Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sunlight is sadly something neglected in many games... Modders does a far better job with it than big companies. There are mods which adds sun damage to skyrim vampirism, on returning 2.0, if you have no resistance to heat, walking in the Adanos desert during the night can make you not become thirsty frequently and taking constant heat damage. The mod for BG2 which includes a complete homebrew shadow magic, has you while exposed to daylight with a penalty on casting time and caster level.

And dealing with penalties is a core pillar of a RPG. Low int runs of FL 1/2 aren't optional but are fun. Nosferatus suffers way more than any other clan on vtmb but are interesting. Larian should make drow suffer under sunlight and those who don't like, can pick any race adapted to live in the surface.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Is it good? Worth reading? I glimpsed at the wikipedia entry and had a WTF I am reading moment:

The amoral villains of the novel, both 'The Trio' and 'The Island Club,' are often portrayed as harboring some level of racism and sexism, and often in extreme cases such as ex-SS officer Willi and Melanie Fuller's background in pre-war Austria and the segregationist south of the United States.

It was written a while back when nobody cared about minorities trangenders snowflakes feelings.
It's a kind of "horror"-fantasy novel using history as a background.

It's really dark. I think it's really good and it's way more focused than Hyperion and its sequels, for instance.

It isn't a book all about vampires but vampires are part of the plot and it's an original and interesting take on vampires.

If you find it offensive, don't read Iron Dreams...

Don't believe his lies. It's not a vampire novel and it's shit.

Go read Vampire of the Mists if you want the D&D vampire flavor, it's not a bad book, despite being written by Christie Golden, it even has THE vampire poster boy Strahd in it.

Well, Dan Simmons certainly don't write DnD shit...
Remind me, which D&D book you read was actually good ?

ChildInTime

Learned
Is it good? Worth reading? I glimpsed at the wikipedia entry and had a WTF I am reading moment:

The amoral villains of the novel, both 'The Trio' and 'The Island Club,' are often portrayed as harboring some level of racism and sexism, and often in extreme cases such as ex-SS officer Willi and Melanie Fuller's background in pre-war Austria and the segregationist south of the United States.

It was written a while back when nobody cared about minorities trangenders snowflakes feelings.
It's a kind of "horror"-fantasy novel using history as a background.

It's really dark. I think it's really good and it's way more focused than Hyperion and its sequels, for instance.

It isn't a book all about vampires but vampires are part of the plot and it's an original and interesting take on vampires.

If you find it offensive, don't read Iron Dreams...

Don't believe his lies. It's not a vampire novel and it's shit.

Go read Vampire of the Mists if you want the D&D vampire flavor, it's not a bad book, despite being written by Christie Golden, it even has THE vampire poster boy Strahd in it.

Well, Dan Simmons certainly don't write DnD shit...
Remind me, which D&D book you read was actually good ?
We are talking specifically about a trashy fantasy vampire reading - capes, castles, peasants being slaughtered and beautiful women kidnapped. Dan Simmons's "original" take on vampires just goes with the likes of I am Legend, Out of the Dark, Blindsight style novels - "we got vampires, but not really!". They are more Illithids than vampires at this point.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, wait, you think that A) They're gonna fix their art direction during early access and B) It's somehow NOT the company's fault when they intentionally mislead people to get more preorders? What the actual fuck kind of backwards logic is this?

it's the rusty_trombone logic.

bask in it because people like him are born once in 500 years

Gyor

Savant
Remove the 20 radiant damage from the sun and we are good to go with all the other penalties applied at all times during the day.

PC's should't play as vampires in low level campaigns. It just doesn't work...
We got magical tadpoles, dragons, gith, nine hells and nautiloids - all at level 1. I think "low level, low magic, goblin slayer adventure" concept is being thrown out of the window by that point.

You forgot Vampires, Intellect Devourer Camp Follower, Soul Coins, and that is what we know about so far.

Gyor

Savant
BTW for those who think we won't get mounts, its looking like we will get infernal Warmachines, I mean there appears to be one of 3 uses for Soul Coins, trade with beings that accept Soul Coins as currency, asking questions of the soul in the coin (which causes the soul to be released), and the big daddy of them all, using to power Infernal Warmachines by tossing them into the Warmachines furnace (which burns the screaming soul to oblivion).

So if we are going to be riding in Infernal Warmachines, if your character can stomach beings pure evil, then riding a horse is simple by comparsion.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Just finished reading through the adventure module as a whole, and it's really, really good. If I were a modder... or had any talents... or abilities... when it comes to creating content, I would definitely turn that into a full-fledged mod for Baldur's Gate I, separate from the main campaign, with a different main character, as intended. 90% of locations are already in the game itself.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Interestingly they removed Controller Support label from store page. https://steamdb.info/app/1086940/history/?changeid=9489258

Looks like this won't get controller support at EA launch, which shows mouse and keyboard UI is still the primary for them. Probably not surprising.
Why would you play this game with a controller anyways? I mean I get that anyone playing this game is already a degenerate but really?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
The First problem with this game is the butchering of a beloved series.
The Second problem is larian.

Larian has never made a good game and has constantly shown how inept they are. Why would you give them a chance now? I think you guys are really downplaying the "butchering a beloved series" part though. That's a really serious and horrible thing to do. If the game actually looked good and fun (which it doesn't) I still wouldn't play it because of that. If they changed the name I would stop shit-talking the game but I would still not play it. larian deserves nothing. In my perfect world, they would release the game and not a single person would buy it. They would all go bankrupt and life would be good. The only way for this game to be good is for it to be named something else and be created by an entirely different team without a single overlap of staff.

As we move closer to the release date and the alpha, I encourage all of you to not support this game or larian in any of their endeavors.

Drakortha

Liturgist
As we move closer to the release date and the alpha, I encourage all of you to not support this game or larian in any of their endeavors.

Larian will now forever be on my shit-list after that horrendous first gameplay reveal. There's never been a reveal in gaming that killed my enthusiasm faster. What they've shown serves only to highlight their Incompetent, lazy, and careless way in handling this IP. Did anyone bother to count how many times Swen in the recent interview touted that there was 16 thousand lines of voiced dialogue? Like this was some selling point and a reason to be excited? Maybe I'm remembering wrong and it wasn't 16 exactly, but it certainly marked a striking resemblance to a Todd Howard sales pitch.

They could have stayed quiet about this game for an extra year and actually put the time and work in to develop something worth waiting 20 fucking years for. Instead what we're getting is DOS again and early access out the door as soon as possible to drive pre-order sales. It's nothing but a cash grab if I ever saw one, nothing more. They don't give a shit. It's despicable. The entire game industry is full of greedy cunts & Larian is no exception.

Don't even get me started on the CHOICES and Twitch Integration "Features"

CHdAk3kWIAA-S4H.jpg

Last edited:

Heinrich

Scholar
The one thing that's slightly annoying about Larian doing Baldurs Gate is that it seems to have awoken the Codex Troglodyte Faction: I mean, look at this shit, I'm not sure if those are 11 year old Americans having baby's first flame war or middle aged Bulgarians with sub 90 IQ sperging out, or both, or something else entirely. Look at the mindless rants posted just above; they somehow manage to underperform the average Codexers intelligence quite handily and that's saying something.

Drakortha

Liturgist
The one thing that's slightly annoying about Larian doing Baldurs Gate is that it seems to have awoken the Codex Troglodyte Faction: I mean, look at this shit, I'm not sure if those are 11 year old Americans having baby's first flame war or middle aged Bulgarians with sub 90 IQ sperging out, or both, or something else entirely. Look at the mindless rants posted just above; they somehow manage to underperform the average Codexers intelligence quite handily and that's saying something.

First of all, Not American or Bulgarian, you maggot.

Second, go fuck yourself.

Prime Junta

Yeah too many noobs falling desperately over each other trying to fit in with what they imagine the Codex is all about. (You're OK though.)

My own two cents: the very first gameplay reveal made the game seem as if it's "Divinity Original Sin in Baldur's Gate skin". Something Swen specifically had said the game would not be, and so I'd be lying if I said I was not massively disappointed, initially.

Now looking at the gameplay, I've done a 180 and am massively excited for the game. The gameplay stream from a few months ago (the one with the Orc lady and the Underdark) totally won me over.

Prime Junta

Yeah I've done a bit of a U-turn on this too. Not massively hyped but looking forward to it. Likely d1p although not going for the EA.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Larian has never made a good game and has constantly shown how inept they are.

Did you played Divine Divinity?

Is amazing. Is nowhere near as good as BG1/2 but is good. If BG3 becomes DoS2 without the retarded cooldown system, retarded itemization and retarded armor system, it would be a massive incline if compared to DOS2. Still a massive decline compared to BG2.

Gargaune

Magister
I, on the other hand, encourage many of you to buy Early Access because I won't. I remain ambivalent over this Baldur's Gate "3", so by the time it goes Gold I'd like to be able to make a thoroughly informed decision on whether I should buy it or not, and I'd like to have that information on someone else's dime.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
The First problem with this game is the butchering of a beloved series.
The Second problem is larian.

Larian has never made a good game and has constantly shown how inept they are. Why would you give them a chance now? I think you guys are really downplaying the "butchering a beloved series" part though. That's a really serious and horrible thing to do. If the game actually looked good and fun (which it doesn't) I still wouldn't play it because of that. If they changed the name I would stop shit-talking the game but I would still not play it. larian deserves nothing. In my perfect world, they would release the game and not a single person would buy it. They would all go bankrupt and life would be good. The only way for this game to be good is for it to be named something else and be created by an entirely different team without a single overlap of staff.

4fz4fn.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom