gif

jnezh7e.gif

jlDIFDy.gif

FwoX8wr.gif

IfKP9LA.gif

HexzZ7h.gif

riWVGmn.gif

lMAMbSM.gif

XkVZDAK.gif

UVQwgAh.gif

cIRgSac.gif

pM4pJ5u.gif

SaXVde8.gif

2Tfu4DH.gif

HKko2Se.gif

rohand

Cipher
Ok! That is an awesome application and i'll be using that a lot. AWESOME!!!
You know, there's a simpler way. PC-98 emulators support hooking text to outside (since text is usually displayed with a common routine), so for the most games you can just run a tool that will grab strings and use multiple online dictionaries to translate them (not working for some games but it's a rarity). It's p. playable. Sometimes a particular dictionary API breaks and needs to be updated.

Check out the tail end of this thread for the fresh versions (and some other similar tools):
http://www.hongfire.com/forum/forum...utorials/68499-translation-aggregator/page118

Oh yeah, and there were some additional helper files somewhere that make some commonly used words translate better, like names for example. There was that game I played where the protag was called TRUTH. But it became more useful Shin after using that.

https://ztranslate.net/ seems promising too.

Retroarch is going that way too

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
https://ztranslate.net/ seems promising too.

Retroarch is going that way too

Automatic OCR would be p cool. They're also talking about helping the recognition with indexes, once it's easy to use, it would be the last barrier, since emulators produce a pixel perfect image ideal for OCRing but not every game can be text-hooked. When I play games on PC98 nowadays I tend to use Textractor (https://github.com/Artikash/Textractor/releases) + DeepL API + Translation Aggregator in another window just to get Google and romaji. Two catches - Textractor's author recently announced he's stopping the development due to lack of motivation and DeepL costs a small amount of money (less than 10 EUR/month in my case). Otherwise it's very playable.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Dangel/Dengel

Very Rance-like protagonist (his yakuza speech patterns were annoying to read though), cool waifus, p. amazing enemy design, story full of twists and turns (you even lost the main character for 1/3 of the game), main character even sacrifices himself at the end for the sake of his waifus

final dungeon was also great with a p. cool maze

also nice detail, defeated enemies don't drop gold but fangs, pelts, ichor, etc. that need to be sold to shops to make gold

overall p. classic game, better than any Final Faggotry
Dangel was one of the first games I played on PC98 emulator (even before Kuro no ken). It was a p. fun classic jrpg with a great protagonist (an ancestor of Rance).

I discovered not long ago that there was a sequel “Danger Angel” released in 2003.

AOQrNYK.jpg

Aside from voice over, occasional video sequences and shinier CGs it is basically exactly the same game as the first (but overall much less raunchy).

At the end of Dangel 1 Anduke saves the world from and ascends to heaven but shortly thereafter is banished from heaven and encased in stone for a hundred years because he fukked around too much.

After a hundred years the daughter of Zeus who is basically a Sill clone (incidentally, Dragon Knight protagonist is the son of Zeus, Wapanese really love to use him as a god) descends to earth because he needs to save the world again.

It comes down on finding four women with special powers who become party member. Only Anduke can unlock their power by fukking them and making them cum. Their powers are unique and used both in combat, dungeons and plot events.

The plot is actually p. clever. Anduke has a half-brother this time around (he’s half demon while Anduke is half angel). There’s a love triangle thingie going on with Sill but only Anduke gets to pop her cherry (he cucks Anduke at another time though).

You meet some party members from the first game (or their descendants) which is p. neat.

The ending is great; just when you expect a boring end where everyone returns to their old life, Anduke literally heads into spaaaaaaace with his harem of waifus (who don’t mind he fukks even more gurls). :lol: :salute:

OGPGvrO.jpg

RWavRGH.jpg

zbczh2P.jpg

dR10jEm.jpg

hBSn4cS.jpg

Lf7T0sB.jpg

VlRCofe.jpg

mONJtMJ.jpg

hlCpOSE.jpg

8yCxPUB.jpg

2xCkkeZ.jpg

hx6giiF.jpg

eNpTrYM.jpg

25g5gDo.jpg

wU1Cfvi.jpg

aWzd4d6.jpg

fTQpjd6.jpg

wOqiBrG.jpg

BHFHP3w.jpg

psodD0t.jpg

dwVzk9u.jpg

AtSFyFn.jpg

DK7adWj.jpg

W4otkeI.jpg

08v7Llu.jpg

lUcgEUS.jpg

Ygyjzt8.jpg

vQ9SlZ4.jpg

JMjBZL9.jpg

6621l8L.jpg

13XcjLy.jpg

EIXjoQg.jpg

6RtXCo5.jpg

tNj1l4b.jpg

v38O54e.jpg

bXaA1Rl.jpg

ExjHIFa.jpg

OtPQXo9.jpg

1yKkPDk.jpg

98P5W9f.jpg

PgGzrSU.jpg

7bemv2T.jpg

7TQFMv0.jpg

3nnX3TE.jpg

gS6TnDv.jpg

C2m8lBB.jpg

KlqYEqN.jpg

g62N78L.jpg

AnXkbd9.jpg

DWlHwWy.jpg

jZ911sp.jpg

isTNVt2.jpg

9A9k1AC.jpg

UtNbyMY.jpg

xiIGw0z.jpg

COcui8E.jpg

iYrPnMg.jpg

7BPmNps.jpg

P2Nc14D.jpg

bYDyQ0E.jpg

KJLuwE8.jpg

6sj81F9.jpg

Vhezob7.jpg

tt1YHE6.jpg

SrRM0nb.jpg

6EW3x2Y.jpg

K0xcW2n.jpg

Oxoc57d.jpg

And on another note also played

Kuro no Dansho: the literary fragment by Abogado (1995)

It’s a detective adventure with horror elements. There’s a string of murders that happen in the main characters’ own apartment building and it’s p. easy to figure out the culprit. But then everything turns out to be related to the main character’s dark past and the story takes a Lovecraftian turn.

The story finishes in Maine (the US state).

The game has some memorable scenes and tunes.

DwaPkIR.gif

X10fkUQ.gif

4G3GwrQ.gif

PbiqQdQ.gif

RDUq7qh.gif

HXZLQCI.gif

gShp81j.gif

byiVkFf.gif

Yj63gcH.gif

4tybXDT.gif

dV4wwpP.gif

eV1fq3b.gif

cGhPPvf.gif

bW3NorN.gif

F87AyG1.gif

CdZxp0A.gif

1KLvl3h.gif

QSasrGN.gif

EbaqtvD.gif

3bSfo3C.gif

owgpOdX.gif

7amPAL9.gif

JPMuyOV.gif

vyx3bXv.gif

B42dsw6.gif

4VnTwea.gif

fVmPBbK.gif

coVbJOp.gif

3SIJxQl.gif

yXq8GBP.gif

KjGjvAG.gif

So9gnhs.gif

qDuyDui.gif

IG5cNc1.gif

NemmzkC.gif

tk3PWCT.gif

ECZikFd.gif

XsCvDSP.gif

iECJ54q.gif

u9Rl6eh.gif

tv3jwVF.gif

53NhRDo.gif

IdVLjTp.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Jesus: Kyofu no bio monster by Enix (1987)

Older Enix games like Hokuto no ken and Savior have hiragana/katakana only text.

It is basically a mix of Invasion of Body Snatchers and Alien.

At the end you beat the monster with the power of friendship music (like in Loom)

This game has a sequel unlike Angelus

sbNUZrQ.gif

9a7dPKP.gif

S4nwDLh.gif

EHKSOUK.gif

YL9cIa7.gif

asdEuRU.gif

fsXqIUM.gif

WbklVgV.gif

sDXdI7u.gif

jPYdQiK.gif

T27IgFz.gif

xbMiDYY.gif

97LXRM1.gif

j2bCXCG.gif

yLLNchl.gif

uBBNrTN.gif

gkybflH.gif

caAdLiO.gif

5ubFv5v.gif

TsG0VD1.gif

tZjE3h1.gif

ldTtXze.gif

VpNyQeY.gif

L5tNaaG.gif

LaC3Hsl.gif

XUH4kzI.gif

mxhB1dM.gif

xyz8XLf.gif

Played Jesus 2 (1991)

It’s a direct sequel, taking place 4 years after the first. This time it’s more like that Heinlein book.

The monster merges with master computer at the end and you need to insert the game discs in a certain order according to colour (disk 1 is green, etc.).

IfgpDqz.gif

OAilWJc.gif

UWZrYTg.gif

38yGDVh.gif

aKndyFM.gif

2jfwPJa.gif

qFwNpVj.gif

SKEeQjs.gif

9KssypI.gif

Z9XOqBP.gif

Xujq0n0.gif

N3f2Zzg.gif

u1MmnFY.gif

89HWSd6.gif

PGucnSX.gif

FEC4hb6.gif

tmeyont.gif

gko0hCB.gif

xw6Y5rJ.gif

uMucSVT.gif

KtXtqEe.gif

fAY2ZXZ.gif

a9GHpcs.gif

g77I1BR.gif

kQZJOjR.gif

tzshRcZ.gif

YfL4um6.gif

aDyAbSg.gif

N0MXLQv.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Arcus by Wolf Team for PC88 (1988).

JKyLt9S.jpg

bPZe3un.jpg

Wolf Team has an interesting history.

This Telenet Japan subsidiary was founded in 1987, and initially headed by Masahiro Akishino. It went independent for 2 years, then got folded back in. It is known for its work with Japanese PCs, the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis), and the Super Famicom (SNES). They developed Zan, Arcus, and Hiōden games.

In 1993, it was restructured, as part of a Telenet Japan initiative to reduce costs. Some staff resisted the change, including Wolf Team head, Masahiro Akishino, producer Masaaki Uno (went to Camelot Software), Sega Genesis programmers Toshio Toyota and Yukihiko Tani (aka bugtaro) (both co-founded Gau Entertainment ).

Wolf Team producer Joe Asanuma took the helm at this time. Due to the poor sales of their games, they needed to seek an outside financier to publish and market their next game, based on the novel Tale Phantasia, written by Yoshiharu Gotanda. After seeing bids from some companies, such as Enix and Namco, they signed on with the agreement made by Namco. Namco made many marketing changes to the game, which struck a protest from Yoshiharu Gotanda, and Masaki Norimoto. Many people on the team supported them, and these protests saw Joe Asanuma get ousted for his lack of ability to solve these protests, so they brought in Eiji Kikuchi to direct the game. This brought up the idea for the protesters to start up their own company.

After Tales of Phantasia was released, most of the development staff left Wolf Team. Most of this development staff went to participate in the founding of Tri-Ace. Only Motoi Sakuraba, Shinji Tamura and Eiji Kikuchi remained with Wolf Team after this breakup. Wolf Team kept developing the Tales games for Namco, and did some sports games on the side for Telenet Japan.

In 2003, the remains of Wolf Team were dissolved, and the remaining staff were transferred into a new subsidiary known as Namco Tales Studio, and develops the series for its financier and publisher, Namco.

Arcus is an old first person dungeon crawler. There’s a yuge 100x100 grid desert and ice area where you need find chit, but at least in PC88 version the locations are not randomized which would truly be hell.

Like Slayers, your characters’ stats and equipment don’t change throughout the game. You also don’t gain gold from fighting monsters so it’s pointless to fight at all. Enemies only serve as an irritant when mapping a dungeon. In Slayers at least it was fun to roflstomp the enemies in various ways, here it’s more of a run-from-combat simulator.

It is a low magic setting, the entire game comes down to finding artifacts so you can cast magic.

Regardless of the lack of leveling at the end awaits a black dragon with instagib flame breath if you’re unlucky. You need to use the acquired magic to beat the dragon but it still mostly comes down to dumb luck.

TyJdA8Q.gif

558A3it.gif

1EoTPiM.gif

bgTBqtO.gif

qY80s6x.gif

TuQIKJb.gif

ehRaQkl.gif

dKpPw90.gif

dXlrM16.gif

qDk6wPS.gif

Y63DORK.gif

AX0hg6P.gif

kZKd5WF.gif

ehZqW9s.gif

ZZViMVb.gif

OrQQzC4.gif

CkyeUM8.gif

ZZePLiJ.gif

5TNGMaf.gif

XEEqM3N.gif

jcws5IX.gif

4Vzqyq4.gif

4YmAhYg.gif

udH5kDw.gif

rQGixS4.gif

qRFKvHR.gif

Played Arcus II by Wolf Team (1989).

UQbwpkA.jpg

wCVKkyk.jpg

This is the game with the hilarious intro.

T79rVnM.gif

It takes place ten years after the first with Pikto the half-elf as protagonist, who was only a boy in the first game. You meet the other characters from the first game.

It is no longer a first person dungeon crawler. You can now see the enemies roaming on the map, but still no leveling and no reason to fight much at all. In combat you can target body parts as most enemies have a weak point. But this time you can only have two party members.

At the end awaits another dumb luck boss. He has to be beaten by casting a spell that is literally called “Fin”. It takes some turns to be able to cast the spell as combat always starts with low willpower and it can only be raised by having your party members use the encourage command on main character – but if the boss takes them out…

Eb2hvpM.gif

fdtr7mE.gif

z7HToO2.gif

dQbCpaB.gif

v8bKDH0.gif

uy3JNuq.gif

gTqjFDv.gif

C7mNsbh.gif

qC8bbGe.gif

oQNtu6N.gif

qcgKcDn.gif

jYIzQQI.gif

YlFF8RW.gif

YKEsOvy.gif

t8I3d7d.gif

pGZrIbb.gif

3xmsYyl.gif

b48rs2K.gif

9iXvnjz.gif

GvzItT3.gif

UPBt6nF.gif

1aoLfrP.gif

Hkuq1Zc.gif

y7bVRaw.gif

NkZmF3B.gif

Played Arcus 3 by Wolf Team (1991).

It takes place two years after Arcus 2.

Finally there’s leveling! And you revisit some dungeons of the first game.

The Elven bowgurl from second game is now slutty blue-haired waifu, but no clue what happened to the Dorf and thief gurl.

I ran into a game breaking bug at the end of a dungeon: an event didn’t trigger. I read later that you aren’t allowed to leave this dungeon after entering or the bug triggers.

2eA0T32.gif

Serves me right for playing something with phagot elf protagonist.

XVrrhom.gif

jsQfxRq.gif

zO7QMtc.gif

NX3YJdW.gif

Fi65KNk.gif

00ICgVD.gif

Yfs5fDl.gif

VzDFB6I.gif

e631lKW.gif

aC2B9TO.gif

aPEPcoh.gif

QthrMbe.gif

HaX4ZWW.gif

cb8NNPu.gif

F8FL6Da.gif

FCuAFqu.gif

DCjhWzJ.gif

ONZqIFK.gif

Pc8KAFR.gif

j5sCOFQ.gif

Arcus I.II.III for Mega CD (1993) remake features the three Arcus games in one (with the second one a first person dungeon crawler as well) and has leveling up from the very beginning but the dungeons are extremely simplified and the combat is slow and boring compared to the originals. Not really worth playing even for the cinematics.

This is a p. weird series as a whole. There’s also an action popamole featuring the four adult characters of the first game in a completely unrelated story.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
Just discovered this thread. Impressive job.

Would it be possible to machine translate some of those, or am i doomed to learn how to read moonrunes in order to have a grasp about what's happening ?

Endemic

Arcane
Would it be possible to machine translate some of those, or am i doomed to learn how to read moonrunes in order to have a grasp about what's happening ?

Text capture tools/software will give you a workable translation. I can't remember the specific ones for PC98 emulation off-hand.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just discovered this thread. Impressive job.

So long you can run the emulator windowed using Capture2Text + DeepL desktop app will let you like understand 70% of the stuff on screen so long they are not some complicated sentences or related to poem and such.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I played the PC Engine version of Alshark (1994).

The PC Engine version of Emerald Dragon added some new stuff but this is a 1-1 remake.

It’s been a while since I played PC version but leveling seemed to be much faster also much easier to get money and scrap (scrap is needed to have Scrap Joe create weapon, armor, engines, etc.)

Party AI is probably much better than PC version too.

I think it's the best version.

Za35b1F.jpg

u1XnFHc.jpg

DO4Je0I.jpg

7XeEo4t.jpg

mbY3grd.jpg

I8ZEeUB.jpg

FkTHV1D.jpg

8KUF4vM.jpg

q2b5Mu9.jpg

bvqIwUW.jpg

FIB3T8V.jpg

IGaxQtv.jpg

LnFb6KG.jpg

KbTFmhI.jpg

ymd0cC6.jpg

DNZuYXc.jpg

tNYlkcJ.jpg

bE5ikcD.jpg

hx42v2h.jpg

ybnC8un.jpg

Ekp2jHl.jpg

5wK3V9P.jpg

Q5JmzMS.jpg

vVjMKpl.jpg

30Q4ICI.jpg

EG1lLX3.jpg

MdCFPsq.jpg

a5Pqu0p.jpg

Ks1mCxy.jpg

zrji47f.jpg

UT2KvX2.jpg

BVuRr79.jpg

G20JfQ6.jpg

MC9Xaol.jpg

5kO1PeB.jpg

OTtp211.jpg

x1alORb.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom