Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline POST-ATOMIC Resumed

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
This looks too good to be true. Tell me, what's the catch?
Three months could mean anything between three months and 20 years.

Nah, that experience is derived from refactoring my own Wizardry clone built on my own custom toolset and standalone code. A long haul as a hobby project.

This is Unity bro. Create a data ediitor in two clicks, create a level in one click. I got some massive automation going of level layout.

I think a demo will be out in a month and this game will definitely be for sale come Christmas on Steam. If acceptance takes too long then January.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
This looks too good to be true. Tell me, what's the catch?
Three months could mean anything between three months and 20 years.

!!!!!!newRPG.jpg

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
While working on this character review interface for the library/game, I had a great idea ...

Supposedly these "characters" you are putting together for your party are coming from cryogenic cannisters with previously frozen people stored underground at various times of famine and for other reasons.

The character "creator" would actually be really cool if it was a monitor screen with a retrotech OS running on it that you used to remotely operate to get cryogenic subjects and deliver them for wakeup. If I had a kind of wizard paged interface where you tell the OS to "search" for a match of this type and caste, then permitted you to modify/pick some traits/choose name&portrait, etc. before adding them to the "roster" on the right side, it would be AWESOME. It wouldn't really need a "review" screen if they were drawn out like this.
One would think from the description above, folks would be thinking Fallout, but I'm getting a strong Dungeon Master vibe. You have set characters you can pull into your party from seeing their screens. However, to modify them would add a lot, probably something technically unavailable in DM at the time.

Also, the screenshots and the targeted damage remind me of the Phantasie series - which is something that I always wished at least one single stinking RPG drew inspiration from. So far from what I see, I'm hooked.

MartinK

Learned
Why woudl you put talented people in cryogenic canisters during the time of crisis, when their skills are needed the most? Why would you store them post crisis, when they can be better used to train the next generation of experts? I think it would be fun if the people in the canisters weren’t the military and scietific elites, but a bunch of fat cats, their brats and their mistresses with very little usefull skills. Would explain why your party starts weak.

SevenSidedDice

Learned
I hope the music / effects sound good. I couldn't listen to Grimoire's sound effects and background music for more than an hour. They are unique, but not easy on the ears.

Something on the level of Bastion / Transistor / Hades would be incredible.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
What do you guys think of the original Wizardry style like Elminage Gothic where you wander around the areas but stop and go out to a dedicated combat screen with 2D artwork for the opponents and 2D animations for the combat?

Here are some of the advantages to me in doing POST-ATOMIC this way :

1. Reduces art requirements and asset management to about 1/10 of what they are with 3D characters.
2. Greatly simplifies combat setup and breakdown.
3. Much more intuitive for giving orders (Elminage Gothic does not require a manual to play)
4. Adheres to classic notions of turn-based combats seen in fantasy games but rarely in post-apocalyptic genre (outside of original WASTELAND)
5. Very conducive to relaxing, unhurried modes of play and exploration (nothing happens until you move, otherwise you can go get a coke and a sandwich and pick up right where you left off)
6. Much more graphic artwork in 2D and a greater comic book feel to game

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
If 2D assets in the 3D world are not a good mix, then a separate 2D combat screen is okay. Though I prefer staying in the 3D environment during combat.

Lilliput McHammersmith

I’m new here, but I am a big fan of high quality 2D art and I think it would be a great way to go

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Woohoo! I am so good at ripping off game styles.

My initial experimentation screen is looking a lot like Elminage or Similar JRPG/Wizardry clones.

I lack a lot of the screen effects for my 2D images which really makes the gameplay. (Shaking when hit, slash, spell effects, hover etc.)

I should be ready for some screen shots soon. Looks quite good considering the amount of effort I have spent organizing 3D. The 2D is lower maintenance and better results overall easily. The difference is that my blobber grid 3D environments look really posh and very graphic comic book. I am having trouble finding good abandoned cars to put into the streets with a low poly count and a few other things but its definitely passable ...

Doktor Best

Arcane
Elminage Gothic is a good game. It is wise to take inspiration from good games.

Can't say i dig the artwork to be honest. Too cartoonish and generic. Looks like some Google Playstore version of Borderlands.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
What do you guys think of the original Wizardry style like Elminage Gothic where you wander around the areas but stop and go out to a dedicated combat screen with 2D artwork for the opponents and 2D animations for the combat?

I will buy anything from you mate and I understand it's less work (kinda) but personally I think it's disgusting... it gives away the impression of a really cheap look, cut-out clipart reminiscent of early 2000 flash games

ss_1cdabf1cab41a3e59f9d2ad2969ad755f9db1507.1920x1080.jpg

and a greater comic book feel to game

Please no

Last edited:

Parsifarka

Arcane
Sample of the 2D artwork I am using versus 3D ... I like the graphic feel much better.

OIP.Q-qt1hzJYNZ_42NtGfF6zgHaFl
It looks like a random Chinese mobile spyware; when talking about 2D post-apoc art with comic book flair the necessary conclusion were visuals like those of the original Wasteland. Grimoire was very pretty and we all hope this game keeps a characteristic style, but if this image is anything to go by it doesn't look like it will hold on that front. Perhaps it's too soon to judge, not having yet seen it implemented into the game environment, but on its own it certainly isn't promising.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Sample of the 2D artwork I am using versus 3D ... I like the graphic feel much better.

OIP.Q-qt1hzJYNZ_42NtGfF6zgHaFl
It looks like a random Chinese mobile spyware; when talking about 2D post-apoc art with comic book flair the necessary conclusion were visuals like those of the original Wasteland. Grimoire was very pretty and we all hope this game keeps a characteristic style, but if this image is anything to go by it doesn't look like it will hold on that front. Perhaps it's too soon to judge, not having yet seen it implemented into the game environment, but on its own it certainly isn't promising.

Looks infantile ... More frazetta, less children's cartoon pls

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Serus

Arcane
Patron
This is a good retrospective of blobbers on the Amiga. The 2D art is out of this world good.

Many of those are great, unfortunately(?) doing my Amiga 500 times i was more interested in other genres. Most are on PC anyway. Still between all the great 2d art from early 90s the one of Perihelion stands out. This games always amazes me. Damn, it looks good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom