Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

RegionalHobo

Scholar
i wonder how far they'll go with the rpg elements, my expectations are low, a railroaded action game with a self insert in the hp setting

any relevant choice and consequence or even persona lite mechanics with the students and i'll be surprised

Deleted member 28561

But the first leads to the second. It's like being all for rolling that boulder from the top of the hill, but being against that boulder smashing into that house sitting underneath the hill.
Homosexuality is a thing since times immemorial, surgical mutilations are more recent.
You are wrong, genital mutilation has very long been present, in the East and in Africa. Men and women both. Desert tribes brought it to America. Eunuchs too have been around for a long time.

thesecret1

Arcane
Homosexuality is a thing since times immemorial, surgical mutilations are more recent.
There was that tranny late roman emperor who had himself castrated. Really, the only reason we haven't seen this kind of degeneracy before was because it was usually quickly stamped out, and because doing surgery carried too high a risk of consequent death.

jackofshadows

Magister
what, with a time machine?
M-A-G-I-C
As long as I can use my atrocity stick on a Slytherine cutie, I'm good.
757644_138277.jpg

Gastrick

Cipher
Harry Potter is such a forgettable series and overall is lame/cringe. The last book ended up being the best because they weren't stuck in some boarding school anymore unlike the rest. It also made feminist zero-tits Hermoine into a big actress.
We know the game will have two genders but every other SJW position may be there. They may clue in though that the woke crowd is automatically alienated and not bother to pander. Then again Netflix keeping cuties shows that for some companies it isn't really about the money.
Characters using guns in Harry Potter may not fit well with the whole school setting.
Not in Iran, they don't have homosexuality there.

I wouldn't look to Harry Potter for coherent magic. JK Rowling has stated that magic is used to service the plot or achieve her ends. Rules and framework don't exist, and it's only as consistent as necessary to avoid ruining the immersion of the reader.

I'm a bit curious as to how deep the mechanics go, and what kinds of things they'll let players do. HP magic is about as unbalanced as it comes, so there is potential for a lot of fun. The biggest problem I foresee, is that this game will be created for children despite the core fan base being in their late 20s and early 30s.

She could've claimed that until the fourth novel, where it's explicitly stated that ANYONE can use the three forbidden spells. There's nothing special about them. They aren't this horrible power possessed only by people of pure evil, as they should be in a fable. Instead, you can just pick it up in your spare time.

If memory serves I think Rowling hints in the books that Magic is affected by someone's emotions. This is most prevalent in pre teens with accidental magic. Which probably means the reason wizards have to wait till they're 11 to get a wand and go to wizard school is that by that point they're starting to gain a level of awareness that at least allows limited control of emotions and thus magic. I remember something in the books about the forbidden spells being way more effective depending on how much emotion you put into them. Like when Harry used Crucio on Bellatrix after she killed Sirius. An inherently good natured wizard will not be able to make good use of the forbidden curses compared to a dark lord or death eater who can put all their malice into it. Spells in HP do have the potential to fail. Look at the eternal incompetence of Neville LongBottom for most of the books until JK needed him to grow balls at the last second.

The more realistic explanation is, right now there is no force stopping you from acquiring a gun and shooting someone. Oh sure there are laws perhaps. But anyone can use a gun. The hard bit is finding a gun, especially if you live in a country that forbids gun ownership. The Forbidden curses are forbidden by law but again nothing is stopping you from using them. And Wizards in HP are a conformist, conservative society that mostly obeys the law. There are exceptions to this of course. But bear in mind, you still need to learn to use the Forbidden curses. The knowledge of how to use them is most likely illegal to posses. And even if you could do all three of the curses, if you get caught you are going to get your soul sucked out by a literal embodiment of entropy the wizarding world has enslaved for use as wardens of a prison.

I've absorbed too much Harry Potter lore from being forced to read it to my kids when they were younger. Don't judge me.

Also make the game like the Zelda style ones they put out on the original Xbox me and my Oldest son used to play. Open world Hogwarts, unlock more areas and secrets depending on what spells you learned. Do that but with a custom RPG Protag. Tah.

Harthwain

Magister
I've absorbed too much Harry Potter lore from being forced to read it to my kids when they were younger. Don't judge me.
No need to judge. Harry Potter books are a good read. Rowling did manage to create an interesting world basing on the premise of "school for kids, but with magic" in the middle of it. School-oriented drama is relatable for younger readers (and probably older readers, because most people went to school at some point in their lives) and magic is generally cool, so it should not all that surprising that even grown up people like the series. Also, as Harry gets older so the themes start to grow darker and books get bigger.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
No need to judge. Harry Potter books are a good read. Rowling did manage to create an interesting world basing on the premise of "school for kids, but with magic" in the middle of it. School-oriented drama is relatable for younger readers (and probably older readers, because most people went to school at some point in their lives) and magic is generally cool, so it should not all that surprising that even grown up people like the series. Also, as Harry gets older so the themes start to grow darker and books get bigger.

Honestly, as children's books, the first four or five aren't half bad. I didn't bother to finish the series because I think around that time the target audience changed and it was no longer a light-hearted fantasy, but darkier and edgier (which few people can do right and certainly not JK Rowling).

Reinhardt

Arcane
"somewhat competent writers are not involved"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom