Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 1 Remastered by Krome Studios

JDR13

Arcane
I don't like how the combat window is just a rectangle in the middle of the overall screen space. Wasn't the combat screen larger in the original?

Gregz

Arcane
what's even worse, they've added a screen-shake animation to register hits during combat, which induces motion sickness...oh well, they did a good job on the Bard's Tale remakes.

Darkzone

Arcane
what's even worse, they've added a screen-shake animation to register hits during combat, which induces motion sickness...oh well, they did a good job on the Bard's Tale remakes.
Remakes for which Bard's Tale version ( as in Apple II, Amstrad, Spectrum, NEC, C64, IBM PC or Amiga ) ?

Gregz

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remakes for which Bard's Tale version ( as in Apple II, Amstrad, Spectrum, NEC, C64, IBM PC or Amiga ) ?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/843260/The_Bards_Tale_Trilogy/

I think he means to ask which version they remade.

As far as I know, Krome have never said whether they considered a particular version of the original games to be the authoritative one. Judging by how thorough the remakes were, I assumed they were familiar with all the versions and tried to take the best of each.

Darkzone

Arcane
https://store.steampowered.com/app/843260/The_Bards_Tale_Trilogy/
Don't worry i have also the remastered trilogy, like i still own it for C64 and Amiga. I'm just pointing only the hypocrisy out, that you don't complain about the changes in the artwork of different versions of Bard's Tale for different computer system and that they have used a 3d world with assets instead of a 2d world. The Apple II version of Wasteland was the first version therefore it is the true original version. So to keep it in line with your logic you should complain, that the WL Remastered does not uses the original Apple II artwork. Just saying.

Gregz

Arcane
Darkzone

Whatever, the pixel art worked well in the 80s, regardless of platform. The version differences were minor, but I preferred the IIgs, even though I have more hours in the DOS version.

What they've done with this, is like digging up a dead body and filling it with embalming fluid.

To be fair, I haven't played it, but I don't like what I've seen so far. Which is a shame, because I know they worked hard on it.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Seriously, this is another lazy remaster, they didn't even try to turn the combat into something actually tactical or enjoyable, a simple chessboard with tokens would have turned the game into something fun.

Instead, this lazy menu, faithful to the original ... Sure, turn the graphics into modern garbage but keep the garbage combat and hope for the best...

You're confusing remakes with remasters.

edit: Totally missed the interface update (Steam is tempermental with this stuff), thanks for the heads up infin.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
Darkzone
Whatever, the pixel art worked well in the 80s, regardless of platform. The version differences were minor, but I preferred the IIgs, even though I have more hours in the DOS version.
What they've done with this, is like digging up a dead body and filling it with embalming fluid. To be fair, I haven't played it, but I don't like what I've seen so far. Which is a shame, because I know they worked hard on it.
I'm coming from the C64 version and that is why the PC version is for me already to goofy and to colorful. Like in the example of Radio to Ranger Ctr. with the General Presidente outfit for a level up. Compare the two version and you see the difference.
And Krome have made it a bit more goofy with some things not anatomically correct, but this was already lacking in the original. Example ist the Ranger Ctr. Soldier that looks better with a less tense pose with the Rifle on the hip pointing upwards instead being held combat ready, but at the same time it is less correct (shoulder positions even with a body rotation of 60°). I understand your complaint about the artwork of the "Rat", the "Soldier" and others and i share it with you. (recall it from my memory that it was you )
But i can look behind it and overcome my reservation, for the sake of not filling it with embalming fluid but trying to revive it and continuing it. Perhaps even on live support as a frankenstein's monster, but this is no other way to keep this beloved monster actual and alive. (in line with your wording) In my opinion this is currently the only path to a "true" WL sequel as i see it, together with a success of WL 3 and better more fitting artwork.

Also i do not think that you can over come so easy your reservations, therefore i don't think that you have to play it, but do not throw stick and stones between this bodies legs. Because if it falls on its face it will not stand up again and it will continue to lay with its face in the shit.

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Spent the past couple of days playing through this remaster, actually quite surprised how accurate it is in most things (that aren't the frequently mentioned non-existence of macros I guess, which is admittedly a pretty big deal and not having them adds more busywork for no reason, you end up kinda programming key combinations into your brain and smashing them out on your keyboard or numpad after a while). I get the feeling the developers literally just grabbed the source code and jammed chunks of it into unity somehow with new graphics, even Combat Shooting is still selectable in character creation. It's still got quite a few bugs here and there even in 1.18 but nothing gamebreaking in my playthrough.

The graphics are actually fine and I think a lot of people are being overly dramatic about them personally, "omg it looks cartoony", when was the last time you guys looked at Wasteland lol, eye raping neon green grass everywhere with a neon green shirted carrot top character indicator, it has its own charm but I don't think anyone could ever consider WL1 gritty and realistic looking. A lot of the environments actually look pretty good, the interiors of the various bases and the guardian citadel in particular.

The soundtrack is also a total 10/10, the guy who made that is a fucking genius, it's like a Fallout 1/2 soundtrack that leans into 80s sounds. The track that plays in the Mind Maze is an absolute treasure. Also should be noted that the new music like this is a whole lot less jarring with the new graphics. In "The Original Classic" version that had some music too and I just remember it seeming extremely out of place, was it the same soundtrack? I can't remember.

Last edited:
The game looks like shit. Also what is there, like maybe one person in the thread that's said something along the lines of the game being too cartoony looking? This Remastered version of Wasteland just looks like some barely thought out lazy slapdash remake. Personally looking more cartoony, (as cartoony as the original portraits anyways) having some nice looking sprites and areas when you're outside of the world map would have been preferable to this half board game half normal video game looking thing they're doing...and with 3D models that almost look like they're placeholders that came with the engine.

Kind of surprised the world map stuff doesn't just look like either a Heroes of Might & Magic 3 or Alpha Cdntauri map, with like a little no detail Neo Scavenger guy for the player to match the kind of blank white characters of the original Apple 2 version. Could have even shown your party in their lineup order in the corner of the screen like Tales of Destiny, Grand Knight History, Darkest Dungeon with whatever weapons and armor they've got.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
So I have finished WL3 and WL2DC in the past 2 months and was planning to try to play WL1 first time. Because it is a older game is there some cryptic shit that is practically impossible to figure out without walkthrough?

Gregz

Arcane
So I have finished WL3 and WL2DC in the past 2 months and was planning to try to play WL1 first time. Because it is a older game is there some cryptic shit that is practically impossible to figure out without walkthrough?

Based on what I've heard around the Codex I would avoid the Wasteland Remastered version like the plague.

The GoG version "works", but the animated graphics were lost. The voiceover paragraph entries are a nice touch though.

If you want the true classic experience, with its fantastic animated pixel art, emulate the original in DOS. The C64 and IIgs versions are graphically inferior.

As far as a walkthrough...you don't need one...but if you ever get stuck the solution is a google search away.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

The questlog built into Wasteland Remastered made it pretty accessible for me as someone playing it for the first time.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, i gave it shit on the onset but some of the utility means no digging for pdf manuals (loved them though). The other versions and emulators are easy ti find if you want to run them. Try em all and compare.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The primary complaint about Wasteland Remastered is basically that it wasn't improved enough over the original (the user interface).

Gregz

Arcane
The primary complaint about Wasteland Remastered is basically that it wasn't improved enough over the original (the user interface).

1) Macros were never implemented, this is a big deal
2) The art and visual design decisions are poor (it turns out you can't just upscale pixel art and expect it to look good)
3) The screen shakes during combat

I was talking with Tweed in Shoutbox, he's another old school Wasteland fan:

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:21 AM - Gregz: Tweed, did you play the WL remaster?
Sep 12, 2020 at 11:21 AM - Tweed: I tried, I hated every moment of it

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/shoutbox-archive-5-2016-09-26.111160/page-2317

I haven't personally played it (because of all the negative reviews and what I've seen in LPs), but I think Krome really missed with this one. I still love what they did with The Bard's Tale however.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

I think they've done more work with it since the launch/reviews/etc. but it's probably not that big a deal to be honest.

You'll either like the plastic aesthetic, or absolutely loathe it. But teh QOL changes that are there are a big plus for new players, that much is hard to argue against imo.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If you're a veteran who's been playing this game for decades you're probably going to hate it. The delays in combat from special effects are maddening and the UI will get you killed from muscle memory kicking in. Having to confirm to move to a new area is irritating because I already know exactly where I'm going. The remaster was made entirely with newcomers in mind and I still don't see how they can get very far, the journal system they have in place to try and drop hints about what to ask people didn't seem to line up with what the text parsers will actually accept so new people who've never seen this style before will still get stuck. The extra decorations don't help either since they don't really exist in the world and cannot be interacted with and it can make it harder for you to know exactly where you are since underneath all that window dressing you're still on the classic grid.

In short, if you've been playing forever then don't bother, this won't improve the experience for you.

Divinity: Original Sin

Based on what I've heard around the Codex I would avoid the Wasteland Remastered version like the plague.

The GoG version "works", but the animated graphics were lost. The voiceover paragraph entries are a nice touch though.

If you want the true classic experience, with its fantastic animated pixel art, emulate the original in DOS. The C64 and IIgs versions are graphically inferior.

As far as a walkthrough...you don't need one...but if you ever get stuck the solution is a google search away.

Actually, the gog version, which also is the same on steam as wasteland 1 - the original classic, has options to reenable the animated graphics (portraits), disable the Hq2x filters, and keep paragraphs/music. The music is just a soundtrack that loops. But it's excelent.

The remastered versionm is IDENTICAL gameplay-wise to the DOS version (I've seen complaints about some weapon/AI behavior, but I cant really comment on that myself), but sadly, they didn't implement the macros. It even has the same exploit/glitches, with the exception of the superloots.

But I would recomend the remaster anyway, for the following reasons:

- The visuals. Yeah, many complain, but one thing I hate about the original wasteland is the colorful EGA visuals that were, to me, completely opposed to what a wasteland looks like. I dig ultima 4/5, magic candle, but wasteland in DOS looks horrible to me (I mean the game world, not the portraint art). To be honest, I luike the C64 graphics more, because of the black backdrops. The bad side of the c64 version is that it is too slow. Back to the Remastered, it may look strange in screenshots, but it actually looks good and it grows on you, because they're also functional. and there's a nice day/night cicle that set the mood abit.

- The soundtrack is the same as the one embedded with the gog/steam version. But it now plays dinamically and changes in combat, locations, scenes, etc. Oh, and now you have sound effects.

- The DOS version had some gamebreaking bugs due to saving, and has only one save slot. GOG/Steam has a launcher where you can have multiple game saves, but still 1 per game. Remastered has save slots, quicksave, and no gamebreaking bugs due to saving.

- The portraits in remastered version are "improved", much like that GOG/steam re-release, but are now animated.

- There are nice and cool cutscenes, when certain important paragraphs are shown. They really makes the game a little nicer and even though the drawings are a bit rough, they fit well.

- In my experience, I managed to play all right without macros. I played side by side with the DOS version and I really get the importance of such feature and it's really a sin they missed the oportunity to add the feature. But I played it with no qualms, and I really enjoyed the whole wasteland 1 experience. there's no macros in any version of wasteland 1 other than the DOS version.

So, the main complaint is the graphics and macros. If that really bothers you, play the gog/steam edition of the original. When I say I played and enjoyed, I mean that I manage to start the game and only play it with no distraction or interruptions. I really liked the development, I had great fun I didn't have in a long time. Usually I play some long games and abandon a playthrough in the middle. But I only managed to get into it because the DOS visual were really garbage to me. But I enjoyed mostly because of gameplay/story/development. The remastered graphics only made the aesthetics acceptable to me.

Finally, the bad thing of this remastered is not the absence of macros, but an improved interface in which mouse clicks would do the job. Like contextual menu when pressing right menu and you could access the most used options like climb, picklock. But mouse works exactly like the original DOS, and clickin on the game screen has no effects. Clicks only work on menu options. This is where the interface fails.

Gregz

Arcane

Actually, the gog version, which also is the same on steam as wasteland 1 - the original classic, has options to reenable the animated graphics (portraits), disable the Hq2x filters, and keep paragraphs/music.

I don't see this option in the GOG version settings? Is it in the pregame settings, or while it's running, or perhaps a config file?

Edit: nevermind, you are right and I am dumb! Glad to be corrected, I missed that great artwork!

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Sup? https://steamcommunity.com/games/875800/announcements/detail/2785996724639883426

Wasteland Remastered – Macro Update Live

We've just released a new update for Wasteland Remastered on Steam, the Microsoft Store, and Xbox One that adds macroing abilities to assist with combat and repeatable actions. This was a request from many of those who played the original releases as macros quickly became "the way to play."

Macro Guide
Macro functions condense the several key strokes needed to give certain commands into one command.

Recording
  • To start recording a macro, press <CTRL> and any key from F1 through to F12 simultaneously.
  • A message will appear in the bottom right corner of the screen; to indicate the macro is recording.
  • You can then enter commands as normal, to store them in the macro.
  • When you want to stop recording the macro, press <SHIFT> and <ESC> simultaneously.

Play Back
  • To play back a macro, press <SHIFT> and the key from F1 through to F12 simultaneously, for the macro you want to play back.
  • Replace
  • You can replace a macro, by recording new commands to a macro that has been previously recorded.
  • This will delete the original macro.

If you are using a controller, holding the left trigger will open up a radial selection dialog, to handle recording and playing macros.

Macros will play back the inputs you selected. Please Note: as gameplay content changes, macro inputs may not interact as expected due to changing character abilities, weapon selection and other factors, similar to the original release.

For Veteran Players
  • Due to UI changes in the Remaster, the macro system works differently to the original release.
  • Depending on the circumstances, some keypresses are bound to only triggering if you are in the same state that you were when the macro was recorded. This means you cannot record a general macro while moving around a map; that will work in combat - you have to record the macro while in an encounter!
  • Keypresses that do not trigger anything in a particular area of combat will be ignored. So if you want to record a general attack macro that works for multiple groups, you'll need to create it when in an encounter with at least 2 enemy groups.
  • For example, when you only have 4 players in your party, with only single shot or melee weapons, if you recorded: 54325325251Y
  • This would:
    • attack group 4 with player 1 (if there is a group 4)
    • attack group 3 with player 1 (if there is a group 3)
    • attack group 2 with player 1 (if there is a group 2)
    • attack group 3 with player 2 (if there is a group 3)
    • attack group 2 with player 2 (if there is a group 2)
    • attack group 2 with player 3 (if there is a group 2)
    • attack group 1 with player 4
    • confirm the attack commands

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
  • Due to UI changes in the Remaster, the macro system works differently to the original release.
  • Depending on the circumstances, some keypresses are bound to only triggering if you are in the same state that you were when the macro was recorded. This means you cannot record a general macro while moving around a map; that will work in combat - you have to record the macro while in an encounter!
  • Keypresses that do not trigger anything in a particular area of combat will be ignored. So if you want to record a general attack macro that works for multiple groups, you'll need to create it when in an encounter with at least 2 enemy groups.
It's still kinda sad that they have not managed to bring back the macro system without making it worse.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This whole thing is a joke. Wasteland is actually one of the most accessible old CRPGs in existence and anyone new to it should really just play the original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom