Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2229095534

In this mod Asatru rulers in eastern Europe instead have a x10 multiplier for duchies along the river routes from Lake Ladoga to the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, plus the city of the world's desire.

The screenshot is from 902 and shows the Rurikids have avoided spraying themselves across the Atlantic coast and are continuing to expand in Russia.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Nice mod, though hopefully its necessity is patched out, since the status quo can't be intended behaviour. Speaking of patch's, that much promised pile of bug fixes and "really fancy UI upgrades" should be dropping soon...

In the near future we’ll be looking at collecting and addressing as many of your issues as we can. The upcoming patch (release date TBD) is a mix of improvements that didn't make it into the release (including some really fancy UI upgrades!), and bug fixes based on your feedback. Patch notes will be posted closer in time to when the patch will be released. If you have an issue, make sure to report it here so that it’s sure to be looked at!

From September 8th.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I wonder if part of it was gameplay concern to ensure players can easily break out with their own variants, though it feels like they went overboard.

That said, there's no absolute reason that Lollards and other heresies could not have grown into larger and more 'stable' minorities in an alternative Europe, especially if it is an alternative Europe where, let's say, the Crusades never take off as well as they did in 1099, the distribution of temporal and clerical powers remains unsettled, and Christian rulers become more bold at marching against the Papacy, or even a scenario where Byzantine disintegration and/or Andalusian developments lead to more syncretic / pluralist acceptance of Islamic beliefs that in turn encourage a rethinking of the Catholic institution, and so on.

What the game really needs to better, I'd say, is not so much "Catholics STRONK" but making it more likely for characters to secretly harbour heretic beliefs / heretic sympathies. The game is crying out for an underlying 'secret traits' pane that you see as yourself and find out about others as secrets, which includes Witchery but also things like "Sympathetic to Bogomilists".

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What the game really needs to better, I'd say, is not so much "Catholics STRONK" but making it more likely for characters to secretly harbour heretic beliefs / heretic sympathies. The game is crying out for an underlying 'secret traits' pane that you see as yourself and find out about others as secrets, which includes Witchery but also things like "Sympathetic to Bogomilists".

Hey good idea! Don't worry we will add this as DLC you can pay 30 buks for!

Thanks for the feedback!

~paradox

Eastwood

Educated
That mod for fixing catholic fervour didn't really work, Catholicism is still a wet noodle religion and I get pop-ups of rulers converting to heresy all the time still. Then again, I did add it to an ongoing game.

How the fuck the sheer weakness of catholicism ever passed out of beta?

I was determined to play a Catholic-game first, but Catholicism is so fucking weak in this game, like wtf. The FUCKING SWEDES converted back to Asatru because Catholicism sucks this hard.

I suspect one day I will realize I am the last catholic ruler of Europe.

Why bother employing their own testers, when YOU are the beta testers and even pay for that privilege?

Catholicism is so fucked in this game I abandoned my plans of catholic reconquista and instead made my own incestuous nudist heresy with fervor and conversion speed tenets. Whole Hispania was converted in less than 10 years.

Eastwood

Educated
It would also be interesting to see factions which represent the interests of a group or class as a whole - say, Burghers, the Clergy, the Nobility and the Throne. Not interested in seizing power and such as much as representing their own interests as an united group.
I really liked the way HIP handled its factions. You have different ideological factions that have their own opinion of you based on your actions and can even support you, if you please them. No idea why they did not take inspiration from this in ck3.

It would also be interesting to see factions which represent the interests of a group or class as a whole - say, Burghers, the Clergy, the Nobility and the Throne. Not interested in seizing power and such as much as representing their own interests as an united group.

HIP in CK2 had something similar. Besides the usual conspiratorial factions, it also had 4 permanent factions - pretty much those you mentioned - that all vassals joined depending on their preference. If you kept the faction friendly they would give you little boons from time to time. If you did not, they could start causing problems.

edit: god dammit

Ok, here's a pet peeve of my - as a liege we still have very limited options when it comes to getting involved in inter-vassal wars, even when allies are involved. I give some land to a relative or a son-in-law matri-married to spread my dynasty, I turn around and bam - he's unlanded in some court in the middle of nowhere, his family scattered across half the world. Because AI keeps rabidly fabricating claims (something that is much easier to pull off now), some vassal always has a claim on any piece of real-estate I give away. And because of how aggressive the AI is, it's not long before they kick him out, as unlike the poor bastard I just landed, they have full levies, man at arms, allies and cash for mercs. In my latest game I had to land my brother no less than three times because of this, and he still died unlanded, even when I resorted to gifting him a pile of gold to hire mercs of his own.

There really should be a way to join my ally-vassal's defensive wars, or send an ultimatum to the attacker to back off of my ally / family or else. As opposed to the current limp-wristed will you please stop, pretty please mild suggestion that 9 times out of 10 ends with the attacker laughing in your face.

cw8

Cipher
Amongst my list of criminals:
kNJNIE5.jpg

Tigranes

Arcane
I also think the way factions work are incredibly retarded. No one in Medieval Europe started a public "Fuck the King and put me in Power as King" faction openly. That's an easy way to lose your head. Some Factions should be something one has to learn and investigate about.

There seems to be no capacity for longer-term factions. A peasant faction is just a separate, randomly generated rebellion every 10 years, for instance.

It would actually be cool if multiple cases of persecution and mutiny added up to a semi-permanent "faction" that represents strong regional sentiments, in which that Catalan region or whatever becomes widely considered as a 'problematic' region that brooks no central authority.

You could also tie Dukes and Counts to such regions - you park your retarded nephew in some Duchy for 60 years and support him despite petitions, turnout that instead of some shitty popular opinion modifier you dont' even notice if your empire is doing well, rather, they develop a century-long boiling hatred of your dynasty.

Similar mechanics could also be applied to nobility, such that there are longer-term affinities and blood feuds between families.

cw8

Cipher
It's a crusade between the Catholics and the Waldensians. A random Muslim outsider is helping the Waldensians:

X6tNkDN.jpg

The Pope is very very rich:

XRhoHjX.jpg

I've attacked the pope lategame. He'll hire every fucking merc on the map to mercilessly crush your balls for even thinking of being at war with him.

Tigranes

Arcane
From what I heard, the Pope is borderline unbeatable. He has all the money, like ALL the money. And he will use all the money to destroy your ass.

My Portugueseesese had no problem kicking out the Papacy for the glory of their heretical sect, though that was after they had grown into basically the Western Roman Empire. After mid-game, major empires will float around like 30k or 50k stacks, and there's only so many mercs to hire.

BTW, the easiest way to convert a foreign nation is probably just by murdering every King until the one dynasty member who happens to be in your desired religion takes charge. Murdering is way too easy, and being discovered isn't that bad.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There's nothing for him to spend it on. If you try to go tall in one or two duchies you'll run out of buildings to build within a few years and then it takes decades to unlock new stuff.

Eastwood

Educated
I wonder if there's a way to acquire the pope's money somehow.
If you take the decision to dismantle the papacy and then kidnap him and recruit him to your court, you should be able to banish him and take all his money.
Sadly you can only dismantle the papacy as norse, sunni, hellenic, slavic or vidilist for some reason, so I can't test this.

There's nothing for him to spend it on. If you try to go tall in one or two duchies you'll run out of buildings to build within a few years and then it takes decades to unlock new stuff.

Yeah, I noticed this as well. Even as a tribal I just sat on a 10k+ gold pile for decades with literally nothing I could spend it on, waiting to turn feudal so that I could build a whole bunch of baronies. As for taking money from the clergy, I hear doing the same to your own archbishop is easily doable, and the bastard is often quite loaded as well.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What needs to be urgently patched in? Game seems pretty stable, for Paradox.

Also, what are good 2 player "co-op" starts? We already did the mandatory Sons of Ragnar thing. Stuff like conquering Iberia or uniting the Arabs, we'd be getting in each other's way at some point.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Weeks ago they promised an upcoming patch that adds a lot of fancy UI stuff they couldn't get in before release, as well as a ton of bugfixes.

The optimst in me hopes they're attending to technical fires in EU4 and ... more general issues with I:R's future, but the realist in me knows management is just being management.

Mortmal

Arcane

Also, what are good 2 player "co-op" starts? We already did the mandatory Sons of Ragnar thing. Stuff like conquering Iberia or uniting the Arabs, we'd be getting in each other's way at some point.
Ahcievements related to historical rulers, all of them are busted. Else its stable , except one start as bohemia that systematically crash the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom