Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

I never manage to even get off the first planet because I get so bored fixing the ship
that's actually the most fun part of the game.
next comes getting your first freighter (only to find out it's mostly a money sink and nothing more)
third place for finding the repairable wreck of another ship (only to find out it's somehow leveled and you'll never find a ship better than the one you already have)

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I've tried this at basically every major update and I never manage to even get off the first planet because I get so bored fixing the ship. They really need to make the intro more entertaining than "run around the planet pointing a laser at shit for two hours"
I manage to 'beat' the game when it first released(where you just get sent right back to the start)

I don't even mind the farming mats I need to fix my shit, but all the text is so goddamn slow, takes ages to skip through all the pointless scribble. And to repair a fucking part it takes way too many clicks, just make a FIX button that fixes it as long as I have the required items, instead of the annoying extra steps it takes.
but that's the game.
there's really not much else to do other than farming materials and making fuel to get more materials

Reapa

Doom Preacher
And still runs like absolute garbage on hardware that didn't exist when the game was released, off an SSD.

That is because your PC is simulated.
Also GTX2030 regardless if released today or 10 years ago is still garbage :P

But yeah i switched it on and going with High or ultra brings down my GTX980 to its knees.
seems to me like it runs like garbage on purpose. i tried the origins update and it has poping in ground details all the time at very close range on 9900k and 2080ti. at max 15% and 73% usage. it seems to unload textures to free up ram or gram while you're walking in one direction just to load them again if you turn around. it's retarded as fuck especially when there's fucking 64gb of ram available and 4gb of gram free.
there seems to be as much as 4 different levels of terrain detail and only the very first and most basic one ist loaded in your vicinity until you look at it for a few seconds. you can literally watch the ground change 4 times while looking at it.

Curratum

Yep, you walk on Quake 2 textures for a bit and then it loads up the high-detail LODs, looks HIDEOUS and the system is doing nothing in the meantime.

Imagine asset pop-in from a fucking SSD in 2020! :D

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I've tried this at basically every major update and I never manage to even get off the first planet because I get so bored fixing the ship. They really need to make the intro more entertaining than "run around the planet pointing a laser at shit for two hours"
I manage to 'beat' the game when it first released(where you just get sent right back to the start)

I don't even mind the farming mats I need to fix my shit, but all the text is so goddamn slow, takes ages to skip through all the pointless scribble. And to repair a fucking part it takes way too many clicks, just make a FIX button that fixes it as long as I have the required items, instead of the annoying extra steps it takes.
but that's the game.
there's really not much else to do other than farming materials and making fuel to get more materials

Like I said, I don't even mind that part, it's the interface and how much steps it takes to repair things.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Yep, you walk on Quake 2 textures for a bit and then it loads up the high-detail LODs, looks HIDEOUS and the system is doing nothing in the meantime.

Imagine asset pop-in from a fucking SSD in 2020! :D
did i mention i run it on a samsung 970 pro? it's not even an ssd, it's a monster ssd. but it shouldn't even load graphics from the ssd, i have enough ram for 6x the game.
the game/update is garbage.

Codex Year of the Donut
I have it installed on an nvme ssd(ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro), takes a long time for textures to properly stream in and everything looks really low quality until they do

Reapa

Doom Preacher
it seems to unload textures to free up ram or gram while you're walking in one direction just to load them again if you turn around.
That's similar to how Wolfenstein 3D engine works, whoah
interesting. could be an issue they're having with making these games for console. pretty sure console doesn't have much ram or gram. and they never bothered to change the way the game loads the textures for pcs.

Last edited:

DDZ

Patron
I had a shitload of problems with performance with my i5 3570k @ 4.3ghz and an r9 290x and 16gb ram, got a Radeon 5700 at the start of the year and the performance still sucked. Game was installed on an SSD and no matter what settings I chose it was always shit.

Upgraded the rest of my system with a Ryzen 3600 and now the game runs smooth, no more pop-in and stuttering, though framerate dips below 60 at times, still feels smooth with freesync I suppose. So not a super fast system but it runs fine.

Then again, the game still looks like absolute trash, and it shouldn't give that many people so much trouble.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I had a shitload of problems with performance with my i5 3570k @ 4.3ghz and an r9 290x and 16gb ram, got a Radeon 5700 at the start of the year and the performance still sucked. Game was installed on an SSD and no matter what settings I chose it was always shit.

Upgraded the rest of my system with a Ryzen 3600 and now the game runs smooth, no more pop-in and stuttering, though framerate dips below 60 at times, still feels smooth with freesync I suppose. So not a super fast system but it runs fine.

Then again, the game still looks like absolute trash, and it shouldn't give that many people so much trouble.
what quality and resolution are you playing at?

DDZ

Patron
Everything maxed at 1080p

Everything Ultra except shadows I think I took down a notch.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
alright, i found the problem. it's tesselation. there's 4 levels of tesselation in the settings. first one is standard and standard = disabled. funny how they name things in this game so if you don't read the detailed info you'd think standard is something.
now even on the second level of tesselation (enhanced) there is serious popin taking several seconds to render even while looking at the ground at your feet. and this is one layer of "extra detail". at highest level (ultra) there's 3 layers.
if this is not an issue with vulkan or drivers then it is basically a retarded feature that makes no sense to implement at all other than perhaps for nice screen shots.
it's good though that the devs were not retarded enough to stream the graphics like i assumed on the fly from the hard drive and this is just a rendering issue with a taked on feature.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Everything maxed at 1080p

Everything Ultra except shadows I think I took down a notch.
tell me if you have tesselation on, at what level and if there is really no popin at all. because i tested it at different resolutions and it always creates popins for me.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
this seems to be an older problem, though i haven't encountered it before now. maybe i just haven't played this game in such a long while that the issue is younger than my last try.
for anyone looking for a fix, there seems to b a mod out there that is supposed to get rid of the tesselation pop in while using tesselation with varied result reports. now the mod is broken for the origins expansion, but the modder says he's working on an update.
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1316?tab=files
looking at the comments i don't see how he fixes it and why the devs didn't fix it themselves instead of delivering a broken feature.
there's also a weird report in the comments from someone who claims the mod completely changes the visuals on some planets

Last edited:
it seems to unload textures to free up ram or gram while you're walking in one direction just to load them again if you turn around.
interesting. could be an issue they're having with making these games for console. pretty sure console doesn't have much ram or gram. and they never bothered to change the way the game loads the textures for pcs.

Uhh... No offense man, but I’m not sure if you know what Wolfenstein 3D is. :lol:

Reapa

Doom Preacher

Uhh... No offense man, but I’m not sure if you know what Wolfenstein 3D is. :lol:
i thought he was talking about the new ones. my bad

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Uhh... No offense man, but I’m not sure if you know what Wolfenstein 3D is.
Clarifying the issue:
Carmack also took the unusual approach of creating the displayed graphics through ray casting, in which only the surfaces visible to the player were calculated rather than the entire area surrounding the player.
I know it's not the same, but some similarities are present.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Somebody posted that this game is on sale again ... warning to anyone who wants to try it, avoid avoid avoid. No matter what looks good about this game to you, some other, cheaper game does it much better.

So as I said earlier I like going shooty-shooty in space (TIE Fighter is possibly my GOAT). Since the consensus here seems to be that NMS sucks at that even more than most of the other things it sucks at, does anyone have any recommendations? Not looking for anything super hardcore, but also not so simple and boring as arcade stuff.

Just bought a new joystick and am looking for something Fun to fuck around with. (And yes, I know nothing is as good as TIE Fighter).

Reapa

Doom Preacher
So as I said earlier I like going shooty-shooty in space (TIE Fighter is possibly my GOAT). Since the consensus here seems to be that NMS sucks at that even more than most of the other things it sucks at, does anyone have any recommendations? Not looking for anything super hardcore, but also not so simple and boring as arcade stuff.

Just bought a new joystick and am looking for something Fun to fuck around with. (And yes, I know nothing is as good as TIE Fighter).
freelancer and everspace

freelancer and everspace
Played Freelancer on release and found it okay. Didn’t care for the reliance on piloting in third person and iirc the joystick controls were weirdly shit compared to m+kb. Been a long time since I played it though. Will check out Everspace.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom