Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Why Owlcat's Kingmaker Sucks, in Plain Language

Delterius

Arcane
I noticed that pretty much every ranged attack missed. Guessing low light was causing a malus on attack rolls in spots.
Hmmm. Did you get every feat necessary for ranged fighting? I don't think Linzi start with Point Blank and, most importantly, Precise Shot. Those two together account for 25% of your hit chance. I played an Arcane Trickster once. Wasn't even very min maxed (was human, had 16 dex) but I didn't miss all the time.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
I noticed that pretty much every ranged attack missed. Guessing low light was causing a malus on attack rolls in spots.
Hmmm. Did you get every feat necessary for ranged fighting? I don't think Linzi start with Point Blank and, most importantly, Precise Shot. Those two together account for 25% of your hit chance.

Fuck, that probably explains why Linzi couldn't hit a goddamn thing. I know I had PBS, think I chose it at chargen as bonus, but probably didn't have Precise Shot.

Delterius

Arcane
Hmmm. Did you get every feat necessary for ranged fighting? I don't think Linzi start with Point Blank and, most importantly, Precise Shot. Those two together account for 25% of your hit chance.

Fuck, that probably explains why Linzi couldn't hit a goddamn thing. I know I had PBS, think I chose it at chargen as bonus, but probably didn't have Precise Shot.
Yeah, Precise Shot is sadly mandatory if you want to hit with ranged attack rolls and most people new to this thing won't realize it.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
my spell DCs should have been decent given my INT score.
See, that's the difference between a progressive Westerner and a moss covered совок. I would have known exact numbers, and you operate by such feelings as "decent" and "should have been".

OK, then. Kingmaker, indeed, is the best IQ test developed during the last 10 years.

Delterius

Arcane
my spell DCs should have been decent given my INT score.
See, that's the difference between a progressive Westerner and a moss covered совок. I would have known exact numbers, and you operate by such feelings as "decent" and "should have been".

OK, then. Kingmaker, indeed, is the best IQ test developed during the last 10 years.
meanwhile in the real world everyone agrees that enemy saving throws are retarded in this game

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I don’t. Most of his problems are due to Vermin immunities and not knowing how the use Delay Poison yet.

Congratulations, you suck. We all did. It gets better. That part is fun.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected

Yeah, Precise Shot is sadly mandatory if you want to hit with ranged attack rolls and most people new to this thing won't realize it.
I'm spoiled a bit by ToEE, where I could roll 5 decent, sufficiently specialized party members and just hand ranged attack duty to the Ranger who'd get the important stuff pretty much automatically as we progressed. Kingmaker's the first time I've screwed with PF stuff and I'm sincerely impressed by how rough the party members are in layout. Amiri doesn't need or meaningfully benefit from INT10, WIS12 is debatable, CHA10 is too low for Intimidate focused and pointlessly high for anything else. Valerie has 15CHA which should make her an OK face and demoralizer but I've got Linzi right there, the Bard, who should be handling face work given the option. Valerie also has 13DEX just to get Dodge I guess, which is pointless. And despite Valerie's great CON score she failed at least 1/3 of the saves against poison.

Desiderius

Patron
If Val is failing 1/3 of the Fort saves you need to lower the difficulty. I’m sorry, I have trouble taking anyone seriously who complains about RNG. There are more than enough tools in this game to obviate the RNG altogether in any case.

Have you figured out that Linzi can sing and cast at the same time? Amiri’s WIS is just enough for her to be a Freebooter. By midgame stats won’t matter as much since you’ll be able to boost with items/spells.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
Reading about time limits makes me want to play this shit.
Time limits are fine but you're not really given any idea what the time limit is, only that it exists.

If Val is failing 1/3 of the Fort saves you need to lower the difficulty.

Considering it. Was told to go in at high difficulty, but the RNG is just being brutal to me and I really hate reloading for any reason other than a wipe.

Desiderius

Patron
The only time limit you have right now is 90 days and it’s right there in your quest log. You get a bonus for doing it in 30 but it’s pretty niche.

Quit crying like a little girl and ask for help if you need it. More fun to figure things out on your own but who has the time these days.

After Ch 1 there is only one hard timer (the Ancient Curse) but there are significant rewards for managing your time well, and they get better the better you do.

Desiderius

Patron
Most important thing to do is turn on Show Location Names on your map. Then Mouse over the red exclamation pts.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
The only time limit you have right now is 90 days and it’s right there in your quest log. You get a bonus for doing it in 30 but it’s pretty niche.
I know about the timer for the chapter but isn't there a separate timer on the quest availability itself?

Desiderius

Patron
No.

There is a choice of going after Tartuccio or the Bandits, but no timer.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
No.

There is a choice of going after Tartuccio or the Bandits, but no timer.
Weird. Was under the impression that you had to act fast on that. If I had known that I would have done that druid's berry quest to see if he gave me some useful stuff first. Still not sure why Tartuccio getting mixed up with some kobolds requires dealing with spiders, though - before I reached the mineshaft part of that chase I figured I'd just be dealing with Kobolds and some traps (which my Rogue skills would have worked pretty well for).

Desiderius

Patron
They’re lvl 3, shouldn’t be a problem. Berry quest not really worth it. Spiders there too.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's a decent detour. +1 Scimitar for free if you dared to check out the nearby point of interest.
The biggest challenge in Chapter 1 is probably the enemy casting spells against your party's low saves.
Otherwise, AC checks and positioning makes it relatively simple to win most encounters.
If things got too anal in RTWP, I recommend just going to TB mode and have a semblance of turn order that made sense.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
It's a decent detour. +1 Scimitar for free if you dared to check out the nearby point of interest.
The biggest challenge in Chapter 1 is probably the enemy casting spells against your party's low saves.
Otherwise, AC checks and positioning makes it relatively simple to win most encounters.
If things got too anal in RTWP, I recommend just going to TB mode and have a semblance of turn order that made sense.
Having a +1 weapon around would probably be useful but not sure who I'd give it to (at least not yet)

Honestly given how well the whole "defend the settlement" thing went on this difficulty I figured I had made the right choice by not playing on a lower difficulty level.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Everything is more meaningful at lower level.
Even the amount of gold you can raise from selling away the +1 weapon for your first full plate armor.
Cherish the low level plays more.
This game is boring at higher level.

Desiderius

Patron
Everything is more meaningful at lower level.
Even the amount of gold you can raise from selling away the +1 weapon for your first full plate armor.
Cherish the low level plays more.
This game is boring at higher level.

It's remarkably less boring than most in the genre if you play tinman on a suitable difficulty, but your advice is well taken. Gygax intended reaching level 2 to be a memorable accomplishment.

Theldaran

Liturgist
They just didn't stick. Ever.
A former Soviet person would have compared the DC of the spell against the saving throw of spiders which is shown in the log. Also, s/he would have checked for immunities (like, spiders are immune to Web - imagine that).

But, I guess, you're a progressive Westerner, so... OK.

Yeah because DND was produced as part of some Quinquennial Plan or other.

All Soviet people and their descendants are naturally adept at the game.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
All Soviet people and their descendants are naturally adept at the game.
No, it's just most of the old Soviet schools were like British grammar schools. It lead to its own problems and tensions - there was no selection, so some pupils had a lot of struggle - but those who managed appear to be functionally literate.

Also, I think it is offtopic here.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom