Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's your favorite fantasy RPG class?

My favorite class is...

• Barbarian

Votes: 10 6.2%
  • Bard

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Cleric

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • Druid

Votes: 12 7.4%
  • Fighter

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Monk

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Paladin

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • Ranger

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Rogue

Votes: 18 11.1%
  • Sorceror

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Warlock

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Wizard

Votes: 24 14.8%
  • My favorite class isn't listed (post)

Votes: 10 6.2%
  • I don't really have a favorite class

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I don't actually like fantasy RPGs very much

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Assuming a relatively balanced game, what's your favorite class to play in a fantasy RPG and why? I just used the DnD core classes for the poll, as I'm really talking about fantasy d20 systems here but if your favorite isn't a core class just say.

I like to play clerics myself, particularly of the necromantic variety. I like clerics because I think in a world of magic and miracles it's a little lame to not have any powers yourself, but I hate the idea of not actually being able to fight physically at all as with most arcane classes. I go necromancer because I like playing sinister (but not evil) characters, so usually some variant of neutral alignment but worshipping an evil deity. Paladins are pretty fun too, as they fit the bill as being something more than just a regular mortal but still able to fight pretty well but I'd say I like Clerics a bit better because of their flexibility from both a mechanical and RP POV.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I've played a fighter, pally, ranger, and mage, and the mage is my favorite. There's a lot I can do in and out of combat.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Fantasy postulates the existence of magic. If you love fantasy, then why would you not be a mage? That's the core of the whole thing. If you want to be a fighter, you can just join an MMA club and be a fighter here and now. What you can't do is cast spells.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There is something about punching people in the face in a world where mages can nuke you and warriors have magical swords that is so satisfying. Monk all the way when they are available.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Sorcerers. They're innate casters, not losers like the wizards who read dusty old tomes all day.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Fantasy postulates the existence of magic. If you love fantasy, then why would you not be a mage? That's the core of the whole thing. If you want to be a fighter, you can just join an MMA club and be a fighter here and now. What you can't do is cast spells.
I can't be a bard either. I tried.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I can't be a bard either. I tried.
Why not? It just takes 10+ years of hard work.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
3.x: Barbarian. If full Barbarian, leap attack/pounce. If allowed to multiclass/dip/PrC, unarmed/natural attack for RIP AND TEAR.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
3.x: Barbarian. If full Barbarian, leap attack/pounce. If allowed to multiclass/dip/PrC, unarmed/natural attack for RIP AND TEAR.
It's not just about combat, it's about the lifestyle as well. Good luck shitting in the woods your whole life.

krilcebre

Learned
I always preferred a Fighter class, there's something about using physical weapons and knocking heads left and right in a world filled with magic and magic users that's really satisfying.

V_K

Arcane
In the DnD system, Druid - shapeshift, summon beasts, talk to trees and reshape terrain. Plain fun.
Otherwise, a properly implemented psionicist - it's immensely satisfying to watch crazed enemies massacre each other while you're levitating above them cloaked with invisibility.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
It's not just about combat, it's about the lifestyle as well. Good luck shitting in the woods your whole life.
Ha! Little wizard not know what leaves to use for wipe. Little wizard scared of shitting in woods. Barbarian deliberately shits in front of as many creatures as possible, and rolls Intimidate while doing it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It always - ALWAYS - depends on the game.

Baldur's Gate (1 & 2): Fighter, there's no way I'm playing anything else
Icewind Dale 1: Fighter, Mage as close second, Bard as third
Icewind Dale 2: Sorcerer, Druid as close second, Cleric as third
Kingmaker: Paladin, Druid as close second
PoE (1 & 2): Druid

Falksi

Arcane
From a practical perspective, it totally depends on the game and what's most fun to play. In Baldur's Gate I enjoyed being a steath based ranger, in Dragon Age a DW rogue & mage, in Divinity 2:Eco Draconis a Battlemage etc.

I voted Ranger, because generally I enjoy ranged combat, the affinity with nature, and animal companions. But it really is easy to answer which classes I don't enjoy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom