Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's your favorite fantasy RPG class?

My favorite class is...

• Barbarian

Votes: 10 6.2%
  • Bard

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Cleric

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • Druid

Votes: 12 7.4%
  • Fighter

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Monk

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Paladin

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • Ranger

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Rogue

Votes: 18 11.1%
  • Sorceror

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Warlock

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Wizard

Votes: 24 14.8%
  • My favorite class isn't listed (post)

Votes: 10 6.2%
  • I don't really have a favorite class

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I don't actually like fantasy RPGs very much

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Absinthe

Arcane
How can you go wrong with a cleric?
Easy. All you need is a setting that actually enforces your deity's ethos on your Cleric and you will know the same pain that D&D Paladins do.

Clerics fight better than fighters after a certain point. 3/4 BAB? Good thing they get access to Divine Power. And Enlarge Person. And domains like War, Strength, Glory, etc.
You are assuming he is referring to the same edition of D&D you are.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Knights of Solamnia

flightofthedragonlance_product_001.jpg

Funposter

Arcane
Sorcerer and Paladin in the traditional DnD sense. I also like playing Witch-y type characters and purely martial Knights (Speech, heavily armoured, etc).

tindrli

Arcane
first time i always play wizard. then thief, and later on if i play i mostly play some multi thief class

Falksi

Arcane
Barbarian is my favorite class.
Unfortunately, they're done wrong most of the time

It does amaze me that so few games use Barbarians, or any form of warrior, as AOE or crowd control.

Dragon Age: Awakenings touched on it, but these chaps should be able to control the battlefield just as much as a wizard by throwing people around, swing their weapons in large circles, picking up objects & launching them etc.

Would make them a damn sight more interesting than the usual shield bash or "hit the cunt REALLY hard"

Last edited:

Palomides

Augur
In worlds where the divine truly exist, it makes sense to be a cleric, and become a powerful vessel for your god.

It does depend on the setting, of course.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Alcoholic is not really a class, is it?
:smug:
It is if you want it to be.
Also a Fin calling me an alcoholic feels like the crowning achievement of me career.

To mistake Thief AKA Bulgarian, for alcoholic... ahh those Finns.
Yeah,they really do drink too much. I do prefer a good slow burner that enjoys the drink,they just slurp 200ml on ex and fall bellow the table.

Gargaune

Magister
Going with Cleric for similar reasons as the OP, spellcasting and martial ability in one shiny, platemail package. I'd actually be more partial to the Paladin in that respect, but I'm not always up for committing to the Lawful Good role.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
TIMEMAGE.
That or Redmage. Summoners and Geomancers are cool aswell.

If I have to limit myself to boring classes then Druid, because they are the most interesting fullcaster. Wizard, because they are the OG fullcaster. Ranger, because they are a Druid and an Archer stapled together.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
For some reason I absolutely despise monks in fantasy settings - the whole idea of unarmed man going on mobs twice his size or decked with full plate with his bare hands just seems silly and immersion breaking.

The only way this class/archetype could work for me is either:

1. Give them some spell-like mind/psi powers and make them more similar to regular casters, but with a little twist (i.e not relying on mana/casts per day, but something else, dunno)
2. Make them more like ninja/samurai types, utilizing katanas/wakizashis etc, more like glass cannon kensai from BG2

I take it you love Wizardry monks then?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
TIMEMAGE.
That or Redmage. Summoners and Geomancers are cool aswell.

If I have to limit myself to boring classes then Druid, because they are the most interesting fullcaster. Wizard, because they are the OG fullcaster. Ranger, because they are a Druid and an Archer stapled together.
Classes are overrated but Timemage is obviously the best.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Classes annoy me because they end up being so arbitrary. It's not a gradual development, instead it's X specific number of levels to get Y ability with a fancy name and a multi-paragraph explanation.
Much better to have skills and abilities which can be semi-freely mixed.

While it can diverting to occasionally slum around as a caddie or trash remover, we all know Wizard is the distinguished choice.:obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom