Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout What's the reason for the courier to care about the main story of New Vegas?

madhouse

Fallout game that has a grittier atmosphere and one shot headshot mechanics and in general more dealdy combat would be of massive appeal to me.

Wouldn't feel like Fallout. :M
Wouldn't feel like 3D fallout, but it would certainly feel closer to 2D ones. Not that they didn't suffer from HP bloating, but at least it wasn't as comical as magdumping bullets into somebody's head and seeing minimal results. For me 3D Fallouts have always been Oblivion with guns.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
People who try to turn Fallout into a post-apoc survival simulator completely miss the point of Fallout
Surviving ten headshots was fine for Fallout 1 and 2 for they are isometric, and therefore kinda abstract in how battle takes place, and you can even use your imagination, like bullets ricocheting of the guy's helmet ten times in a row. But in 3D this fails miserably; when you shoot guy in the mouth, he shooks his head and keeps going like nothing happened. This crap is solved with simple mechanic: no headgear - zero DT/DR for head and some insane multiplier meaning one shot - one kill, or max two for the sturdiest of motherfuckers. Headgear present - damage is lowered, so you don't die instantly unless it's .50 cal bullet which goes through your DT/DR easily and still kills you.

Alex

Arcane
I actually don't think surviving a headshot is so strange in Fallout because in the end Fallout is a setting where luck is an actual (and in New Vegas, even measurable) aspect of people. It could be said you just got really luck as to where exactly the bullet hit.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I actually don't think surviving a headshot is so strange in Fallout because in the end Fallout is a setting where luck is an actual (and in New Vegas, even measurable) aspect of people. It could be said you just got really luck as to where exactly the bullet hit.
Story-related headshot is not a problem. There are a lot of cases of people surviving serious head injuries (Phineas Gage, for example) so it could be anything: extreme sturdiness of the Courier, his luck or Benny's incompetence, with bullet just grazing the skull. But completely naked tribals surviving bursts to the chest is complete bullshit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wouldn't feel like 3D fallout, but it would certainly feel closer to 2D ones. Not that they didn't suffer from HP bloating, but at least it wasn't as comical as magdumping bullets into somebody's head and seeing minimal results. For me 3D Fallouts have always been Oblivion with guns.

You don't remember the original Fallouts very well. :M

Sawyer tested out "headshots are lethal" and said it didn't feel Fallout-like at all and limited viable playstyles. Something better suited for role playing shooters not called Fallout.

Codex Year of the Donut
The impact the shot has on you is determined entirely on the player. The doctor even comments that the bullet must've messed you up if you set your intelligence low.
Also, Doc Mitchell subtly hints that you should have high luck if you choose to have low luck.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Something better suited for role playing shooters not called Fallout.
"Headshots are lethal" doesn't feel Fallout like, but fucking Gamebryo does. Logic! Nobody asked for Fallout to be a shooter.

And I'll remind anyone that head- /eyeshots in original Fallouts sometimes caused knockdowns, knockouts, blindness and late-game headshot crits with powerful weapons against lightly-armored targets dealt enough damage to kill them with one shot.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Sawyer, a fucking expert on "all things Fallout" now. Legion originally was MCA idea and Legion making little sense in FNV is the result of Sawyer completely butchering it.

One of the few big things I did on Van Buren was taking an organization Chris invented and changing it (perhaps mangling it in the process) into a neo-Roman slavers' legion with all the weird titles, makeshift costumes, and traditions of that group.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Headshots are lethal" doesn't feel Fallout like, but fucking Gamebryo does. Logic! Nobody asked for Fallout to be a shooter.

It feels like Fallout in the context of a first person action game, yes.

And I'll remind anyone that head- /eyeshots in original Fallouts sometimes caused knockdowns, knockouts, blindness and late-game headshot crits with powerful weapons against lightly-armored targets dealt enough damage to kill them with one shot.

You can cripple parts in Bethbryo Fallouts and there are ways to knock people down and unconscious in New Vegas. You can also one shot a lot of human enemies from stealth with any gun that does sufficient damage.

Sawyer, a fucking expert on "all things Fallout" now. Legion originally was MCA idea and Legion making little sense in FNV is the result of Sawyer completely butchering it.

One of the few big things I did on Van Buren was taking an organization Chris invented and changing it (perhaps mangling it in the process) into a neo-Roman slavers' legion with all the weird titles, makeshift costumes, and traditions of that group.

Avellone's "idea" for Caesar's Legion was a silly "boy faction vs girl faction" thing with Hecate's Daughters.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
...Fallout in the context of a first person action game...
Impossible; those are each [3] mutually exclusive. Like a dry rainstorm, or a frigid heatwave, or an invisible mirage. It's either one or the other, not both—certainly not all three at once.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
You can also one shot a lot of human enemies from stealth with any gun that does sufficient damage.
I remember, it was fun killing people with sneak criticals to the ass. No relation to headshots, though.
You can cripple parts in Bethbryo Fallouts and there are ways to knock people down and unconscious in New Vegas.
The selection of weapons able to knock-off people in New Vegas is limited, mostly melee, and doing this makes little sense: you can't loot knocked-off people, and you had to finish them off with better weapons. It's not a sub-effect, just a tiresome, but possible tactic. Flashbangs were a good addition, though.

Crippling also was severely downplayed. In original Fallouts, one crippled arm prevented player and NPCs from using two handed weapons, both arms crippled prevented from using weapons at all. New Vegas has just penalties to crippled limbs (applied only in VATS!). Crippled legs penalties were also lowered, characters can literally run and jump around with crippled legs. In New Vegas, two crippled legs give character just 25% speed penalty, whoah!
It feels like Fallout in the context of a first person action game, yes.
An artist imagining
alexander-berezin-v13.gif

madhouse

You don't remember the original Fallouts very well. :M

Sawyer tested out "headshots are lethal" and said it didn't feel Fallout-like at all and limited viable playstyles. Something better suited for role playing shooters not called Fallout.
Well, fuck the Fallout series then, I want my time back. :argh:
An artist imagining
Where is this from? I really like this.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
If your motivation isn't "let's see where this goes" after meeting Yes Man then you don't like shenanigans.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
An artist imagining
Exceptionally well done! [rated it prestigious]

(Though it misses the point terribly; not Fallout-like at all.)

Fallout_Perspective2.jpg

Fallout could make good use of a 3D engine—with FPP view— if it used it the way Nocturne and KotOR did, which is as a first person area inspection mode; you cannot move while closely inspecting the area.

swkotor.webp

As for combat, the player should never —[never]— be shown aiming the weapon for the PC... It is the PC's task to do their own best, not have the player aim for them; and/or serve as an accuracy handicap to the player. Fallout is an RPG, and as such the PC determines what happens. FO3 (while striving mightily to conceal the series' RPG heritage) made the mistake of retaining vestigial RPG mechanics that are the reason that the player can shoot an enemy in the head 32 times and the have the enemy shoot back.

Variable damage in RPGs is representative of accuracy & circumstance, but this presents a problem when the player SEES the gun barrel pressed to the target —and misses, or does any less than a critical hit. Player directed FPP combat cannot be done well in an RPG, because no matter how the implementation works, the player is affecting the PC's performance. Even in the Witcher 2 (for instance), the novice player swings like an ass—at nothing, or at trees, or where the enemy used to be a moment ago... That is out of character for Geralt; the inept player is crippling his fighting ability.

The reverse of this is equally true. In FO3 what player couldn't compensate with the BB gun in the vault or outdoors with any firearm, to hit the target whether the PC was skilled enough for it or not; the PC was ALWAYS being helped to make targeted shots that were beyond their ability—or even being made to miss when they were an expert marksman (by a player with really poor aim).

It is that way anyway (even without the effect of Luck). That's what variable damage represents in RPGs.

Last edited:

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Game reactivity based on character's gender, what a silly idea!

The army aspect for those factions would likely have been as lame as the FNV ending armies, so nothing of value was lost.

I'd still like a faction I can actually control and make do my bidding, though rather than just do shit for.

At least slavery was kept and it sounds like "Caesar" was a derivative idea that wasn't even good enough to use as a name in Fallout 2 based on the wiki, and if it's not good enough for Fallout 2, it's pretty bottom of the barrel indeed.

Semiurge

Cipher
Because the courier is a deep and complex individual. Cool and detached, but will still display his/her humanity when push comes to shove.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom