Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Why Owlcat's Kingmaker Sucks, in Plain Language

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Jesus, learn how to configure your autopause, information level, and v button before ignorantly bitching like a bunch of menopausal women.

It’s perfectly easy to follow if you watch your combat log.

bec de corbin

Educated
The idea of party AI being on by default is stupid anyway. An advanced, experienced CRPG player is either going to have no issue micromanaging a party or he's at least going to set up his own custom AI scripts. A less-experienced player is better served by being taught that he has an entire party at his disposal and should learn how to best make use of them instead of letting them do their own thing.
There are no AI scripts in pathfinder, custom or otherwise, and the party AI is just auto-attacking forever (except for Octavia who always casts catrips even if you give her a bow)

Desiderius

Patron
Right-click Charge to get her to use her bow. Linzi will do the same thing if you give her a Sorc level.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
The idea of party AI being on by default is stupid anyway. An advanced, experienced CRPG player is either going to have no issue micromanaging a party or he's at least going to set up his own custom AI scripts. A less-experienced player is better served by being taught that he has an entire party at his disposal and should learn how to best make use of them instead of letting them do their own thing.
There are no AI scripts in pathfinder, custom or otherwise, and the party AI is just auto-attacking forever (except for Octavia who always casts catrips even if you give her a bow)
That's... fucking horrific. Holy shit.

Desiderius you're persistent indeed. May be there are still people who can Make America Great Again...

Who knows, if you two keep shilling hard enough you might even make Russia great again.

Russia was never great.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Great literature, but you’re lacking a couple SDs to appreciate that.

This is a game for people who like to do the fucking shit up ourselves, not sit back and watch someone else do it. Maybe find a game more suited to cucks like yourself.

bec de corbin

Educated
Right-click Charge to get her to use her bow. Linzi will do the same thing if you give her a Sorc level.

Maybe the game developers could have trusted me to tell her to auto-cast acid splash if I for some asinine reason decided to have her do that? Who can say

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected

This is a game for people who like to do the fucking shit up ourselves, not sit back and watch someone else do it. Maybe find a game more suited to cucks like yourself.

For basic, unimportant random encounter type shit I'd almost just as soon set them to autopilot

"Oh a bunch of wolves, man I'm REALLY going to need all my tactical acumen for this one" said nobody ever

Owlcat's design shows a strange ignorance of how players approach games.
In general its very obvious that Owlcat is very inexperienced when it comes to making not only RPGs but also games in general. Kingmkaer is brimming with odd design choices, crappy technical implementations, bad writing, moon logic to quests and dialogue, so on and so forth. I commend them for their adaptation of the Pathfinder ruleset to a video game, and managing to pull all this off with such a small and n00b team, but I sure do hope they improve by at least and order of magnitude for Wrath of the Righteous.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Kingmkaer is brimming with odd design choices, crappy technical implementations, bad writing, moon logic to quests and dialogue, so on and so forth.
That's why it's great.
I sure do hope they improve by at least and order of magnitude for Wrath of the Righteous.
I sure do hope they will not. They do not have the shackles of Western developers that make them cater to oligophrens.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
:lol: I somewhat agree with the bad design criticism.
It's nearly impossible to convince anyone Kingdom management is a good feature.
I tried convincing myself it's part of the 'narrative' of the struggle of a newly formed kingdom.
But it's not. It's just bad gameplay.

Desiderius

Patron

For basic, unimportant random encounter type shit I'd almost just as soon set them to autopilot

"Oh a bunch of wolves, man I'm REALLY going to need all my tactical acumen for this one" said nobody ever

Good luck at the bottom of the Ruined Watchtower map then.

This game doesn't have many unimportant random encounters and when it does autoattack is fine. I've never found an AI in any cRPG that was anywhere near my standard of play. Autoattack is in fact an improvement on the vast majority.

Desiderius

Patron
I've found that 95% of players don' t understand the first thing about how it works or what it's for. The usual shitty ignorant nihilist aversion to independent, original thought/exploration.

It has way more good content in it than anyone thinks. Also buildings and endgame suck balls.

Desiderius

Patron

Maybe the game developers could have trusted me to tell her to auto-cast acid splash if I for some asinine reason decided to have her do that? Who can say

Well when they trusted you with all kinds of other things you fucked that up and cried about it so they had to nerf a bunch of shit so I can't blame them.

It's a somewhat advanced play to get to the point that attacking with a weapon is better than other alternatives, especially on Arcane Trickster like Octavia.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
:lol: I somewhat agree with the bad design criticism.
It's nearly impossible to convince anyone Kingdom management is a good feature.
I tried convincing myself it's part of the 'narrative' of the struggle of a newly formed kingdom.
But it's not. It's just bad gameplay.

Most of my gripes are with how absolutely unrelatable and hamfisted Amiri and Val are as characters and some of the writing/dialogue. The whole "characters just autoattack when left to their own devices" thing can be worked around, it does baffle me that Owlcat decided to make that part of their AI at all instead of just leaving them unscripted or allowing custom scripts. There are situations where it feels like metaknowledge is almost necessary to not get fucked in the ass, I'm not really fond of how time-consuming travel is and how much camping is involved, but I haven't noticed any bugs yet (which is what initially killed ToEE for me until I found all the patches, fixes etc.) Not really looking forward to the kingdom management part, as I have heard that it's possible to blunder into failstates really easily without metaknowledge.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Writing isn't their strongest point - if you're looking for something deeper in the narrative: don't. They're pretty straightforward. Owlcat inexperience and ambitions combine to create a game filled with very uneven content. The vast quantity of points of interest just presents a combat scenario that failed to live up to the hype once you picked up the basics of Regular AC vs Touch, Saving Throws, and Flanking bonuses.

I think you should just play with the assumption that the DM is out to get you to fail.
So play to the best of your ability.

You don't have to rest when you're fatigued (-2 Physical stats). Just watch your party encumbrance. The medium encumbrance is ok, heavy will slow you down and tire you faster.
You're not playing iron man here, so feel free to experiment. Chapter 1 is lenient with the time limit. I recall the entire party being cursed (-2 CON) and I refused to pay the priest to treat that ailment, instead, I waited till my cleric cured it by casting Remove Curse.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
"the learning process"
i wish that was why i rerolled constantly and never went much farther than vordakai

truth is i have terminal restartitis

pls spread awareness

There's a way of being able to "farm off" characters to different folders, so you don't have to do that - e.g. if you have 5 characters at various levels through the game, you can pick up where they left off as different characters, with their own game "folders." And you can do it as many times as you want. Here's the procedure:-

Make a manual save "character x to character y respec" or something like that, respec your main, give it a new name, and save over. This will change the game folder name to the name of the new character. But don't worry.
Create a new character with the same name, same starting attributes and manual save "New character xxx build yyy" after last convo with linzi (as ppl are shuffling out of the hall to bed).
Copy the "Game ID" from the Header.json of that save over to the Header.json of the the "character x to character y respec" save.
That save will now appear in the new game's folder, immediately after "New character xxx build yyy", and the original character's folder will reappear, minus that save.

(To do this comfortably use winRAR and Notepad(++). WinRAR allows you to change a document in a compressed file and resave it back into the compressed file without having to unpack then repack the whole file.)

What this means is that you can be restarting new builds from the middle of the game instead of always the beginning. Of course you're stuck with whatever progression through the story, companion choices, quest choices, etc., you had with the original character you respecced, but usually if you have several characters, you've covered most of the bases in terms of doing different things (e.g. having an evil character or two, having different alignments, etc.), and you've at least beaten the Stag Lord and done all that starter stuff.

Means you never have to do the Sycamore cave ever again (unless you want to :) ). Also, you're "starting" new characters at the middle levels, so you already have some new toys to play with, instead of being a schlub with a crossbow.

(Note: if your alignment is different, you can change the kingdom's alignment using Bag of Tricks - don't know if it makes any difference, but it might be worth doing to align the kingdom with your character.)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom