Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's your favorite fantasy RPG class?

My favorite class is...

• Barbarian

Votes: 10 6.2%
  • Bard

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Cleric

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • Druid

Votes: 12 7.4%
  • Fighter

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Monk

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Paladin

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • Ranger

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Rogue

Votes: 18 11.1%
  • Sorceror

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Warlock

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Wizard

Votes: 24 14.8%
  • My favorite class isn't listed (post)

Votes: 10 6.2%
  • I don't really have a favorite class

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I don't actually like fantasy RPGs very much

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

jackofshadows

Magister
Rogue, Wizard in some rare occasions.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like rogues, they are fun. Always liked the concept of a druid, but never played them much. Wizard is cool too, but it was really interesting to be a wizard only in Planescape: Torment.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
In most Tolkien/DnD type of games i love playing a Druid.

1) I just love summoning spells, permanent companions and transformations

2) I like that Druids typically have access to both healing/defensive spells and offensive spells

3) In a fantasy world where Christianity does not exist, i think the real spirituality would be based around nature and the natural world and not the extreme amount of deities each universe has. I find Clerics hypocritical when every race/class/alignment/domain have their different minor deity. If everyone is a god then no one is. Nature is king.

4) I like that Druids typically can be anything that includes the world "neutral" in the alignment. I am mostly a neutral good character, with a slight shift towards the chaotic end of the spectrum, cause i understand laws have their use to structure society but are often an obstacle and misused or not enough to help in certain cases, so they have to be circumvented. I always feel the best class for the neutral good archetype would be a Druid or a Ranger type of character.

PS: The one thing i never liked about Skyrim was that i couldn't play the druid archetype they way i wanted cause summons were elemental/arcane or necromantic/demonic instead of nature based. Well, i could use mods, but vanilla didn't accomondate me and that was a shame.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Barbarian is my favorite class.
Unfortunately, they're done wrong most of the time, M&M III > V did it right though (lighter armor meaning less AC but more attacks and more HP, none of that retarded barbarian spells rage)

Sorcerer close second, innate magic means you can get the spells you want and there's more flexibility, the trade off being locked out of most spells you don't use anyway, it's a no brainer.

Rogue third for backstabbing/crits, then again, in most games you can"t start a fight hidden or the AI knows where you are so it ruins the fun.

I like monks as well but i've yet to play a game allowing me to use combat gloves or good monk weapons (ToEE + Co8 does that once you get to Verbonosc or something, the NE huge and empty city, you can get good masterwork monk weapons and then use crafting skills), not using weapons sucks, getting good loot is about 20/25% of the fun.

Exceptions being Wizardry 8 and KotC 2.
  • Wizard (which are basically both sorcerors and wizards), Samouraï, Ninja & Ranger for Wizardry 8
  • Everything is fun in KotC 2 but i really like the Death Knight. (but the Barbarian is unfortunately D&D-like ...)

Last edited:

Piotrovitz

Savant
For some reason I absolutely despise monks in fantasy settings - the whole idea of unarmed man going on mobs twice his size or decked with full plate with his bare hands just seems silly and immersion breaking.

The only way this class/archetype could work for me is either:

1. Give them some spell-like mind/psi powers and make them more similar to regular casters, but with a little twist (i.e not relying on mana/casts per day, but something else, dunno)
2. Make them more like ninja/samurai types, utilizing katanas/wakizashis etc, more like glass cannon kensai from BG2

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
1. Give them some spell-like mind/psi powers and make them more similar to regular casters, but with a little twist (i.e not relying on mana/casts per day, but something else, dunno)
2. Make them more like ninja/samurai types, utilizing katanas/wakizashis etc, more like glass cannon kensai from BG2
If any kind of martial arts was to exist in western styled fantasy, it'd probably be some kind of wrestling like glima or bokh... but it's very difficult to implement as combat skill in cRPG since it pretty much only applies to matches and armored ground game, while the mechanics require it to work on par with melee weapons.

Absinthe

Arcane
Assuming a relatively balanced game, what's your favorite class to play in a fantasy RPG and why? I just used the DnD core classes for the poll, as I'm really talking about fantasy d20 systems here but if your favorite isn't a core class just say.
Assuming a relatively balanced game, we would not be using D&D.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Assuming a relatively balanced game, what's your favorite class to play in a fantasy RPG and why? I just used the DnD core classes for the poll, as I'm really talking about fantasy d20 systems here but if your favorite isn't a core class just say.
Assuming a relatively balanced game, we would not be using D&D.

D&D is very balanced. There are no classes that are complete garbage, all martials can compete with spellcasters on higher levels, and there's no such buffoonery such as coffeelocks, sorcadins, and twin-casting haste. Oh, and Champion Fighters are absolutely very interesting mechanically.

Maybe in 6e.

Dalamar

Barely Literate
If I could actually vote I'd click sorceror. Fuck memorizing spells.

Mikeal

Arcane
Paladin - because there is nothing cooler than being armed wing of church and champion of god.
Ranger - I can roleplay Aragon yay!
Sorcerer - getting power through learning and study.
Warlock - demons and shiet.

Lurker47

Savant
WARLOCK Unfortunately, a lot of CRPG's don't seem to have them/they're shit. I don't think there's a truly good warlock game out there. The closest I've seen is probably the Megaten series and they're not even really "warlock-flavored"

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
I kind of like Paladins from a roleplaying perspective. The issue I have with them is that they are pretty much slaves to the DM's whim, and God help you if your DM is one of those dickheads who likes to make the Paladin fall or tries to force you into Lawful Stupid shit constantly. I like the 3.5 PrC Gray Guard for this reason as it basically gives Paladins a mechanical, RAW way to flip the bird to potential dickhead DMs, as well as giving them some neat tricks for playing something close to a medieval Dirty Harry.

WARLOCK Unfortunately, a lot of CRPG's don't seem to have them/they're shit. I don't think there's a truly good warlock game out there. The closest I've seen is probably the Megaten series and they're not even really "warlock-flavored"

5e made Hexblade Warlocks pretty fucking metal.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Cleric. They fight almost as well as fighters, can fully protect themselves with heavy armor and a shield, can heal themselves or others, curse people who are enemies, raise the dead, and turn away or destroy the undead. If they're really desperate, they can call down columns of fire to smite their enemies or surround them in a cloud of whirling blades, whatever suits their whim on that day. Not to mention that they can gather a devout following of faithful followers wherever they go willing to do anything for the cause. How can you go wrong with a cleric?

Absinthe

Arcane
Dalamar, I think you're on probation as a new account where mods have to manually approve your posts until you have 10 posts. It's an anti-spambot measure. You should be able to vote soon.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
Cleric. They fight almost as well as fighters, can fully protect themselves with heavy armor and a shield, can heal themselves or others, curse people who are enemies, raise the dead, and turn away or destroy the undead. If they're really desperate, they can call down columns of fire to smite their enemies or surround them in a cloud of whirling blades, whatever suits their whim on that day. Not to mention that they can gather a devout following of faithful followers wherever they go willing to do anything for the cause. How can you go wrong with a cleric?
Clerics fight better than fighters after a certain point. 3/4 BAB? Good thing they get access to Divine Power. And Enlarge Person. And domains like War, Strength, Glory, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom