Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis Remastered

Divinity: Original Sin
I haven't watched the video yet, but in the article he goes on and on about 60fps being IMPOSSIBLE in the game. I guess he means at 4k or something, because at 1440p it's very possible if you turn down the settings. Medium is basically the equivalent of very high in the original for things like foliage density and draw distance, and with shadows and vegetation on medium and no ray tracing I don't think I ever saw RTSS show lower than 60fps. Any of that on high murders the framerate though. In the original turning objects down to high from very high got me a locked 60 in three levels now, the LOD thing set to 0 even.

If he's only talking 4k I wish these content creators would stop focusing on it so much. I know they have 4k monitors because they edit 4k video and have 2080tis, but 4k is literally 2% of the market according to the Steam survey.

Actually in high and very high. even in 1080p.

In medium, it's possible, and it's close to the original very high. But vegetation distance is a bit lower compared to the original.

The problem is similar to the first crysis, in which the bottleneck is CPU core usage.

EDIT: in very high, even in 720p on a core i910900k/rtx3080, no ray tracing, it dips below 60 fps

Last edited:
in very high, even in 720p on a core i910900k/rtx3080, no ray tracing, it dips below 60 fps

That's just a joke and shows how incompetent that team must be.

Well, that joke could be on crytek team.

Well, actually goes to 57, but that is enough for a locked 60 fps being impossible on very high.

Worth mentioning is that they're evaluating considering some parameters: The game must run at locked 60 FPS and having graphical settings that should be an improvement over the original. The thing is that foliage at medium in remastered is a bit less than what it is in the original at very high. And many tests were made using a prerecorded game section as a benchmark, and try the diferent settings.

They even say that at medium you can get locked 120 FPS on 1080p.

In any case, I wouldnt buy it because some features are missing and are better in the original, and also, no warhead remastered so it's kind of a pointless remake.

JDR13

Arcane
and also, no warhead remastered so it's kind of a pointless remake.

That's an issue for me as well. I feel like I'm only seeing half of the story without Warhead.

Sure, you could just play Crysis Remastered and then play Crysis Warhead, but considering how old the originals are, I feel they should have been remastered as a package.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I could see the "can it run crysis" setting being for future PCs as a lark, like Ubisoft's extremely taxing ultra settings. Very high should absolutely hit 60fps on a top tier card though, even at fucking 4k. And if the CPU is still the bottleneck, it probably never will. What a clusterfuck.

Luckily the game is worse than the original anyway. Put Objects at "high" in the original and enjoy 60fps, forget the remake exists.

retinoid

Savant
So that's yet another remaster into the trash pile.

Crysis should have been the easiest remaster in the world given the game still holds up in a lot of areas. Just add some optimization tweaks and maybe a few more settings while keeping the artistic vision of the original intact and you've got yourself a solid remaster. But somehow Crytek/Sabre couldn't even manage that. "Can it run Crysis" mode might just be the biggest joke I've ever seen, literally all they did was create the most unoptimized CFG tweaks which completely overload the engine and thus is completely useless for any Benchmarking purposes because the software itself can't keep up with the settings. Modded Oblivion has the same problem, even on a 10900k and a 3080 you'll NEVER get 60fps in heavy areas at low resolutions because you have utterly overloaded what the engine is capable of processing.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So they are making some blurry console garbage that doesn't run well on PC hardware only because the programming is shit. Lol why the fuck bother. Ho yeah, console faggots will buy it in droves on their muh PS5. Like, such SSD, wow.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Watched that DF video and kudos to him for showing some of the stylistic differences that make the original look better (at least IMO). DF usually tries to be overly positive, but you can tell in that video (like the Outer Worlds on Switch video) they're barely containing their annoyance.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane

Actually seeing it in motion it looks a lot better than I originally feared.

Also, I think a lot of people are forgetting the massive downgrade crysis took from announcement to release. There is a lot of hideous parts in Crysis 1 where it looks like it's missing a rendering pass.

Still not buying it though, no warhead = no good.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Actually seeing it in motion it looks a lot better than I originally feared.

Pretty good comparison video. The indoor stuff is objectively better looking, but outdoors it really depends on what you're looking for. As he says, outdoors it looks like a photoshopped and over-saturated marketing photo for a tropical vacation instead of the realism of the original. If that sounds good to you, you might like its look more than me.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The new stuff they added to the engine like the global illumination and raytraced reflections do indeed make the game look much better, especially in indoor environments that were never a strong part in Crysis (even when i first played it back in the day i remember thinking that indoor environments often looked too flat). Sadly the changes in lighting and especially assets make the overall look worse.

What would be nice if somehow these effects would be added to the original Crysis. Or someone converted the original Crysis assets to the Remastered, though considering it has no modding tools this might not be as easy (not that adding GI and RT shadows on the original Crysis will be easy...).

In any case the best would be a combination of the two :-P.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I wonder what a reshade profile could do to tone down the crazy green and make it look more realistic. I normally don't use programs like that because I dislike post-processing and changing the intent, but in this case it could be interesting to try and match the original.

JDR13

Arcane
What would be nice if somehow these effects would be added to the original Crysis. Or someone converted the original Crysis assets to the Remastered, though considering it has no modding tools this might not be as easy (not that adding GI and RT shadows on the original Crysis will be easy...)

Someone will do that, and it'll run at 17 fps on an RTX 3090. :)

Unwanted

†††

Patron
p9Mb4Sr.jpg

This youtuber has a direct comparison series, obviously he would do it for crysis. Although he doesn't show the ridiculous korean soldier looking at the sky while grabbed, he points other differences that weren't shown, side-by-side, and comparing some weapon sounds.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
He makes good videos, I'll watch it tomorrow. He seems to have skipped Re-Reckoning, which bugs me.

Playing Crysis through again (the original) reminds me of what a great game it is and how annoying the "it's boring" people are. Maybe you have to be into being a stalking predator, which I very much am, but the game pulls that off so excellently. Slowly moving through a dark jungle, taking out soldiers with laser sights while popping in and out of cloak mode... so satisfying. Then there's a chopper you can't shake and you can either find rockets to blow it up or play cat and mouse to the exit. Then you get loaded right into an open war area better than anything Call of Duty did in the 13 years since it came out. So good.

Kainan

Learned
He makes good videos, I'll watch it tomorrow. He seems to have skipped Re-Reckoning, which bugs me.

Playing Crysis through again (the original) reminds me of what a great game it is and how annoying the "it's boring" people are. Maybe you have to be into being a stalking predator, which I very much am, but the game pulls that off so excellently. Slowly moving through a dark jungle, taking out soldiers with laser sights while popping in and out of cloak mode... so satisfying. Then there's a chopper you can't shake and you can either find rockets to blow it up or play cat and mouse to the exit. Then you get loaded right into an open war area better than anything Call of Duty did in the 13 years since it came out. So good.
The problem is that Far Cry did all that better. Crysis simply doesnt offer any chalange whatsoever. Great gfx but thats about it.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Far Cry is having sex for the very first time with a gorgeous XX-year-old.

Crysis is having sex with the same XX-year-old who is now 26 and wearing a whole lot more makeup.

In Crysis Remastered we're way past the expiration date and instead of makeup, she's using polyester filler.

schru

Arcane
Isn't the game shit because of mutants though? Never played it, but i hear people complain about that constantly.
Far Cry was the one with mutants and contrary to what many people say, they were pretty fun enemies. Crysis has the boring flying squid aliens.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The problem is that Far Cry did all that better. Crysis simply doesnt offer any chalange whatsoever. Great gfx but thats about it.

My memories of Far Cry are of it being kinda goofy and cumbersome, plus graphics matter more when immersion is a big part of the goal. I need to replay it though.

schru

Arcane
Except mutants in FC1 exist only to make the 2nd half of the game complete bullshit as they are the definition of "bullet sponge"... :M
They seem so at first, but they can actually be killed quickly with bursts to the head, but they're hard to hit due to their movement patterns. The only ones that do take a lot of damage are the big ones with rocket launchers. I think Far Cry is fairly remarkable precisely because it combines challenging and deadly enemies with this semi-realistic shooter style.

My memories of Far Cry are of it being kinda goofy and cumbersome, plus graphics matter more when immersion is a big part of the goal. I need to replay it though.
I'm not completely sure of it, but it's probably best not to use the 64-bit patch, despite the visual improvements. When I tried it it seemed like a number of scripts controlling enemy encounters were broken.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
If you're going to play Far Cry 1 be sure to use the GOG version with the latest Enemy A.I. patch, otherwise the game is broken and every enemy can instantly see you from far away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom