Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Andronovo

Learned
I beat Doom 4 on nightmare, I thought it was getting a little easy near the end. So I figured Eternal wouldn't be too much trouble on nightmare.

Fuck me, I'm getting my ass handed to me. I can't just bob and weave my way through combat anymore, the projectiles are so much faster. And I have to juggle so much shit at once. It's like relearning how to play on nightmare all over again.

ArisatoSeldom

Novice
Eternal wouldn't be too much trouble on nightmare.
Eternal have fucked up progression. Game frontload you with bunch of different mobs when you do not have all the tools to deal with them. After some power ups and additional weapons it's become much easier. Too easy even.
You'll be able to upgrade everything by the end of the game (or almost everything by midway), but in the beginning shitty load out, due to unbalanced weapon upgrades (just like In 2016), makes your life unbearable on nightmare (so grenade shotgun again. It's must have now, due to 1shot of cacos and ammo economy). All flaws of the game are seen on nightmare difficulty.
Your best weapons are plasmagun with wave upgrade and minigun with a shield. Once I've got those I have stopped using other weapons, except on certain bosses, where salvo rocket is a king. But YMMV.
And always use shift. Just spam it like there is no tommorow. Game designed around non-stop shift spam. Because otherwise you are TOO SLOW.

Maybe it's only me, but DOOMetroid: Eternal Prime does not feel like shooter. It's freaking first person platformer half-assed bullet hell with out of nowhere power ups for the sake of it.
I truly cannot understand, how it ended up this way. 2016 was meh and slow, but still it was a shooter.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The platforming is really easy and not excessive. Nothing screams boomer more than acting like it's am impassable travesty.

P.S. Play Mirror's Edge.

ArisatoSeldom

Novice
Platforming is really least of the problems. Game direction and design itself is the actual problem. It feels off.
I understand, that someone who played on ultra-violence and lower won't get it, because game is fun(?) and easy on these difficulties.

And no. It's not about nightmare being "hard".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I said months ago that the harder difficulties require too much Pavlov "color hit this, shape hit that, chainsaw, repeat." I lowered the difficulty for that reason. I also liked the game less than 2016 because of the greater focus on these mechanics which limit player freedom. However I still don't think the platforming was a big deal.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I don't know about you guys, but I think Argent Tower from 2016 did platforming great, possibly also because you actually died if you made a mistake. Also had some pretty cool level design-based combat with the Imps on the bridge. I died multiple times to those cunts on UNightmare. This also shows that an element of the game can be made better by level design. The scope upgrade is pretty useless in 2016 but against those imps it was a godsend.

What I want from the next game is more level design-based encounters, with smartly placed enemies, devious traps and so on and more exploration to make the admittedly beautiful levels feel less like movie sets. Perhaps levels like Foundry and Argent Facility aren't too realistic but they felt real to me due to their interconnectivity.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Argent Tower was shit, but i guess it was better than anything in Doom Eternal and the spiderman retardation.

We can all agree real level design would improve the game greatly but we also all know we are not gonna get it. Level design in this game means how to fuck you up even more by putting monsters in increasingly inconvenient places. Like the Marauder, where every time he showed up the encounter was made harder by putting him in a tiny corridor, or by shoving him in a huge arena fight.

RapineDel

Augur
In the context of modern FPS Doom Eternal is pretty good.

The level design is still fairly simple, mostly just corridors with the same little platforming bits to break up the arenas (plus the secrets are mostly piss easy to find) but I do think the array of enemies, guns etc. still puts it at the top of the list if you're looking at AAA FPS in 2020.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
In the context of modern FPS Doom Eternal is pretty good.

The level design is still fairly simple, mostly just corridors with the same little platforming bits to break up the arenas (plus the secrets are mostly piss easy to find) but I do think the array of enemies, guns etc. still puts it at the top of the list if you're looking at AAA FPS in 2020.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

scale_1200

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Exactly. "Best recent AAA FPS" isn't a high bar to clear when all of the other contenders for that spot are irredeemable garbage to begin with.

Also, the level design isn't just fairly simple: It's laughably juvenile, and actually regressed from D44M. Competent level design is like a long lost art at this point. The torch only being carried on by hobbyist Quake and Doom mappers, cooking up stuff on rickety old engines that completely blow anything a team of professionals can come up with out of the water.

Perkel

Arcane
Not really a fan of nuDoom, (can't handle piniata enemies in my doom) but being for free probably will try it.

ArisatoSeldom

Novice
I've replayed the game on a bet with my friend to show that it's a bad fps, who thinks that this is TEH BEST MASTAPIECE SHOOTA of the time (one less friend for me soon, I guess).
For some reason I feel that Eternal would be much better game and actually good, if it was third person with auto aiming aka DMC and style points in it. Or it's just my friend's influence affects my mind, trying to salvage this game.

UserNamer

Cipher
Exactly. "Best recent AAA FPS" isn't a high bar to clear when all of the other contenders for that spot are irredeemable garbage to begin with.

Also, the level design isn't just fairly simple: It's laughably juvenile, and actually regressed from D44M. Competent level design is like a long lost art at this point. The torch only being carried on by hobbyist Quake and Doom mappers, cooking up stuff on rickety old engines that completely blow anything a team of professionals can come up with out of the water.
I have to say I consider doom eternal, overall, as good as the classics in terms of fun and enjoyment. (Yeah) but, the level design is way too simple, you have amazing backdrops but there is almost no sense of place or of exploration, a far cry from stuff like arcane dimensions. Not sure we will get to that level ever in a modern ASS fps. The encounter design is interesting enough for me as are the arenas from a gameplay perspective but in terms of layout, ptogression, exploration, is as basic and uninteresting as it gets

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom