Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft acquires Bethesda/Zenimax

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I mean, their CEO literally said what I'm saying in that quote. If you want to argue Sega fits their usual brand then fine, but arguing they're looking to expand what they're known for is literally arguing against what the CEO just said they're doing.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
Yeah,i am sure that the world is trembling with expectation for the remake of some 32bit shitty console game. Grow up,only serial killer authists are play such games lol. People don't care about obsolete consoles from 30 years ago lol.
lot of fucking cope over not getting a NES for Christmas there

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It fits probably because. It can complement where MS is severely lacking (Japanese games, JRPGs, Japanese and Asian market [where Xbox has been utterly failed at])

Yeah but they've gone that route before and gotten nowhere, and I'm pretty sure they're on record as saying they basically gave up. The CEO says directly above they're bolstering what people associate with Xbox, I think Sega would be a massive waste of money.

Xbox will be the premiere show in Tokyo Game Show's livestream schedule. Whether it will be about SEGA or not, they didn't give up. Also I don't really see what he's saying is about keeping Xbox in specific genres.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It fits probably because. It can complement where MS is severely lacking (Japanese games, JRPGs, Japanese and Asian market [where Xbox has been utterly failed at]) and bolster where one of the areas MS is striving for (PC games with long playtime like Football Manager and Total War).

SEGA is interesting. It was once a console manufacturer that old console gamers from both Asia and West fondly remember. And unlike other big Japanese publishers that are mostly specialized in certain genres, it's established (although not as specialized) in a wide range of genres. Also it has Sonic, one of the most iconic characters in video games.

Again, I have doubts about acquisition, but a big partnership like second party treatment (timed or permeant exclusives and simultaneous GamePass release for many titles) and SEGA branded Xbox in Japan wouldn't be surprising.
Ahh in my opinion it will be mistake to buy sega,it is overextending and pouring money in a market that they have little experience in. It would be a lot better to buy like 5 indi western studios that make jrpg like games. To pierce in to another market is needed quite the sharpness and creativity,that corporations mostly lack. There is a shit ton of corporation/firms that died because they overstretched and poured too much money in to shit they have no idea about. Not saying that MC will keel over and die,but it could cripple their game department and such. Most of the IPs that sega own are pretty much outdated and irrelevant. Sonic was a thing two decades ago,now it is popular among furry retards lol. No point in buying a franchise which's glory days are far over. Same as Tomb Rider and Deus ex. And from the looks of things the guy ahead of this expansion is thinking like me,he bought manly studious that produce new IPs. If you buy 10 studios that produce new things,there is a chance that one of them could shit up the new fortnight or dota or what eva.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah,i am sure that the world is trembling with expectation for the remake of some 32bit shitty console game. Grow up,only serial killer authists are play such games lol. People don't care about obsolete consoles from 30 years ago lol.
lot of fucking cope over not getting a NES for Christmas there
Oh yeah,i am crying meself every night for wasting me time kneading tits and drinking with chads,instead of playing shitty platformers. Oh woe is me!

J1M

Arcane
It fits probably because. It can complement where MS is severely lacking (Japanese games, JRPGs, Japanese and Asian market [where Xbox has been utterly failed at]) and bolster where one of the areas MS is striving for (PC games with long playtime like Football Manager and Total War).

SEGA is interesting. It was once a console manufacturer that old console gamers from both Asia and West fondly remember. And unlike other big Japanese publishers that are mostly specialized in certain genres, it's established (although not as specialized) in a wide range of genres. Also it has Sonic, one of the most iconic characters in video games.

Again, I have doubts about acquisition, but a big partnership like second party treatment (timed or permeant exclusives and simultaneous GamePass release for many titles) and SEGA branded Xbox in Japan wouldn't be surprising.
Ahh in my opinion it will be mistake to buy sega,it is overextending and pouring money in a market that they have little experience in. It would be a lot better to buy like 5 indi western studios that make jrpg like games. To pierce in to another market is needed quite the sharpness and creativity,that corporations mostly lack. There is a shit ton of corporation/firms that died because they overstretched and poured too much money in to shit they have no idea about. Not saying that MC will keel over and die,but it could cripple their game department and such. Most of the IPs that sega own are pretty much outdated and irrelevant. Sonic was a thing two decades ago,now it is popular among furry retards lol. No point in buying a franchise which's glory days are far over. Same as Tomb Rider and Deus ex. And from the looks of things the guy ahead of this expansion is thinking like me,he bought manly studious that produce new IPs. If you buy 10 studios that produce new things,there is a chance that one of them could shit up the new fortnight or dota or what eva.
These acquisitions are about getting people to choose an Xbox over a Playstation. New IP can't do that like well-known franchises can.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Buying SEGA wouldn't just give Microsoft weeb games. They'd get some western studios, too. Amplitude of Endless fame and more importantly Creative Assembly for Total War.

Plus some of the games that SEGA makes are critical to Sony's success (Persona). Sometimes it's not just about what you get but what you deprive from your competition.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
They'd get some western studios, too. Amplitude of Endless fame and more importantly Creative Assembly for Total War.
Also don't forget CA worked on Halo Wars which gives them strategic reasons for buying Sega. Generally its a rule with microsoft that they buy any collaborators. Sega has been a long collaborator with Microsoft excluding of course the blatantly stupid move of turning down the original Xbox.
Sega is Japans distributor for Xbox. It makes a lot of sense to buy them.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
It's all about the money and everything is shit as a result. News at 11.
Minimum viable product, maximum profit. Shit out a mediocre sequel to whatever, idiot fanboys will still buy it. Even better, the idiot fanboys will screech at anyone who badmouths it.

But couldn't they just make good games, you ask? Fuck you. You know how much it costs to create a QUALITY PRODUCT? (Ignore those well-done fanprojects, we're going to sue them and steal their ideas to implement poorly in paid DLC anyway.)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You know how much it costs to create a QUALITY PRODUCT? (Ignore those well-done fanprojects, we're going to sue them and steal their ideas to implement poorly in paid DLC anyway.)
In AAA world, the cost of a quality product and a shitty product would be almost the same. The difference is the effort and the people working on it. If they hire designers/artists who are SJW infested diversity quotas, they will make shitty product. While for the same money they could hire some talented bloke, who just happens to be s straight while male (or even female). Most of the AAA budget goes to marketing anyway, regardless of the quality of the product.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Quality is bound to go down when creative endeavours become too big, whether you have an army of geniuses or and army of SJW hacks working on it.

The problem is to do with the fact that they are employing said armies. Its completely unnecessary. Most of the franchises they're working on only had teams of 10-20 people originally.

I don't think Sega fits the MS style and brand. As their CEO said above, they're buying stuff that fits what is seen as the Xbox type of game... Western action RPGs, FPS games, etc. I mean I'm not a console guy so maybe I'm making that up, but when I think of Xbox exclusives from all generations that kind of stuff is what comes to mind.

That has always kind of been the image of the Xbox, and I'm sure that has to do with them bringing in so much stuff that would have previously been PC games from western developers with the original Xbox. But, the original Xbox also had a lot of Sega exclusives too. Stuff like Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Crazy Taxi 3, the North American release of Shenmue 2, FromSoftware's Otogi games, Metal Wolf Chaos, House of the Dead 3, Gunvalkyrie, and OutRun 2 were all exclusive. Because Sony of America had a weird rule about 2D games, SNK games like Metal Slug 3 ended up as exclusive to the Xbox in the west; that version is still the best version of it too, later releases are missing some stuff it's got. If it wasn't a bundle, at least in America, SNK games ended up being Xbox exclusives. Not Japanese, but they also had the Kingdom Under Fire games.

360 also ended up being the system to own of you're into shoot 'em ups. It's also when stuff that previously would have been exclusive to PlayStation started showing up on Microsoft's system, and while not exclusive, because of how the PS3 was built the 360 ended up being the preferred platform for those games.

Lately Microsoft has been working with Sega closely again. Microsoft is the one that finally brought Phantasy Star Online 2 to the west, they showed off the newest Yakuza game during one of their Xbox Series X shows, Sega owned Relic Entertainment is making Age of Empires 4. And like I said, getting Sega would give them tons of content. That could possibly allow them to say they're adding hundreds of new games to Game Pass that will always be there. It would also give them the Total War series exclusively for Game Pass on PC. Now that stuff about them working more closely with Sega doesn't mean the rumor isn't bullshit, could just be something to build a fake rumor off of, but the rumor isn't exactly something that doesn't ring true either.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You know how much it costs to create a QUALITY PRODUCT? (Ignore those well-done fanprojects, we're going to sue them and steal their ideas to implement poorly in paid DLC anyway.)
In AAA world, the cost of a quality product and a shitty product would be almost the same. The difference is the effort and the people working on it. If they hire designers/artists who are SJW infested diversity quotas, they will make shitty product. While for the same money they could hire some talented bloke, who just happens to be s straight while male (or even female). Most of the AAA budget goes to marketing anyway, regardless of the quality of the product.
So is in any other industry,it is not like people sit down and say "ok lads, lets make a shitty products.". Even sjw think that they are creating a masterpiece lol.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's actually really good news, because if Microsoft imprisons bethesda in the Xbox ghetto (or even better, makes ES6 Gamepass exclusive!) Elder Scrolls will finally die and someone else can step in to fill the demand.

Making TES6 gamepass only would only result in a massive gamepass subscription boost, which is what MS wants. If there's one thing 40 years of home gaming history shows it's that people will do what they have to in order to play the games they really want to play.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Making TES6 gamepass only would only result in a massive gamepass subscription boost, which is what MS wants. If there's one thing 40 years of home gaming history shows it's that people will do what they have to in order to play the games they really want to play.

Generally that's true. Steam was launched with the hype for a single game. Not sure how well it's working out for Epic though.

The thing here though is people like to own their games. They like a back library of titles they can thumb through and play whenever they want. Gamefly is still around, costs a reasonable price, and lets you play any game you want. Why hasn't it completely killed the rest of the market?

Right now Gamepass seems like a good deal. When cable TV first came out it was a pretty good deal. Lots of content, no commercials, low price. Now look at it. Pay through the nose, commercials everywhere, content is all crap, everything good costs extra. If a new hot movie was released on cable only, would you sign up just for that?

Look at Disney+. All the great disney content. Beautiful. Then Mulan comes out. $30, plus subscription. GTFO of here. A bluray costs less than that. Do you think Mulan added subs or cancelled them? I wonder.

Look at Kindle Unlimited. Great value, if you go by number of books. But everything there is crap. All of it. No good books come on on KU, because any good author can charge a premium. The content is commoditized, the profits all go to Amazon.

If TES 6 comes out on Gamepass, will MS give it away to existing subs? Lol. They already have that money, something has to pay for that 7.5 billion dollars. Expect some kind of 'gamepass premium' where people have to pay extra to get the game, just like Mulan. So the benefit of gamepass is nothing; you're just paying an extra fee to access your own library of games. That's why all subscription services are doomed to either become dumping grounds for trash like KU (and soon to be Netflix) or a nightmare of gouging and tiered content like Cable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom