Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroquest boardgame and why it's so great

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Paint job is shit.
Actually, that was one of the great things with Heroquest/Space Crusade. You didn't need to paint the mini, they were alreay color coded (good guys in red, undead in white, greenskins in green...), and Space Crusade even had exchangeable arms with weapons.
This was much better than GW recent offering, like Battle at Calth and its grey identical miniatures for loyalists and traitors, that require you to make final loadout choices at the time you assemble the minis.

Self-Ejected

dream expert

Self-Ejected
Actually, that was one of the great things with Heroquest/Space Crusade. You didn't need to paint the mini, they were alreay color coded (good guys in red, undead in white, greenskins in green...), and Space Crusade even had exchangeable arms with weapons.

I already knew that. But the dude painted a few of them, and they were shit. Good video though.

EDIT: I sometimes fantasize that I'll make a short tactical game using some of GW's barroom brawl rules. But then I remember all my White Dwarf magazines are in storage somewhere, and I forget all about it.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

I already knew that. But the dude painted a few of them, and they were shit. Good video though.

EDIT: I sometimes fantasize that I'll make a short tactical game using some of GW's barroom brawl rules. But then I remember all my White Dwarf magazines are in storage somewhere, and I forget all about it.
Indeed, his point still stands!
Heroquest was awesome, so was Space Crusade.

Falksi

Arcane
b3PohuF.jpg

CYMlzUz.jpg

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
And... it"s back, kind of...
https://heroquest.avalonhill.com/en-us

That is, if it passes the 1.000.000$ "not-kickstarter" on Hasbro site (and it seems to be for Canada and US only).
https://hasbropulse.com/products/heroquest-game-system

HEROIC-TIER-IMAGE_1440x.png

They also removed everything Warhammer in the references, but heh, the Old world doesn't exist anymore, and I'm glad it is not set in AoS!
There is no mention of the game system at all. I am a bit worried of having the move dice back :D

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
Not a fan of that cover or character art on the cards but the black and white art on the wepage ranges from good to okay.

Could have been worse, still might be if they really messed with the rules.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Half funded in 4 hours.
I hope they also included better rules this time:
  • Monsters died way too quickly in the EU version (and were HP bags in the US one)
  • No incentive to not take 32 turns to reposition before every single room
  • Rolling dice to move, seriously?
As the Bardic guy said, Heroquest was there for us at the right time, but will children of today really get anything from it at this price tag, now that there are many more points of entries into the hobby (be it RPG, "heavy" boardgames or wargames)?

I think this is aimed much more squarely at old neckbeards rather than new kids. The $100 price tag is a key giveaway. That's still cheaper than a lot of mini-heavy crowdfunded board games but it still doesn't feel like "Mass market game made by a major manufacturer at a really reasonable price".

I dunno, I am sorely tempted to go for the $150 tier. I know I shouldn't, I'd be better off buying fucking Gloomhaven if I want a dungeon crawling boardgame I'm never going to play to sit on a shelf, but Heroquest has nostalgia for me. I've still got my heavy battered and mangled copies of both Heroquest and Warhammerquest floating around somewhere.

Alex

Arcane
The cover is awful.

But it's not limited to that. What happened to the Dwarf:

bx3QVVW.jpg

The dwarf?! What did they do the the elf??

Tranny-Elf.png

I mean, I dislike elves as much as the next guy, but this is just too much. The HeroQuest elf was even kinda cook, as far as elves go anyway, in that it had that old british fantasy game feel...

grimace

Arcane
© 2020 Hasbro. All rights reserved. All audio, visual and textual content on this site (including all names, characters, images, trademarks and logos) are protected by trademarks, copyrights and other Intellectual Property rights owned by Hasbro or its subsidiaries, licensors, licensees, suppliers and accounts.

What has Hasbro done to earn our trust?

Codex Year of the Donut
The cover is awful.

But it's not limited to that. What happened to the Dwarf:

bx3QVVW.jpg

The dwarf?! What did they do the the elf??

Tranny-Elf.png

I mean, I dislike elves as much as the next guy, but this is just too much. The HeroQuest elf was even kinda cook, as far as elves go anyway, in that it had that old british fantasy game feel...
hehe elf boobies

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom