Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hades - roguelike action dungeon crawler from Supergiant Games

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Are there succubi in it? I need to know...

Well, there's Megaera (one of the Furies).
BTGlq71.png

She has some uh, lines, very appropriately voice acted.

:shredder:

Though there's also Aphrodite, ofc, if that's more your thing.

2BJn8xM.png

Last edited:

Villagkouras

Arcane
Also, the voice acting in this game puts all AAA budget-sucking voice acting into shame. Overall, presentation is top notch. Excellent game for the genre.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Also, the voice acting in this game puts all AAA budget-sucking voice acting into shame. Overall, presentation is top notch. Excellent game for the genre.

Right? The Olympians' VAs do such a good job you feel a real sense of love and support from them. Not to mention the passion in their feuds with one another.

(And soz, fixed the images of Megaera and Aphrodite.)

Sarathiour

Cipher

Supergiant generally take extra step regarding VA, it was quite obvious in bastion and transistor.

J1M

Arcane
Curious what others' favourite set of arms are? (Or their favourite so far.)

She has some uh, lines, very appropriately voice acted.

Oh, and to be fair on the gay guys and the ladies, Achilles. <3_<3

G4Gg2LB.png

His favourite boi also stars in it. :3
In my limited experience (one escape from the underworld), I found that weapon mattered a lot less than having a nice spell like the wine barrel (especially the ice wine upgrade for it) because most of the bosses are too deadly to remain in melee range. You can muddle through the trash rooms with anything.

Overall I'd say this is definitely worth a purchase and I'd love to see a mode like this in Diablo 4. But my enthusiasm for the game was instantly sapped by the difficulty system for subsequent runs. I would have preferred a sequential list of challenges instead of build-a-bear.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Curious what others' favourite set of arms are? (Or their favourite so far.)

I like the Fists (Zagreus aspect for the Dodge chance, goes well with Ruthless Reflex and Hermes dodge boons) and Bow (Chiron aspect for concentrated Special damage) best, and I also enjoy the very overpowered Shield of Chaos for nice and relaxing runs.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
supergiant are terribly overrated. they make decent games with fantastic presentation but that's all. mostly style, little substance. the gameplay are just ok, especially with bastion. it's basically just slower clunkier Ys origin with worse level design.

transistor mechanic is pretty creative, but it's still just ok. never played pyre, it looks just so boring basically 3 vs 3 flash game with some story.

hades i don't know but i assume it's more or less the same.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
supergiant are terribly overrated. they make decent games with fantastic presentation but that's all. mostly style, little substance.

With Bastion and potentially this, I would agree, but Transistor's combat was fucking grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat. Also has the Trash stamp of approval

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Well, finally got around to give this a try, was excited about the setting. Presentation is top-notch pretty muchall the way through (found the music a bit lacking tbh) but the game was fun only for the first two hours. Why? Too much ballinse, boring itemisation, little variation in levels... Every run ends up feeling the same after the first couple. I think this is the last time I check a supergiant game out, everything they put out after Bastion has been disappointing.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Agreed with the above. Game is okay for a few decent runs and mostly because the combat animation looks nice but it's obvious they wanted you to fall in love with the goofy cartoony world of it all and if it doesn't hit you then it doesn't hit you period and you're left with a fairly by-the-numbers dungeon crawler that doesn't provide much satisfaction to keep going. It's too quirktardy for my tastes.

Not worth its current price unless you know for sure you like this type of game. The whole rogue-like genre is infested with this type, nothing you haven't seen before.

I have not played, but honestly the game looks retarded, shit is just flying all over the fucking screen at warp speed and exploding everywhere, including your character, its impossible to even tell what the fuck is happening from just watching it. I usually don't like shit like that, but sometimes I am wrong and end liking something when I play it..but I don't know..looks sort of suspect.. Maybe can explosions and movement dashing lines actually fill the entire screen at the same time instead of just like 75? That would make it even more cool I think.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I've played the game for a bit and got to the final ending (IE credits roll, there is still stuff to unlock I guess) after 25 runs or so.

It's pretty fun but the builds feel limited and kind of blend into one another. Furthermore all the enemies feel kind of the same and the game is far too easy.

The gameplaywise it becomes a clusterfuck pretty quickly and they way you deal with this is by immunity frames when dashing and various immunity skills. This leads to a situation where you are constantly dashing and can't take damage and consequently don't really care about what's happening on screen.

I think the best thing to do would be to remove pretty much all immunity as well as immunity during dashes and rebalance the game accordingly. As it is you kind of check out mentally.

Very beautiful visuals, nice VA and music.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've played the game for a bit and got to the final ending (IE credits roll, there is still stuff to unlock I guess) after 25 runs or so.

It's pretty fun but the builds feel limited and kind of blend into one another. Furthermore all the enemies feel kind of the same and the game is far too easy.

The gameplaywise it becomes a clusterfuck pretty quickly and they way you deal with this is by immunity frames when dashing and various immunity skills. This leads to a situation where you are constantly dashing and can't take damage and consequently don't really care about what's happening on screen.

I think the best thing to do would be to remove pretty much all immunity as well as immunity during dashes and rebalance the game accordingly. As it is you kind of check out mentally.

Very beautiful visuals, nice VA and music.
Yes, I won on my 16th run wielding the GEP Gun Exagryph the Adamant Rail, which has as its special attack a grenade launcher, but even with that weapon combat is too dependent on evading damage using the dash ability, much less with the melee weapons. Otherwise, combat is similar to Bastion, but where Bastion had levels carefully designed around a succession of new weapons, Hades uses procedural generation and randomized power-ups to bolster replay value, and this isn't sufficient to maintain interest once you've experienced all the boss fights.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Instead of making stupid excuses they should just own it. I hate it when people do this shit.

Own what exactly ?
That they're mongoloids enuch anime brest-fed ?

Yeah, they should but it would sell way less, people love apologetic dumbfucks.

The worst thing about that shit is it's just the beginning of anime/SJW retardation invading "western" video games...

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Agreed with the above. Game is okay for a few decent runs and mostly because the combat animation looks nice but it's obvious they wanted you to fall in love with the goofy cartoony world of it all and if it doesn't hit you then it doesn't hit you period and you're left with a fairly by-the-numbers dungeon crawler that doesn't provide much satisfaction to keep going. It's too quirktardy for my tastes.

Not worth its current price unless you know for sure you like this type of game. The whole rogue-like genre is infested with this type, nothing you haven't seen before.

So what are some other games of this type that you'd recommend then? Genuinely asking as I'm really enjoying this and wouldn't mind adding to my wishlist. I played Bastion for a handful of hours but it didn't really grab me and I soon switched off. The combat in this is just great though, all the weapons are different enough to keep it fresh and I enjoy the zipping around. A playthrough with the fists, taking boons from Zeus, Ares and Athena will play differently from a playthrough with the spear and boons from Poseidon, Dionysus and Artemis. There's enough persistence and unlocks throughout the game to make even a poor playthrough feel like it was worth something. The story isn't much to write home about, but the combat and semi-random unlocks really do keep me playing 'one more room' until well past the time I meant to quit.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Most of the time when I play a new age rogue-like I wind up playing Dungeon Hack two-three hours later.

I picked it up on Switch, it ran like shit and I dropped it shortly thereafter. I'm going to start vetting my Switch purchases better, janky framerate bothers me too much to keep wasting money like this.

Early impressions are that I enjoy Curse of the Dead Gods combat system more.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

I liked it too, though I didn't have Hades (or it) affected by relying on Switch perfromance. Was weird to have two such (uniquely?) similar games develop in Early Access at the same time.

CotDG is a lot more 'direct' though, dropping theh narrative bits, pre-setup, and most of the metaprogression. Maybe that more cut down version of things sounds appealing to someone here.

I liked it too, though I didn't have Hades (or it) affected by relying on Switch perfromance. Was weird to have two such (uniquely?) similar games develop in Early Access at the same time.

CotDG is a lot more 'direct' though, dropping theh narrative bits, pre-setup, and most of the metaprogression. Maybe that more cut down version of things sounds appealing to someone here.
CotDG looks more appealing to me honestly, but I won't play it until its out of early access. But it does look better to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom