Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil Village - now featuring giant vampire MILFs

Ash

Arcane
fork said:
Remake 2 is the only good one of the OTS-cam REs.

At least I'm not mentally retarded.

Lol ok.

You do realize RE2Remake is a hybridization of RE4 and RE2, with none of the finer qualities of either. Not the cool constantly changing action, gunplay and pacing of RE4, not the awesome tone, suspense and believability/immersion of RE2/Classic style. Aside from the bastardized aspects of RE2Remake (cut content, no soundtrack unless you pay ha ha you fucking retard, lol just walk past every licker when possible, lazy ugly rehashed RE7 UI, dumb plot elements etc etc), this is why I don't rate it highly (7.5/10 or whatever). It doesn't achieve any particular high note, even if the gameplay is a little bit better than the original. Not that important when the orignal did absolutely everything else better, and the series' gameplay high is RE4 which REmake2 doesn't come close to achieving.

People need to stop placing REmake2 on some pedestal. It's alright, but you have to be overlooking some pretty major decline to think it marks up to the classics. Looking at you DJOGamer PT ...I guess since it has slightly better gameplay than the OG and you're a fellow gameplayfag, well I respect that. I am gameplay above all too, but the original just did everything else better than I can't rank it as lesser. Gameplay first, but everything else is important too, especially collectively. and especially in a horror game that is supposed to rely on tension, horror, immersion etc.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane

Ash

Arcane
RE4 had great things going for it but the drops from enemies and crates were basically difficulty scaling. I dont know why they did that since you already had the knife attack and the kick which didnt use ammo.

The significance of this one difficulty scaling feature is vastly overstated. From what I understand it's just like one line of code that alters the drop list of enemies: makes enemies more likely to drop health/ammo. If they don't drop ammo/health, guess what, they drop money instead. What can you do with that money? buy first aid sprays, weapon upgrades, a goddamn rocket launcher...so it's really not changing much.

Furthermore resource management is just one aspect of difficulty.

You have to be able to even get to that item. drops are timed then disappear.

Lastly, professional difficulty is appropriately challenging and any minor diff. scaling feature doesn't do anything to change that. You will die first time through in this mode, many times.
Game has true high IQ prestigious monocled difficulty because it has checkpoint-based restricted saving/loading. Lets not poke fun at a non-issue like a minor hand-holder for people that suck ass at games. OK it's not a non-issue, but relative to the level of brainless challenge the majority of the industry offers these days in particular it just seems like much ado about nothing.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
RE4 had great things going for it but the drops from enemies and crates were basically difficulty scaling. I dont know why they did that since you already had the knife attack and the kick which didnt use ammo.

The significance of this one difficulty scaling feature is vastly overstated. From what I understand it's just like one line of code that alters the drop list of enemies: makes enemies more likely to drop health/ammo.
difficulty scaling makes enemies deal way more damage and acting more aggressive if you're not dying for a long stretch of the game. Some speedrunners even intentionally kill Ashley just to lower the difficulty and make running past enemies easier.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Looking at you DJOGamer PT...

Hey man I already said my piece on REmake 2
Regardless of it's flaws the game is enganging, something the series hasn't been for years
And that is a good sign, one that allows one to once again hope for something better...

That was until REmake 3 fucked that up too...

(sigh)

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Generic-Giant-Spider you may get some spider action this time

AmbitiousFirsthandFlickertailsquirrel-small.gif

Spoil me, Capcom.

Kainan

Learned

The significance of this one difficulty scaling feature is vastly overstated. From what I understand it's just like one line of code that alters the drop list of enemies: makes enemies more likely to drop health/ammo. If they don't drop ammo/health, guess what, they drop money instead. What can you do with that money? buy first aid sprays, weapon upgrades, a goddamn rocket launcher...so it's really not changing much.

Furthermore resource management is just one aspect of difficulty.

You have to be able to even get to that item. drops are timed then disappear.

Lastly, professional difficulty is appropriately challenging and any minor diff. scaling feature doesn't do anything to change that. You will die first time through in this mode, many times.
Game has true high IQ prestigious monocled difficulty because it has checkpoint-based restricted saving/loading. Lets not poke fun at a non-issue like a minor hand-holder for people that suck ass at games. OK it's not a non-issue, but relative to the level of brainless challenge the majority of the industry offers these days in particular it just seems like much ado about nothing.
None of the acomplishments i made mattered, and all the failures were rewarded by health or ammo. I felt like a retard while playing it and its why i never finished it.

Consul

Arbiter
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a little bit disappointed with the direction this franchise is going. Witches, magic and werewolves are contrary to what the RE series was about, i.e. horror and tension stemming from creatures, which origins could be scientifically explained. It's always been about fighting overcoming dangers and monsters that came about as a result of some sort of virus, those fantasy elements that are going to be introduced in RE8 conflict with the fundamentals of the series as far as the setting goes. I'm sure it's going to be a decent game, perhaps even a decent horror game. I like what they have shown so far, the atmosphere looks amazing, the environments are gorgeous. However, I don't understand (besides the obvious financial reasons) why they feel the need to make it a RE game, considering how far it deviates from what made RE, RE. RE8 doesn't look like a RE game.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Consul what made you think those witches and werewolves aren't just another type of BOW / product of another alphabet virus?

Ppl were saying the same thing about RE7 - "oh no, they are adding ghosts, it's not RE anymore, it's a PT clone!" Turned out that ghost was just a hallucination and RE7 is still about mutants and biological weapons.

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

There won't be any spiders. Do you have any idea how much work it takes to animate all those legs? It's too much work for developers in 2020.

Yeah, this. And spiders are problematic in 2020, there are lots and lots of people with arachnophobia.

Consul

Arbiter
Consul what made you think those witches and werewolves aren't just another type of BOW / product of another alphabet virus?

Ppl were saying the same thing about RE7 - no, they are adding ghosts, it's not RE anymore, it's a PT clone! Turned out that ghost was just a hallucination and RE7 is still about mutants and biological weapons.
I read something about witches transforming into spiders? You could argue that those witches are really BOW, and the transformation is a result of a virus, but it doesn't make me like it more. Werewolves also could be explained as BOW, but for me witches and werewolves are commonly associated with fantasy and putting them in RE doesn't feel right. They should simply create a new franchise if they want to go in such a drastically different direction. I would see it in a more positive light if it wasn't a RE title, because the trailers look promising for a horror game.

Kitchen Utensil

Ppl were saying the same thing about RE7 - no, they are adding ghosts, it's not RE anymore, it's a PT clone! Turned out that ghost was just a hallucination and RE7 is still about mutants and biological weapons.
I read something about witches transforming into spiders? You could argue that those witches are really BOW, and the transformation is a result of a virus, but it doesn't make me like it more. Werewolves also could be explained as BOW, but for me witches and werewolves are commonly associated with fantasy and putting them in RE doesn't feel right. They should simply create a new franchise if they want to go in such a drastically different direction. I would see it in a more positive light if it wasn't a RE title, because the trailers look promising for a horror game.

They haven't created new franchises for RE4 nor RE7. Why should they now.

Wunderbar

Arcane

I think Capcom are just trying new things and throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.
For RE7 they were taking heavy inspirations from films such as Texas chainsaw massacre and Evil dead, looks like this time they are following Gothic horror.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Werewolves also could be explained as BOW, but for me witches and werewolves are commonly associated with fantasy and putting them in RE doesn't feel right.
Werewolves and witches are just as much horror staples as zombies, and predate any modern style of fantasy. I mean yeah technically there is a "scientific" explanation for the zombies in RE but it's all incredibly absurd and far-fetched excuses for having monsters. So what it really comes down to is how the material is handled, on an individual basis, in terms of tone, pacing, visuals etc. For example RE1 and RE6 both featured the same style of "scientific" zombies and BOWs, but whereas RE1 handled everything in a pretty reserved way and has great atmosphere, RE6 was a retarded comic book chinese fantasy for mongoloids. In that sense I think it's possible to handle witches and werewolves in a way that is closer to the real horror tone seen in the early RE games than what was seen in the later RE games even despite those having only zombies and BOWs.

Anyway I'm pretty sure the witches are going to be similar to the little girl from RE7; shape-shifting powers explained by being fungal forms, "magic" that is really microscopic fungal spores fucking with people's brains, etc. Although personally I wouldn't mind if they said fuck it and went supernatural, but I highly doubt that will happen.

But then I really liked RE7 so I have become stupidly optimistic after hating RE4 - RE6 and everything the RE series has produced in the last decade or so.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a little bit disappointed with the direction this franchise is going. Witches, magic and werewolves are contrary to what the RE series was about, i.e. horror and tension stemming from creatures, which origins could be scientifically explained. It's always been about fighting overcoming dangers and monsters that came about as a result of some sort of virus, those fantasy elements that are going to be introduced in RE8 conflict with the fundamentals of the series as far as the setting goes. I'm sure it's going to be a decent game, perhaps even a decent horror game. I like what they have shown so far, the atmosphere looks amazing, the environments are gorgeous. However, I don't understand (besides the obvious financial reasons) why they feel the need to make it a RE game, considering how far it deviates from what made RE, RE. RE8 doesn't look like a RE game.
Have you played any RE game?

Ash

Arcane
No, he's right. RE1, 2 and 3 were pretty immersive and believable experiences, and every enemy type had some kind of attempt to flesh out with psuedo-scientific explanation or implication, didn't defy the laws of physics in startling ways, etc. Since RE4 and Code Veronica the series has progressively gone into the deep end with all kinds of weird shit and zero attempt to back it up. From Wesker with general-relativity defying superpowers, to insane mutations from human to the size of the largest whale in mere seconds, to anime action scenes like ten punch man vs boulder, to spider lady, to witches and warewolves.

Resident Evil is just very different now to what it was then, and worse. Just like every other long-standing series. RE4 is the outlier because while it started this trend it had great gameplay to make one forgive the abandoment of the series' intial great concepts. Too bad none of the new Resident Evil's have even come close to being as good as RE4 or the classic trilogy.

Take fallout, for instance. every mutation of the wasteland is semi-believable. Things get bigger, mostly. And it even has its own zombies. There's some slightly more extreme mutations through experimentation (super mutants). Nothing too out there. This is just like classic Resident Evil. Now if they turned from one species to another entirely different species, humans punched rocks when they can't otherwise move them, the brotherhood of steel did cartwheels and dodged bullets with magic instead of relying on tech as their advantage...you should get the point by now.

Modern game designers are seemingly almost universally lame talentless hacks, Japanese or western.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
Have you played any RE game?

He obviously has since what he said is true for the most part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom