Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ex Blizzard CEO, Mike Morhaime creates new company named Dreamhaven

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I couldn't find any discussing about this, and can't believe this isn't headlining news. This is HUGE!

https://www.wowhead.com/news=318121/mike-morhaime-announces-new-game-company-dreamhaven

Thoughts?

This is obviously a return to form of Old Blizzard, since there's numerous old Blizzard veterans joining the company and sub-studios, and a big big FUCK YOU to Bobby and Activision.

I'm hyped.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
how many times are you going to be scammed by people who made a good game 30 years ago saying they're going to make a new good game?
fanboy.png

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
how many times are you going to be scammed by people who made a good game 30 years ago saying they're going to make a new good game?

Because the people making the new games aren't told what to do by a money grubbing company that will fire them if they don't agree?

Are you dense or something.

Wunderbar

Arcane
they are going to make a clone of some famous blizzard ip, and the resulting game will be generic blizzard clone that fails commercially.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I doubt Activision was making game design decisions before they kicked Morhaine out of the CEO spot. Until that point the shit games were almost 100% Blizzard's fault IMO.

The reason behind Blizzard's decline was WoW money, casualization and the old guard moving from dev positions to management positions and being replaced by talentless hacks who "dreamed to work at Blizzard" or whatever.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I doubt Activision was making game design decisions before they kicked Morhaine out of the CEO spot. Until that point the shit games were almost 100% Blizzard's fault IMO.

The reason behind Blizzard's decline was WoW money, casualization and the old guard moving from dev positions to management positions and being replaced by talentless hacks who "dreamed to work at Blizzard" or whatever.

Activision might not have directly been making design decisions, but indirectly they absolutely were. They control development time, release dates, Q&A, they control the money, the time, the devs, everything.

Which directly impacts on how creative you can be as a dev, how much time you have, how much content you can provide, or how much of the content you want cost alot of money that Activision will say NO to.

Blizzard used to be about quality, WHEN ITS DONE and just pure talent. When Activision stepped in in 2008, there was a clearcut change in the vision, nature and development of the company, which we've seen ever seen, making most old veterans leave the company in disgust, and rightfully so.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looking at job postings: both studios are making online games (surprise). Moonshot is working on a first-person action game with Unreal Engine. Secret Door is making something with Unity.

I can't recall a single instance of a new company formed by industry has-beens yielding a great game. Not one.

Old Blizzard ain't coming back, chief.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Let's be honest, the Blizzard of old was just good at taking ideas from other studios and creating a polished version. But i don't think this time this approach could work for them. Back then, in the 90s, it was relatively easy to create AAA experiences with low budgets, these days you can't take the "polish other people's creations" approach without a huge publisher backing you. So....

J1M

Arcane
Will be interesting to see if they can create any characters/settings that people care about without Metzen.

geno

Savant
https://www.dreamhaven.com/about
That sounds like corporative speech to me. A pompous way to say they're an AA studio that'll focus on multiplayer and will play as safe as possible.
Hopefully I'm wrong and they will release a game that is good, but I can't see it.

Adrenalith

Novice
Well, how bout Wasteland 3? It was exactly same premise, and they delivered. Also people who have quit Blizzard in regards to recent events and overall downfall of the company since acquisition (meaning Diablo Immortal "don't you have phones" fiasco, and general path Activision-Blizzard pursues) at least deserve some benefit of the doubt imo. Overall I'm happy to hear some new studios and new games will be created outside of already established aaa behemoths.

Old Blizzard ain't coming back, chief.
That's unfortunately true though.

Last edited:

garren

Arcane
Patron
The landscape is too woke nowadays for most western developers to create something truly great. It's all been downhill since the magic of the 90s.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom