Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda acquired by Microsoft

Duraframe300

Arcane
I guess Fallout becoming console exclusive would be ironic and memetical somewhat

It's more likely that these games become Microsoft Store exclusives. They want to build that Apple-esque walled garden where the only software available is available through them for a cut. They are already practicing with Windows 10 S.

Do they?

That seemed to be their strategy 8 years ago, but they have recently gone back on Steam. Now they basically release everything on both platforms. And release a few things even on Sony's and Nintendo's consoles.

CD PROJECKT RED BUYOUT WHEN???
Don't give them ideas!

Carmack would work with Nazi Germany on software to automate disinfection chambers, if it meant he could advance his own tech and he could make it open source.
FTFY

Do you think this will force Sony to develop new and interesting IPs to counterbalance this move?
Sony's having exclusive content in non-exclusive titles. Between these, apple arcade, and stadia crap, I can't wait for the downfall of all things corporate.

Last edited:

Risewild

Arbiter
From a Russkii subreddit:
65ot1kisqro51.jpg

Employees of Bethesda, when Microsoft makes them fix 1000 bugs before release. :lol:
Wait. Is that girl painting a pistol?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
what does it matter? western developers don't make RPGs anymore. although I guess Fallout becoming console exclusive would be ironic and memetical somewhat

As if Japanese developers which only makes games about androgynous teenagers with oversized swords saving the world was that different.

PS : If Western you means USA for you, you are right. If you even include Central Europeans, then you are wrong since there are a lot of good """eurojank""" RPG's. Elex and KCD for eg.

Don't give them ideas!

CD Projekt is the most valuable game studio of Europe. M$ apparently is only buying game studios on US.

What's the big deal? Soulless studios that lost the magic a long time ago and are currently only focused on making graphically-impressive but 100% safe and inoffensive dumbed-down shovelware, amalgamate into one bigger corporate entity. If anything it makes my life easier as all the generic 50hp slimes are joining up into a 1000hp generic slime that I can more easily avoid.

But now you have 1050 hp slime instead of 1000 hp. This will be a problem because the slime sooner or later will come to your village.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Fallout and Elder Scrolls have better parents now. Not saying Microsoft is Good Dad.tm, that remains to be seen

SlamDunk

Arcane
Bethesda = shitty games
Microsoft = yet another boring and unambitious games publisher

Yeah, nothing good will come out of this.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
What's the big deal? Soulless studios that lost the magic a long time ago and are currently only focused on making graphically-impressive but 100% safe and inoffensive dumbed-down shovelware, amalgamate into one bigger corporate entity. If anything it makes my life easier as all the generic 50hp slimes are joining up into a 1000hp generic slime that I can more easily avoid.
Yes, because consolidations are always beneficial to smaller players in the market. It's already quite hard for indie studios to stay afloat, now it will be even harder when millions of retards will subscribe to "games as service" crap and smaller studios, reliant on direct sales, will be left aside.

Dalamar

Barely Literate
Beth's been going downhill for so long that there is nothing left for Microshite to destroy, sadly. But i'm sure they will still find a way to deface the corpse of Bethesda. It's what they do.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It's already quite hard for indie studios to stay afloat, now it will be even harder when millions of retards will subscribe to "games as service" crap and smaller studios, reliant on direct sales, will be left aside.
Streaming services are already paying indie developers by users per hour played, that is right, THEY choose how much they gonna pay you and what bullshit metrics they will use to pay you, so streaming is a big fuck you to indie developers. Lets see how much hours played niche RPG games like Underrail will get, and if Microsoft streaming bs is successful, good luck trying to convince the average dumbass on xCloud to actually pay you for your game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
When microsoft office went to subscription per month I said fuck that and installed my old 2010 disc copy. Seems to work fine in win10. I think adobe is going or gone sub as well. Tbh, when they go sub I say fuck it. Steam or gog go sub... they can fuck off.

who here is a Stadia gamer? Fuck that. I won't be surprised if Microsoft does the same and charges per month just to access some digital library.

I really hate what Xbox has become, and Microsoft has always been: A lifeless, greedy monolith desperately clinging to a few successful products. STALKER 2 and Everwild are the only exclusives that interest me, and I know Microsoft will either cancel them or fill them with D.L.C. and lootboxes. Microsoft is going to do the same thing it did with the 360 and One: Focus on inane shit like being able to watch sports and chat, ignore the games and create a product that only appeals to the fanboys.

Compare the exciting exclusives coming to other consoles: Switch: Metroiid, Bayonetta, No More Heroes, Shin Megami Tensei, Mario, Zelda, Cris Tales. PS5: Horizon, Spiderman, Ratchet and Clank, Solar Ash, Sackboy, Oddworld, Resident Evil. These games excite me and make me want to play the systems, and I know Nintendo will focus on the games: I think the fact that it delayed Metroid to make it better shows that it knows the importance of quality, whereas Microsoft would have happily pushed a Beta version onto the shelves and claimed that it would be finished months later with patches and paid D.L.C.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Back in 2012 my tribe bought several copies for tribals or it was donated. For 10$ i got the whole suite. Works well enough. LibreOffice is ok; i find it a bit meh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom