Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Saduj

Arcane
It was the only fight I remember where you could disable robots in text before the fight even starts. It wouldn’t be changing the “rules” to get rid of that, if that is what we’re talking about. That fight has/had special rules originally that makes it trivial when it is supposed to be a boss fight. Just making the player have to hack the bots individually during combat would make it harder.

Also as far as immunities go, “ this robot can’t be hacked by a guy standing several feet away” isn’t really all that gamey.

bec de corbin

Educated
Yeah, if they are referring to the text option then I think it's probably for the best that they removed it. It instantly trivializes the entire fight if you do it.

DeepOcean

Arcane
There are plenty(read: massive majority, most) of RPGs where bosses aren't susceptible to various forms debilitations, typically ones causing loss of control.
Not to say I like it, but it's not like they're doing anything out of the usual.
And this is questionable game design on itself, I dont like systems where the game is at war with itself and the only answer the game designer has for that is just throwing the towel and making half of their systems useless to not break the game. If half of your spells are useless against bosses, there is something wrong on your game. It makes sense for a Lich to be immune to Death effects for example but a robot being immune to a weakness you designed the robots to have is contradictory bad game design. It is like you design a ice monster that is magically immune to fire because you made fire spells that broke the game. You are just trying to solve a problem created by yourself.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It was the only fight I remember where you could disable robots in text before the fight even starts. It wouldn’t be changing the “rules” to get rid of that, if that is what we’re talking about. That fight has/had special rules originally that makes it trivial when it is supposed to be a boss fight. Just making the player have to hack the bots individually during combat would make it harder.

Also as far as immunities go, “ this robot can’t be hacked by a guy standing several feet away” isn’t really all that gamey.

It could very well be worse.
It could be the early encounter on the road to Denver before mid-game, where she "sends a message". There's no text option there. You're certainly not forced to fight her there, in fact you are discouraged from doing so. But if you do and manage it (mostly trough hacking or shooting CPU of here OP robots, from what I've seen from people who have done this), you get an early game end.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have my doubts about the mods.
I mean there's a kinda fragile balance between weapon types. They have different ranges and applications. Some have long range but are single target, some have short range but perks that support mobility and excel at flanking, some have short range but a cone aoe attack... some very short range but a very wide cone to cover a lot of ground (even more with the final Big Guns Perk), some short range but low AP cost (and high Strike potential). But then you get to play with weapon mods and that fragile balance gets thrown out of the window.
You slap that +3m range choke and +6m scope and suddenly your flamer attack covers the entire visible screen. Or your shotgun has nearly as much reach with its narrower cone as your sniper rifle. Or that SMG that was supposed to be close combat flanking tool, can accurately shoot across the battlefield.
It kinda destroys the need to use tactics which should be somewhat forced/encouraged by the weapon type choices (moving in close, taking risk, flanking, using cover).

Then you have this entire armor/penetration system. With some unique weapons able to bypass this system via elemental/energy/explosive damage (and lower base stats to compensate, usually). But then you have underbarrel linkage damage type mods, which allow you to mod your favorite arms to bypass enemy armor AND potentially get serious boosts from supporting skills, perks, quirks and backgrounds. So weapon penetration becomes a non-issue and a joke.

Armor mods possibly can become too strong also. I mean base armor seems more-or-less okay, although it is rewarding only if you really invest in it, otherwise you might as well not bother, there's no middle ground. But with mods you can get 100% resist to Energy, Fire and Cold damage. Possibly Explosive too (with Duck and Cover perk from Explosives). Isn't that a bit much, that you entirely ignore multiple damage categories?
Also Critical resistance.. particularly that Cyborg tech which provides 100% crit resist... seems a bit overkill as well. Already 50% would be extremely helpful on a tanky char.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
It could be the early encounter on the road to Denver before mid-game, where she "sends a message". There's no text option there. You're certainly not forced to fight her there, in fact you are discouraged from doing so. But if you do and manage it (mostly trough hacking or shooting CPU of here OP robots, from what I've seen from people who have done this), you get an early game end.
You can simply lose that battle as well and get the ending "Liberty became a fucking warlord now, dumbass". Funny thing that this spot there on the road is perfectly avoidable. Some dude actually replayed the game avoiding the script, captured Liberty and then went on that road. She appeared of course and he easily killed her with end-game gear and listened final song with mentioning about her arrest.
Re "doubts about mods". Doubts?! Mods are fucking broken right now, it's clearly an afterthought, a mess. They need to fix them ASAP. Even flamethrower with double range is a joke, not to mention jackhammer. And armor mods simply require rework.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
First thing that greets me is a confirmation that I was right not to buy this game, and ensured that I will never actually pay for it even on a sale.

image.png

Codex Year of the Donut
First thing that greets me is a confirmation that I was right not to buy this game, and ensured that I will never actually pay for it even on a sale.

image.png
It's true though, they had to change some quests because they didn't want people to think they were based on topical events.
I think it was Infinitron who discussed it

Codex Year of the Donut

image.png
It's true though, they had to change some quests because they didn't want people to think they were based on topical events.
It was Roguey
There's a lot of old laws, old ways of doing business that just haven't caught up with everything yet. We can put the soundtrack on Spotify. That's okay. But putting out a DVD is not.

Ah, thought so.

We ended up putting a warning, if that's the right word... A disclaimer, at the front of the game, saying anything that matches up with today's political events is purely coincidental and was written years ago. Even down to the language and things that were happening, things were so on the nose that we were afraid people would say, "Did they change their game in order to sell more copies to take advantage of the political climate?" And that's not something we would do. We had to put a disclaimer in there, and we even took some things out. We're writing for this crazy post-apocalyptic universe, and here's reality catching up. Even down to the fact that the game talks about "defunding the Marshals" in the game! They're gonna think we did that on purpose, but we didn't. It was written years ago. We didn't want people to think we were doing it on purpose.

:hmmm:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

image.png
It was Roguey
There's a lot of old laws, old ways of doing business that just haven't caught up with everything yet. We can put the soundtrack on Spotify. That's okay. But putting out a DVD is not.

Ah, thought so.

We ended up putting a warning, if that's the right word... A disclaimer, at the front of the game, saying anything that matches up with today's political events is purely coincidental and was written years ago. Even down to the language and things that were happening, things were so on the nose that we were afraid people would say, "Did they change their game in order to sell more copies to take advantage of the political climate?" And that's not something we would do. We had to put a disclaimer in there, and we even took some things out. We're writing for this crazy post-apocalyptic universe, and here's reality catching up. Even down to the fact that the game talks about "defunding the Marshals" in the game! They're gonna think we did that on purpose, but we didn't. It was written years ago. We didn't want people to think we were doing it on purpose.

:hmmm:
Garbage game by garbage people. Unsurprisingly, all the interesting "backgrounds" are locked behind wokeshit pregen-characters.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

What's wrong with that, it's a "we weren't trying to be political" disclaimer to avoid anyone getting mad.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

What's wrong with that, it's a "we weren't trying to be political" disclaimer to avoid anyone getting mad.
"Ha ha yeah we're not trying to be political and here's a disclaimer on how political we aren't, you know, with all the politics ha ha". I'm sure it's just a coincidence that only 7 of the male portraits are white, out of which 2 are only usable if you're some edgetard, two are woketrash, and (maybe) one can be remotely recreated in the character creator. So I guess it'll be defaulting to a gas mask, which no doubt will be invalidated as soon as equipment comes into the picture.
Sorry Luckmann you're trying too hard. Codex consensus has already decreed that Wasteland 3 is pretty alright™, including anti-SJW warriors such as cvv.
I've never given a shit about consensus before, and I'm not about to start. Just because a lot of people share in the same delusion doesn't make the delusion any better.
They actively avoided making the game political(in the sense of discussing modern political topics), it was a good decision.
Shittiest mental gymnastics of the week. 1/10, apply yourself.

Dodo1610

Arcane
In my second playthrough, I managed to get the best ending which involves dethroning the Patrich without any bloodshed.

• [*]You need to be loved by both the Marshals and the Hundred families

[*]which means arresting the LAs Vegas mob and arresting the smugglers

[*]make sure the Gippers are still alive so the city gets oil

That way the Patriarch has no supporters left anymore since you proofed that you are better at the job than he and you can just arrest him with no violence whatsoever. Which means the Rangers are now the protectors of Colorado as well as Arizona. I am pretty sure if Inxile is allowed to make Wasteland 4 this ending will be canon.

Anyway, it's pretty rare that the game doesn't tell you that everything will be immediately better once the king is gone because when you start the violent uprising you have to kill both the opposing rangers and tear up the whole city, which leads to both Colorado's and Arizona's demise.

Last edited:
"Ha ha yeah we're not trying to be political and here's a disclaimer on how political we aren't, you know, with all the politics ha ha". I'm sure it's just a coincidence that only 7 of the male portraits are white, out of which 2 are only usable if you're some edgetard, two are woketrash, and (maybe) one can be remotely recreated in the character creator. So I guess it'll be defaulting to a gas mask, which no doubt will be invalidated as soon as equipment comes into the picture.

If it makes you feel better, you can call one of the main "strong female characters" a bitch before imprisoning her, and kill the other one by running over her with a truck. Really though, the main antagonists of the game are both women, one of whom is the definition of "woke" - who even if you decide to side with, is clearly portrayed to be *far* from morally and objectively right.

I managed to get the best ending which involves dethroning the Patrich without any bloodshed.

I kept the patriarch in power and I don't see how it would be worse than what you did. The status quo remains in power, the raiders are defeated, and the Rangers will play kingmaer when it comes to succession. The people back in Arizona are fed too which is nice.

Edit - I guess by best you meant the most peaceful. In my ending, i did end up having to kill a lot of refugees, but that would've been possible to avoid if I had better rep with them. This leaves the rangers that turn on you. I guess that's more violence than you got, but I don't see the moral responsibility for those kills to be on the player's squad, since the instigator was obviosly someone else.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Apparently, the premade characters do not just get the better backgrounds, they all also get unique items, some of which are supremely powerful, and they even have unique model choices that ensure that they are the only ones that are even capable of matching the portraits of the game.

I'll probably shelve this shit until there's some kind of enhanced edition or something, although if previous attempts at such by inXile is any indication, it will be one step forward and two steps back in all the wrong ways.

If anyone is well and truly desperate to play this turd and have the patience to get through creation, give me a ding for a torrent to the 1.1.1 GOG.

These creatures deserve scorn, not money.

Dodo1610

Arcane

If it makes you feel better, you can call one of the main "strong female characters" a bitch before imprisoning her, and kill the other one by running over her with a truck. Really though, the main antagonists of the game are both women, one of whom is the definition of "woke" - who even if you decide to side with, is clearly portrayed to be *far* from morally and objectively right.

I managed to get the best ending which involves dethroning the Patrich without any bloodshed.

I kept the patriarch in power and I don't see how it would be worse than what you did. The status quo remains in power, the raiders are defeated, and the Rangers will play kingmaker when it comes to succession. The people back in Arizona are fed too which is nice.

Edit - I guess by best you meant the most peaceful. In my ending, i did end up having to kill a lot of refugees, but that would've been possible to avoid if I had better rep with them. This leaves the rangers that turn on you. I guess that's more violence than you got, but I don't see the moral responsibility for those kills to be on the player's squad, since the instigator was obviously someone else.

The Rangers would never work with raiders and slavers the way he did, therefore he must be arrested for his crimes. Also, it means that the people of Colorado get democracy now instead of them having to wait for the Patriarch to die. As I said this ending has no disadvantages and it's the one the aligns the most with the Rangers believes and needs. Unlike Fallout, the world of Wasteland isn't just bleak and everyone is just different shades of grey. The Rangers see themselves as the last remnant of the "good America" the one that believes in freedom and justice, it's why Angie wants to end the Patriach's reign because it doesn't fit their very idealistic views if the Rangers weren't in such poor shape they would never support Saul Buchanan.

The Rangers would never work with raiders and slavers the way he did, therefore he must be arrested for his crimes. Also, it means that the people of Colorado get democracy now instead of them having to wait for the Patriarch to die. As I said this ending has no disadvantages and it's the one the aligns the most with the Rangers believes and needs. Unlike Fallout, the world of Wasteland isn't just bleak and everyone is just different shades of grey. The Rangers see themselves as the last remnant of the "good America" the one that believes in freedom and justice, it's why Angie wants to end the Patriach's reign because it doesn't fit their very idealistic views if the Rangers weren't in such poor shape they would never support Saul Buchanan.

I understand your perspective, but I disagree with it. IMO the Rangers are 1, not well developed enough as a faction to really have a vision beyond those of its founders, and 2, are far too desparate and underpowered to even achieve said "objectives." The game seems well aware of these facts. The people in Arizona are desparate and undersupplied. The current Ranger General has explicitly prioritized survival of the group in favor of following its ideals. Angelda Deth is the last remaining member of the original rangers. Basically, it is a time of strife and great change for the Rangers, and the player is in charge of determining their future. Each of the choices (following the original vision of upholding Good against Evil at all costs, vs compromizing and adatping in favor of suriving and even thriving as a faction) are morally, and objectively valid.

Remember how the game begins: "Every monster was once a man." The game tries to show you how having good intentions is not always a guarantee for things to end well. This was specially felt in my playthrough and the ending I've got, with the horrible things which I had to do to uphold a vision I thought to be "just". The game also does a great job of showing this to be true when it comes to both the Patriarch and Angela Deth. Neither of those two are wrong for wanting things to be the way they are. There is validity in both democracy and patriarchy - and imo much more in the latter, especially in a lawless, post-apocalyptic world. Taking all this into account, I have to disagree with your notion that the world of Wasteland is not a bleak or "differing shades" of gray as Fallout's. Consider how Angela Deth is willing and even desparate to kill patriarch's children to achieve her vision - even when they would surrender. In other words, she is so idealistic, that she is completly blind to her hypocricy. Murdering PoWs is certainly against the "moral code" of the OG Rangers. She is also easily able to justify having rangers get killed by inciting inter-factional war, and does not care if her actions result in the destruction of a civilized city (yes, not ideal, but still better than the alternative) and the death of innocent refugees (which would never happen had she not forced the sides hands the way she did). Lastly, we have to realize that she is basically willing to free a ganglord, and have him export his violence outside of Collorado - the exact same thing she criticizes the Patriarch for (he basically paid the gangs off to raid outside of the borders). You can even tell her this, and she has no valid resposne instead of more hypocritical self-justification.

In contrast, by supporting the Patriarch, I restored the status quo, eliminated virtually all gangs from Collorad, ending internal struggle, established myself as the future kingmaker, and secured Arizona's survival. I'm not happy about the terrible things I had to do, but I stand by them. I would not be able to say the same thing if I sided with Angelda Deth. Now I have not seen the specific ending you mentioned with peacefully dethroning the Patriarch, but you mentioned you have to be in the good graces with the Marshalls - the same people who are directly responsible for so much misery with the refugees and the non-elites of the city. The OG rangers would not accept this either. I really don't think there are any morally right choices here. Just differing shades of gray. It's one man's ideal agains anothers. Most of them have great intentions. All of them do terrible things in pursuit of it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Wait, did this piece of shit actually come with a load-out of 13 pre-order exclusives? A hat, a badge, and 11 fucking weapons given to you on game start?

Edit: Jesus Christ it did, and the cocksuckers just eat it up.

Edit 2:
Massively overpowered pre-order loot, on top of it. The fucking hat alone gives +1 to all stats, and all the weapons are considerably better than what you start with, to the tune of twice as much damage, along with starting with basically all the weapons, including a rocket launcher and a flamethrower.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They actively avoided making the game political(in the sense of discussing modern political topics), it was a good decision.
Most likely reason the game isn't just as unbearable as all the other modenrn Kwan games is it was written years ago, before the culture war became what it's now.

Meaning the next inXile game will be much closer to whatever drivel Obsidian is spewing nowadays.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Wait, did this piece of shit actually come with a load-out of 13 pre-order exclusives? A hat, a badge, and 11 fucking weapons given to you on game start?

Edit: Jesus Christ it did, and the cocksuckers just eat it up.

Edit 2:
Massively overpowered pre-order loot, on top of it. The fucking hat alone gives +1 to all stats, and all the weapons are considerably better than what you start with, to the tune of twice as much damage, along with starting with basically all the weapons, including a rocket launcher and a flamethrower.
To be fair, you can get a flamethrower and a rocket launcher on the tutorial and on the first mission of the game so this isnt a mind blowing advantage.

Suchy

Arcane
Ok... Any way to disable that fucking ranger star character indicator? It's fucking annoying. And animated on top of that aaaargh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom