Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Classic RPGs -are- murderhobo simulators.
And that is very bad, because even in the rulebooks it is said that starting from some level a fighter owns a castle and can raise his own levies. This aspect has always been missing in CRPG's, and only our Moscow overlords rectified it.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Do one thing really well instead of wasting dev. time, resources, etc. on a bunch of extraneous crap attempting to please all people. There was a very solid tactical combat system married to a deep RPG with good storytelling. Stop there! Even that is an accomplishment in the decline of 2020. Why the need to once again add more?

I turned Kingdom off very shortly into the game realizing that it was a half-baked useless system. Now we are trying to put a HOMM strategic layer in? Why Owlcat, why? Stick to the devil you know instead of summoning armies of unfamiliar devils to jack up your game...

How can you “realize” something that isn’t real?

Hurr, durr, I quickly realized I could see perfectly well with one eye so I gouged out the other. Therefore VR games are stupid.

Congratulations, brain genius, you missed out on the better part of the (generally outstanding) itemization in P:K (which is gated behind KM) and thus a lot of the tactical variety, not to mention a good chunk of the quest/plots.

Yeah, they dropped the KM ball at the end but you couldn’t have known that at the beginning if you weren’t listening to other retards who gave it up without even understanding how it worked or what it was for.

This time there’s a comprehensive tutorial to hold your hand through it, so no worries. Full speed ahead with epic game to inspire more epic games!

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Side management has always been in part of some of the AP in Pathfinder. Kingdom Management in PfK. Not really sure about Crusades management in original WoR. THe 2nd AP in Pathfinder 2e has Circus Management.

Honestly these things give much flavor to the game that you are not just playing murder hobo simulator which is nice. And while it can be annoying in PfK, in the end of the day the Kingdom Management was just really simple resources management and skill checks, not much different than you would do in a normal game anyway.

The Crusades mechanic in WoR seemingly try to fix what people dislike about PfK Kingdom Management namely annoying problem and opportunities. Instead we will have HOMM lite in the game.

So far, the HOMM lite is. somewhat fine. The problem lies within pace breaking aspect to it. While KM in PfK was really fast (just assign advisors to some problems) in WoR you need to pool resources, buy troops, have them walk the map to join your main rank etc. They really should fix that.

The HOMM style combat is OK. It is once again very simple. I guess it is partly closer to mix between HOMM 2 and 3 with how simple it is currently, but I am expecting more polish in the future.

All in all, currently bad pacing aside, I think it is a fun breakaway from the core gameplay loop. Hopefully they ironed out the pace breaking issue (give a bit more resources early, make troop walk faster in "safe" area cleared out of demon, etc), give more troop varieties, balance it out a bit, and it should be fun.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Now, Owlcat, once you finish this, make Hell's Rebels and show BioWare how a story centred around a single city should look like. Also Resistance Management please.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Resistance Management please.
Why there is no status with hammer and sickle?
Hammer_and_sickle.svg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I've only reached early chapter 3, so here are my early impressions. It's grid based, you recruit units. You can assign heroes who cast spells, your units also have abilities. Archers can get rapid shot(better pick it when you level up, it's that good), Hellknights and Paladins can smite. etc (Paladins can also heal) So far from what I've played the four units we have available is Hellknights, Paladins, Infantry and Archers. Infantry is you standard meat shield, Hellknights are your bruiser up front fighters and paladins are more or less support with good melee capabilities. Archers are your dps, so far Archers are so good that I'm mainly spamming them along with Hellknights. So far, what makes the mode interesting to me is the enemy variety, since you fight enemies in the game, they also can cast spells. So I expect the higher tier fights to be pretty interesting, instead of the face-roll early game battles. Also, clearing certain battles rewards you magical items and exp.

Sounds like barebone HoMM, something you play on facebook. Kingdom management was no different, facebook level.

The more garbage nonsense they add like this, the more they weaken the core RPG gameplay. Idk if it's Paizo or whoever that is demanding these features, but Owlcat are quickly establishing themselves as kings of feature bloat.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I've only reached early chapter 3, so here are my early impressions. It's grid based, you recruit units. You can assign heroes who cast spells, your units also have abilities. Archers can get rapid shot(better pick it when you level up, it's that good), Hellknights and Paladins can smite. etc (Paladins can also heal) So far from what I've played the four units we have available is Hellknights, Paladins, Infantry and Archers. Infantry is you standard meat shield, Hellknights are your bruiser up front fighters and paladins are more or less support with good melee capabilities. Archers are your dps, so far Archers are so good that I'm mainly spamming them along with Hellknights. So far, what makes the mode interesting to me is the enemy variety, since you fight enemies in the game, they also can cast spells. So I expect the higher tier fights to be pretty interesting, instead of the face-roll early game battles. Also, clearing certain battles rewards you magical items and exp.

Sounds like barebone HoMM, something you play on facebook. Kingdom management was no different, facebook level.

The more garbage nonsense they add like this, the more they weaken the core RPG gameplay. Idk if it's Paizo or whoever that is demanding these features, but Owlcat are quickly establishing themselves as kings of feature bloat.

Pillars of Eternity clung to your precious "RPG core gameplay" for dear life, and you shat on it. Good for Owlcat for ignoring bad advice of nostalgia-ridden cynics.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
The more garbage nonsense they add like this, the more they weaken the core RPG gameplay.

PfK is 100-hours+ core RPG gameplay. Cut Kingdom Management from that and yo get maybe I don't know, 5 hours of clicking through menu? Probably less

The budget of making simple UI for it is way too low to affect the basegame whatsoever. Kingdom Management in PfK is literally just skill checks and can be done easily (albeit with more clicking) just through normal dialogue menu (yes, including the building stuff which are exceedingly simple they might as well scrap the building map all-together as most Kingdom attributes increase past 2nd chapter are dependent more on skill checks result).

WoR is way more ambitious sure, but they also have more budget, actually repurposed engine. From people in Discord, finishing Chapter 3 can easily take 30 - 40 hours not to mention replayability through different Mythic Paths.

I am not even sure at this point how much core gameplay do you want from the game.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
PfK is 100-hours+ core RPG gameplay.

It is not. It's some kind of awkward 4X/RPG hybrid gameplay. You manage advisors, resources. There is no traditional quest structure either, but automated time attacks. It is a cadaver, an abomination.

Just like the sequel will be -- a little bit of Civ, a little bit of HoMM, etc. Stretch goal fodder. This is why these games nowadays can never measure up to the classics. They lack purity of vision.

I am not even sure at this point how much core gameplay do you want from the game.

I don't want anything from the game. It is a good litmus test and should exist for reference.

Last edited:

Ulfhednar

Savant
Pillars was creating and playtesting it's own custom ruleset. Owlcat went with an established ruleset, and now can spend their development of the second game on content and sequencing. They can probably spare a few ppl to work on in-game HoMM...

Tyroth Gideon

Novice
Guys, first the kingdom management is part of the ap they are basing the game off of, second they said that the second Pathfinder game they made would be in the same vein as Kingmaker in the management aspects and such, long before it became known that it would be Wrath of the Righteous and Mythic Path Shenanigans.

bec de corbin

Educated
PfK is 100-hours+ core RPG gameplay.

It is not. It's some kind of awkward 4X/RPG hybrid gameplay. There is no traditional quest structure either, but automated time attacks. It is a cadaver, an abomination.

Just like the sequel will be -- a little bit of Civ, a little bit of HoMM, etc. Stretch goal fodder. This is why these games nowadays can never measure up to the classics. They lack purity of vision.

I don't want anything from the game. It is a good litmus test and should exist for reference.
Fallout 1 has timed quests, so it's also an abomination I guess

Shadenuat

Arcane
the thing about traditional RPG gameplay vs extra is that it wasn't really done indepth as much as people believe. there is more to adventuring than combat system: preparing supplies, traveling to quest tolkien-style through all the tolkienesque landscapes, harrased by (meaningful) encounters, choosing right approach for the dungeon, a lot of resource management, finding, storing loot and loot getting stolen from you, party arguing with a lot of character consequences and you do not get to go back and rest - DM, usually, wouldn't allow you to, and if you would, quest failed.

aside from combat application of the system and occasional skil check and an alternative path through (another kind of) trash mobs, developers don't usually simulate what is the real d&d adventure. they can't even make non-combat spells useful usually. so when I see another unnecessary mechanic on top of unnecessary mechanic while the basics are still not there I just shrug eh heroes ok

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I hope their next game has a farming mechanic. Something like harvest moon. Could be cool. I'm excited about HoMM in my pathfinder. Two great concept combined.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
has anyone with alpha access solved the puzzle for the Radiance sword?
The one with the lights/runes?
Yes:
Earlier in the dungeon there are 4 portraits in a row on a wall.
These 4 portraits are different colours.
The sequence for the door is these colours.
I forget what they are though I do recall that you use the same colour twice in the sequence.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Luj1, as a person, is exactly like Fluent, except the complete polar opposite. Allow me to explain:

Fluent liked everything, except a few things. Luj hates everything, and likes very few things, that make him a hipster even here.
Fluent was a creep stalking women. Luj is 100% gay.
Fluent was 100% American coked up lunatic. Luj is 100% Slav backtrack.
Fluent went out in a blaze of glory by making the very thread that sealed his fate. Luj stalks the threads of the games he doesn't like (which is all of them) like the Ghost of Xmas past.

The fun part is that unlike Fluent, if you have Luj on ignore, the thread completely makes sense even without reading his input.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The one with the lights/runes?
Yes:
Earlier in the dungeon there are 4 portraits in a row on a wall.
These 4 portraits are different colours.
The sequence for the door is these colours.
I forget what they are though I do recall that you use the same colour twice in the sequence.

If I remember correctly, it's brown, blue, red, brown. Although it could be brown, red, blue, brown too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom