Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I like random events as a concept but the results should be randomized. So one game those statues act as guardians if you work with them and another they try to backstab you or something.

So you avoid the 'obvious best outcome' issue.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Playing atm after 2-3 years. I must say i have a lot of fun. Much more than before. Also some of mods are fantastic like more events. One thing is sure game just need a way more events and small things popping up constantly as you explore and manage your folks.

My favorite so far event was that in which on one of my planets they found statues well into game (around 15 pop so not new). After a long research route finally i had to pick from three options and i didn't like how that planet with that thing was near my main planet so i decided to destroy statues. Turned out i was right. They were alive after all. Problem was that they had like 2,5k power on land. So they anihilated my puny 60 power army on planet and started killing off inhabitants.

So i decided to do some huge invasion. Pulled out recruitment on all of my planets. Didn't want to lose 15 pop planet so easily. So after a while i got like 3 armies each 1k which cost me a fortune to field in minerals and cost fortune to support.

Unfortunately after a while i got event that some straglers run away to my nearest planet (like +2/3 pop) while rest got killed. So vengeance it is.

I arrive in system and just before i land i get event that those guys left just like that leaving some weird floor after them...

I opened it up and it turned out that those guys were protectors of civilization that uploaded themselves to machines and they are right now in some computer.

Decided to kill of fuckers. Vengeance !
the game is very fun to play just to explore all the planets and shit. I will play for hours and not do anything but look at all the planets and asteroids and shit, fucking looks amazing with the real space and upgraded graphic mods etc..like a good space documentary almost. Sometimes I forget I am even playing my game.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
This one is for all the lovers of all things more or less dead.
I swear, when I first saw the title I read "negroids"... >.<

Colour me unimpressed. The proper way to make undead in science fiction is the replacement of organic bodies with mechanical ones, or at least Borg assimilation. Both already are in Stellaris, making these guys exponentially meh.

first time i've played the game since the new launcher hit, back after a years or so, i had to cut a solid third of the mods i used.
a game which took a couple of minutes to launch, now, with as i said a third of its mods off, takes a solid 15-20 minutes. insult to injury, just opening the races list takes another minute, and in game switching from galaxy to system view also takes anywhere from instant (very very rare) to 35-40 seconds. early game can be entirely played on galaxy view, but as soon as mid game starts to approach performance goes completely to shit.

The proper way to make undead in science fiction is the replacement of organic bodies with mechanical ones, or at least Borg assimilation.

Disagree. Why not chemical means like artificial body preserving chemicals, like techno-mummies? And there's always the chance of something like the T-Virus. Or Frankstein-style people reanimated with tech, made of multiple body parts.

Stellaris also has the Shroud, so they could go with somesort of Shroud-based chemical or tech that "traps" souls inside the bodies reanimated by the chemical/tech. The soul lives but the body is pretty much dead.

so the launcher stopped working, the same launcher coded for maximum steam workshop compatibility. it stopped working because i went into the workshop and removed some deprecated mods i wasn't using. the same launcher coded for maximum steam workshop compatibility now can't find those mods anymore in its list and gets stuck. it's not like the game has a missing file and breaks, it was just an inert item in a list. but, you know, maximum compatibility.
now i can't play anymore with a different setup. ever. well, i have the knowledge to manually modify files and stuff, but i also have the laziness not to.
maximum steam workshop compatibility.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've reverted to version 1.9.1, and enjoy following benefits:
* can play from start to finish
* on big galaxies, with the usual amount of habitable planets
* or small/normal sized galaxies with extra amount of habitable planets.
* Crises are working
* Fallen empires are actually frightening and awaken and attack you if you advance too early.
* AI is not smart, but at least it does something
* Can play with any FTL of my choosing.
* Spend much, much less time on micro
* Special resources (zro, etc) are special and sought after.
* It doesn't take forever to move ships from A to B.

lightbane

Arcane
so the launcher stopped working, the same launcher coded for maximum steam workshop compatibility. it stopped working because i went into the workshop and removed some deprecated mods i wasn't using. the same launcher coded for maximum steam workshop compatibility now can't find those mods anymore in its list and gets stuck. it's not like the game has a missing file and breaks, it was just an inert item in a list. but, you know, maximum compatibility.
now i can't play anymore with a different setup. ever. well, i have the knowledge to manually modify files and stuff, but i also have the laziness not to.

Sweden cannot into coding. I wonder if the updates for this will be slowed down, as CK3 is all the rage now.

oh, yes, i forgot to mention that by skipping the launcher, loading times went down from 11 minutes to 7.

meanwhile, on the official forum, every stupid bug thread like "the game won't start if i have my computer turned off" has answers, mine, which is "the launcher has a timeout for unreachable news, put unreachable mods on timeout too", is completely ignored.

https://github.com/ThibautSF/ParadoxosModManagerRework

as usual, modders save stellaris.
but not entirely, at least one of my unupdated mods still blocks loading at 30%, must wait for more of them to update.

i miss the first influence over systems mechanics so much...
and system defenses too. i want minefields back!
oh yes, also "fully autoexplore systems owned by someone else" is retarded, especially because it's not active for fallen empires. and probably "excavate only inside your own borders" is even more retarded.

Last edited:

Gamezor

Learned
Game grabs you by the promise of different space faring empires, unique alien races. But it is all a mirage, a ruse. Different "empires" and different ethics are different if you count -5% minerals +5%attack speed different. Everybody share the same technology and everybody develops the same way. By endgame everybody is the same. Game has become more and more of an excel spreadsheet simulator, extremely micro intensive. Warfare is a chore in this game. AI is a joke, you can roll over them even on Grand Admiral and with AI mods.

I never got past the mid early game like a little past initial explore expand phase in my two attempts because of this. It’s just too boring and micro heavy. Like they know how shitty the science ship micro is they actually have a tech to help you escape it! I even have a lot of the dlc but more flavor can’t save it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom